The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

A good few others tried and failed though Keane. I'd call it a good acheivement, but one that hasn't really been built on. A bit like the legacy in Munster really. Two great HEC wins, but no eye to the next crop.

Up The Middle

Quote from: Keane on January 25, 2012, 04:09:07 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 25, 2012, 03:40:10 PM

How quickly they forget!

This isn't the thread for the discussion, but winning a Grand Slam on the lowest ebb of the RWC preparation curve for Wales, France and England was a moderate achievement.

Unbelievable, how the fcuk can you down play a team winning something like a grand slam, they beat everything in front of them no matter how poor they were. You would have been doing some giving off had they not won it. You really cant please some people
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

trileacman

Fucks sake is it any wonder the Irish win nothing when the prevailing attitude is that we didn't win because we were good but because the opposition was shit.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Looks like Brad Thorn could be signing on the dotted line for Leinster for the rest of the season, that would be savage..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Jesus. Have ye not got enough? I presume this is because of Leo's ankle?

ballinaman

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Up The Middle on January 25, 2012, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: Keane on January 25, 2012, 04:09:07 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 25, 2012, 03:40:10 PM

How quickly they forget!

This isn't the thread for the discussion, but winning a Grand Slam on the lowest ebb of the RWC preparation curve for Wales, France and England was a moderate achievement.

Unbelievable, how the fcuk can you down play a team winning something like a grand slam, they beat everything in front of them no matter how poor they were. You would have been doing some giving off had they not won it. You really cant please some people
Absolutely no one is reading your posts btw ;)

zip up zip down zip up zip down :o
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

the Deel Rover

lads anyone know when do ticketmaster send out the tickets for the final ? Is it close to the final date or do they usually send them out fairly soon after you book them ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Denn Forever

For concets, it is usually about a month/6 weeks before the concert.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 16, 2012, 09:46:51 AM
For concets, it is usually about a month/6 weeks before the concert.

I used to think that was the case Denn only that they issued the Bruce Springsteen tickets before christmas and mine got delivered to a different person altogether not ticketmasters fault an post's as it was my address on the envelope. Thankfully they contacted me and gave me the ticket otherwise i would be still waiting for them.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Capt Pat

Denn Forever

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 17, 2012, 04:01:46 PM
I don't understand it either.

Wasn't the decision about McLaughlin not made in the summer?  And I thought it was a sideways move, not a demotion.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

oisinog

Quote from: Blue and White on February 17, 2012, 05:50:10 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on February 17, 2012, 04:13:49 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on February 17, 2012, 04:01:46 PM
I don't understand it either.

Wasn't the decision about McLaughlin not made in the summer?  And I thought it was a sideways move, not a demotion.

Surely if the decision was made in the summer it would have been announced and would have saved the embarassing situation ulster are in now. McLaughlin has done a great job and i for one wouldnt be surprised if they beat Munster in the H cup.  I'd heard before that Humphreys was putting pressure on to ensure that the Humphreys jr keeps his place at fly half but then again it has never been confirmed.

I dont for a second believe that its a move sideways, theres no way McLaughlin will be on the same pay as the new coach.

I think the new role gives him a chance to get back into teaching. He was on a career brake from his last job so he might have been forced to make a decision give up teaching and take up coaching full time. Or coach the next generation for Ulster and retake his teaching position. I think McLaughlin decided himself not to renew the contract

AZOffaly

No, I'm pretty sure I heard a statement that McLaughlin was 'disappointed' at the decision Ulster had made. He might be a good guy in the development area though.

whitegoodman

McLaughlin went to the ulster branch last year and asked for a full time contract so he could give up the teaching and not have to worry about future income.  The ulster branch agreed, he was awarded a full time contract and a one year extension to his head coach role.

Whatever way McLaughlin looked at the press conference, he knew his contract as head coach was up at the end of this season and he would revert to the hole as head of the academy.  Maybe he thought after impressive performances since christmas they would reconsider but the decision was made well before christmas probably based on performances such as the loss at home to treveso and the away defeat to dragons early in the season.

McLaughlins history with school teams make him the ideal candidate to head the acadamy with Gary Longwell backing him up.  He has done well over the 3 years but ulster have very lofty ambitions and they now want to move on to the next level and be consistently in semis and finals of competition.  It is my understanding that Ulster think McLaughlin has done a good job and brought them to a certain level, they now want to move on and surpass that.

This nonsense of him falling out with Hump over the wee brother is complete rubbish.  Hump isnt the type of man who would do that and Shane Logan wouldnt put up with it either.