Kyle Coney set to reject Aussie Rules?

Started by Over the Bar, September 29, 2008, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I did full back, but it got merged with another SON thread.
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

FOR YEARS the corridors of the Sydney Swans base have echoed with the sound of foreign accents.

Tadhg Kennelly's County Kerry lilt is said to be stronger since the arrival of rookie Brendan Murphy from Carlow, and next year the signing of County Tyrone's Kyle Coney will add a northern twang to the Irish inflection on the training track.

And this pre-season, the playing group will encounter another foreign accent, with Canadian rugby player Mike Pyke the latest international recruit. Having spent the last two years in France playing for US Montauban, he's just glad his new teammates speak English.

"It was quite difficult because in team meetings I always had to have one of the players who spoke English sitting beside me so they could translate," Pyke says.

"Frenchies are really coy, because a lot of them speak English but they don't tell you. There was one guy who would always listen to our conversations and it was only when I was there for five months that I realised he could actually speak English perfectly."

Pyke took French lessons and his ability to speak the language has improved to the point where he slips into it when attempting to hone his football skills.

"Occasionally it comes out because I was there for so long. So if I get frustrated I might swear in French," he laughs.

Pyke, 24, isn't the first or last rugby player to transfer to France. All Blacks' five-eighth Dan Carter, who will join French side Perpignan in December, has unwittingly raised the profile of Pyke's rugby exploits.

Since the 200cm, 105kg full-back intercepted a Carter pass during a Canada-NZ match in the lead up to the 2007 World Cup for a spectacular try he's become a big hit on YouTube.

"Brendan Murphy found that video and I think he's told every player in the locker room to go and look me up."

YouTube played a role in Pyke's footy research as he watched as much footage as he could before trialling with the Swans, but he admits even the highest-profile players weren't familiar.

"I sort of recognised Goodsey and Barry (Hall) but at the same time if someone had asked me what their names were I would have had no idea."

Australia is the fourth stop in a sporting career that has seen him play union in England and Scotland as well as France. In the midst of it all, Pyke developed a fascination for Australian football thanks to friend Matt Woodland, who lives in Melbourne.

"He really encouraged me and said that I would be perfect for it," he said.

And far from regretting his decision, Pyke believes more athletes would switch sports if the opportunity came their way.

"All the rugby players I've spoken to think it's awesome. None of them have said, 'I can't believe you're leaving'. A couple of them have even said 'Can you see if they need someone else?'"

EC Unique

Best of luck to the lad. This is a massive step and will test him in all sorts of ways. I doubt if we have seen the last of him in a Tyrone Jersey ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: orangeman on October 02, 2008, 09:48:01 AM
Tyrone minor star Kyle Coney has confirmed that he will head to Australia in November to begin an AFL career with the Sydney Swans.

Coney signed a two-year rookie deal in July and he has denied suggestions that he was wavering over his decision.

Earlier this week, Sean Cavanagh said that he had advised Coney to reconsider and said the youngster appeared to be "humming and hawing" over the move.

However, Coney told the Irish News that "There are no major second thoughts".

"That was just me and him (Cavanagh) talking," added Coney

The game has lost another great talent.
I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch in the minor All-Ireland finals, especially the replay.
He tormented our backs, a huge loss to Tyrone. Best of luck to him though, its not easy leaving.

ykickamoocow

I know you guys probably dont want to hear from a Swans fan but i thought id ask just how tall Kyle Coney is?

Mickeys beard

Boil the Drawers!

Jinxy

He looks quite tall. I'd say he'd be at least 190cm (I know you aussies love your centimetres!). He should fill out into a big man.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: ykickamoocow on October 02, 2008, 01:39:27 PM
I know you guys probably dont want to hear from a Swans fan but i thought id ask just how tall Kyle Coney is?

9 yards ! 

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

under the bar

QuoteI know you guys probably dont want to hear from a Swans fan but i thought id ask just how tall Kyle Coney is?

Like every man in Tyrone he is 10 feet tall at the moment!  ;D :D ;D

orangeman

What height do you need to be ???

thejuice

pity he's going, ah well, best of luck to him.

I was talking to this young lad who was saying that most young lads his age (under-20) cant be bothered with GAA anymore, it was "too much effort for nothing, not like you could make any money from it". All his friends were happier to go spend their time on the piss and that kinda shite. Seems like pulling on the green jersey isnt that important to kids anymore.  :'(  hope its not true.

Not saying thats the case with Kyle by the way,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ykickamoocow

Quote from: orangeman on October 02, 2008, 02:49:10 PM

What height do you need to be ???

Well if he is quite tall then it would be best if he was between 192cm and 197cm. That is the height of either a Key Position Defender or a Key Position Forward.

Old Bill

does anyone think it was unfair of sean cavanagh to fuel the rumours in papers this week that coney was to stay? i do and i think it put undue pressure on the lad.