Patrick Kielty and A Night in November

Started by Main Street, September 27, 2008, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 01, 2008, 10:40:50 PM
Look its easy to be silent playing the Czech republic, the only way to know if things have changed will be for the Republic to play a game of similar importance to the infamous one in WP. Only then can we actually compare.

It's hard work for these OWC boys to keep up their Mary Poppins image when they are venting their disgusted spleen at the Play, the BBC, Marie Jones, Republic fans.
It's all very reminiscent of right wing pressure groups that we have seen in the Republic.

Kielty understands that the play is about bigotry at that time and it would be stupid to change anything just because the nature of that bigotry changes or doesn't exist anymore. What did he say, something like, 'does someone go back and remove the nazis from the Sound of Music just because there are no more nazis'.

iluvni

Quote from: magickingdom on October 01, 2008, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: iluvni on October 01, 2008, 05:18:15 PM
Must ask the opinion here...

would the GAA allow Northern Ireland to play at Croaker Park?

Would that be harder to swallow than GSTQ when England rugby team played?

as hh already said the gaa in essence have allowed it. in all honesty i had no problem whatsoever with gstq or england playing in cp, hope they do it regularly. personally i would however have a major problem with ni playing there. i'm not going to be arsed debating the rights or wrongs of that but thats how i would feel

I suspect, despite what his holiness said, that there would indeed be ructions about the idea of NI playing. I agree no need to debate the reasons. We've heard them all before.

Secondly, how did the quote of my original comment see Croke Park changed to CroAker Park? I didnt spell the stadium name incorrectly.

MW

Quote from: Main Street on October 01, 2008, 11:37:48 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on October 01, 2008, 10:40:50 PM
Look its easy to be silent playing the Czech republic, the only way to know if things have changed will be for the Republic to play a game of similar importance to the infamous one in WP. Only then can we actually compare.

It's hard work for these OWC boys to keep up their Mary Poppins image when they are venting their disgusted spleen at the Play, the BBC, Marie Jones, Republic fans.
It's all very reminiscent of right wing pressure groups that we have seen in the Republic.

???

Kielty understands that the play is about bigotry at that time and it would be stupid to change anything just because the nature of that bigotry changes or doesn't exist anymore. What did he say, something like, 'does someone go back and remove the nazis from the Sound of Music just because there are no more nazis'.

My issue is more that the play is inaccurate with regards to "bigotry at that time", considering that the author claims it to have been factually based on this point.

My other issue with it, having seen the documentary is that it presents a trite, trashy two dimensional view along the lines of:

- Protestants (or NI fans) = dour, angry, bigoted, pretentious, hate-filled, joyless
- Catholics (or RoI fans) = happy-go-lucky, hard-drinking, always singing and joking

Kind of insulting to everyone.

Also the narrative appears to suggest that 'accepting Irishness' for a Northern Irish Protestant means turning your back on your background (excuse the pun), sporting a Tricolour and supporting the Republic of Ireland.

Ironically enough, Jones has now found that she can enjoy herself supporting Northern Ireland, go on away trips, have a drink and a singsong if she wants, all while dressed head to to in green if that floats her boat, and as a bonus her feeling of Irishness doesn't seem to be diminished while doing it. In its own way, as remarkable a journey as the fictional Kenneth McAllister...

Main Street

So you keep repeating your opinions & your objections and your reasons for both
We do get it.
You are disgusted, insulted and illhumoured on the matter

stephenite

Must ask the opinion here...

would the GAA allow Northern Ireland to play at Croke Park?

Would that be harder to swallow than GSTQ when England rugby team played?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest from an idealogical perspective. I would however be concerned about the trouble that such an occasion would inevitably cause - I think all real Norn Iron fans would be grand but there would be quite a few that would describe themselves as fans but who would make the trip with the sole intention of causing as much damage to the stadium and the locality as possible. The same would go for certain sections of the English soccer support. I'm not sure that it would matter the game be held in Croke Park - I'd say any stadium in Dublin would do these boyos just fine

haranguerer

Quote from: MW on October 01, 2008, 11:48:39 PM
Also the narrative appears to suggest that 'accepting Irishness' for a Northern Irish Protestant means turning your back on your background (excuse the pun), sporting a Tricolour and supporting the Republic of Ireland.

I have to agree with this, thought it strange that kenny seemed to have an epiphany that he could be an 'Irishman' from Belfast(!!?) after all, didnt big Ian himself say recently he was proud to be an Irishman, and this clearly wasn't abandoning his own particular brand of culture....??

T Fearon

I would be categorically opposed to the North of Ireland soccer team playing in Croke Park. As one who was at the Omagh tribute game in 1999, at Lansdowne, when they besmirched our national anthem and generally set about antagonising everyone (one p***k at a chip van with his son was slagging a guy wearing a Celtic shirt about the Huns leading Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final), I would not be in favour of hosting them anywhere in Dublin.

In Croke Park, the occasion  would undoubtedly be used as an excuse by the love Ulster crowd (who make up the majority of the North's support anyway) to make political points in an aggressive way and could well lead to a repeat of the Lansdowne Road riot in 1995.

saffron sam2

I would not be opposed in any way to Northern Ireland playing at Croke Park. In fact I would go far as to say that if, for any reason, NI was left homeless for any period of time (i.e. if Windsor wasn't allowed to be used), then the GAA should offer Croke Park to the IFA for home matches. Of course, the same financial deal as that struck with the FAI and the IRFU should be used. That would at least stop the ferry and airline companies making a load of money out of the IFA and its supporters as they travel to a neighbouring country for matches.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

iluvni

Quote from: T Fearon on October 02, 2008, 09:05:42 AM
I would be categorically opposed to the North of Ireland soccer team playing in Croke Park. As one who was at the Omagh tribute game in 1999, at Lansdowne, when they besmirched our national anthem and generally set about antagonising everyone (one p***k at a chip van with his son was slagging a guy wearing a Celtic shirt about the Huns leading Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final), I would not be in favour of hosting them anywhere in Dublin.

In Croke Park, the occasion  would undoubtedly be used as an excuse by the love Ulster crowd (who make up the majority of the North's support anyway) to make political points in an aggressive way and could well lead to a repeat of the Lansdowne Road riot in 1995.

Did you foam at the mouth this morning as you typed that?

full back

iluvni - another WUM.
Bet you expected everyone to be typing like mad about NI playing in CP, saying no way etc etc
::)

T Fearon

Sorry lads, but I don't ever want to see or hear the following in Croke Park:

Bastardised Ulster Flags with the British crown superimposed, waved in a provocative manner

Union Jacks waved in a provocative manner

The English National anthem plagiarised by an Irish team wearing green, with the words "No Surrender" added.

Chants of Ulster 'Till I die.

And all four of the above and a helluva lot more if the FAI team was playing the IFA team

iluvni

Quote from: full back on October 02, 2008, 10:18:24 AM
iluvni - another WUM.
Bet you expected everyone to be typing like mad about NI playing in CP, saying no way etc etc
::)

Some have, some havent. Most arent remotely intersted. I am, thats why I asked the question.

Your point?

fred the red

Dalymount park would be more suitable for the crowd the north attracts....sure they were crying themselves to sleep at night at the idea of being dwarfed in the proposed 35,000 maze stadium!  :D

full back

would the GAA allow Northern Ireland to play at Croke Park?

The above was your question....

My point is simple, very simple, they would be allowed to play if the Republic were fixed against them
There was no stipulation, regarding Rule 42, about the Northern Ireland soccer team

Hope this clears it up

haranguerer

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 02, 2008, 09:42:29 AM
I would not be opposed in any way to Northern Ireland playing at Croke Park. In fact I would go far as to say that if, for any reason, NI was left homeless for any period of time (i.e. if Windsor wasn't allowed to be used), then the GAA should offer Croke Park to the IFA for home matches. Of course, the same financial deal as that struck with the FAI and the IRFU should be used. That would at least stop the ferry and airline companies making a load of money out of the IFA and its supporters as they travel to a neighbouring country for matches.

This would be a very interesting situation, primarily because I'm pretty sure the IFA would never seek to play in Croke Park - this would after all require their supporters to travel to the papists den...