Irish News Ulster All-Stars

Started by bennydorano, September 12, 2008, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 12, 2008, 01:44:17 PM
QuoteTo be honest if it's from the Ulster Championship I'd be handing out one (Dooher) max to Tyrone.

Obviously it;s not just the Ulster Championship so more than likely Ulster players through-out the league & championship/qualifiers competions, much in the same way as the BOI All-Stars.    Enda McGinley has been Tyrone's most consistent player thoughout winter & summer and fully deserving of the award. 

Looks as if the League has been pretty much ignored with these awards

EC Unique

Im sure the Tyrone boys could not give two flying fucks if they make this team or not. At this time of the year it is about as important as an Ulster title ;)  Did Mc keever not get cleaned against Fermanagh?

T Fearon

Lads,lads,lads, these awards are decided by simply totting up readers votes. It stands to sense then that there's going to be more votes for teams doing well at the actual time of voting, than for Derry who won the league way back in May then flopped in the Championship. Purely and simply its the readers who decide the recipients.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2008, 02:03:48 PM
Lads,lads,lads, these awards are decided by simply totting up readers votes. It stands to sense then that there's going to be more votes for teams doing well at the actual time of voting, than for Derry who won the league way back in May then flopped in the Championship. Purely and simply its the readers who decide the recipients.

Well damn all people in Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal will read the Irish news so I expect those counties will poorly compared to how they performed in  the summer.

Maximus Marillius

How Fergal doc was overlooked for this award is shocking and reflects as Tony said on the people who voted. He practically won the National League against kerry on his won. Thios could prove to be the only national title in Ulster this year ;)

JMohan

Doc did not deserve one.
A very good League all round, but an average Championship contribution.
Good against Donegal in the first half, quiet in the 2nd, Conway and Diver did well in the 2nd
Fermanagh Absent (IMO unfairly), Monaghan - average

ziggysego

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on September 12, 2008, 01:06:37 PM
The winning team was the one I picked - do I get a biscuit.

No, Tony ate it.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 12, 2008, 02:06:57 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2008, 02:03:48 PM

Well damn all people in Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal will read the Irish news so I expect those counties will poorly compared to how they performed in  the summer.
You can just damn the Cavan ones :)
Last year Monaghan got 6 or 7 in the team. That is clear enough evidence for me that Irish News readers are capable of knowing their stuff.

ONeill

I'd have given McGinley POTY. McElroy of Fermanagh was the best half back this year and is also missing. No Armagh player should be on that side for annually choking in Croker.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Slapdash

Quote from: ONeill on September 12, 2008, 04:33:51 PM
I'd have given McGinley POTY. McElroy of Fermanagh was the best half back this year and is also missing. No Armagh player should be on that side for annually choking in Croker.

Tommy McElroy was Fermanaghs best player over the year IMO but for some reason tends to be overlooked by everyone, including his own county.  If it was based on the Ulster Championship then Clarke had to be a shoe in.  If not, then McGinley would certainly challenge him.  As far as I am aware it is based on the qualifiers as well.  Think McGrath's comments showed he was almost embarrassed to get it :-[.

Doire abú

Oops posted this message in wrong thread!!

Main Street

Why don't they wait until the AI final is over?
Do they know something we don't ?

Tyrone Dreamer

If you include the whole championship then Cavanagh has been more impressive than Clarke. He's scored as much from play in each game as Clarke whilst helping out out the field for large parts of matches as well.

FermPundit

Obviously from a Fermanagh perspectve I'm pleased that five of the boys got awards but Tommy McElroy was without doubt the most consistent Fermanagh player this year. Marty McGrath had a decent enough year but there is no way he was player of the year. In all honesty these awards mean very little.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

fan01

really taught that Marty o'rourke deserved an all-star last night for his hard work and determation that he has given to armagh football over the past couple of years.