Who will the Waterford players blame for this.

Started by Stay goalside of your man, September 07, 2008, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 09, 2008, 09:09:59 PM
QuoteI didn't quite catch the exact comments, but he wasn't enquiring of his health anyway..

:)  :)  :)

Thanks Heffo, I was just wondering.  Since Eddie was transferred to Portlaoise in his capacity as a Garda I thought that he might have picked up some of the bad habits from our lads down there.  I have to say the best part of that incident for me was the umpire laughing as he signalled for a 65 ' cause he was watching him kicking Eddie earlier and he called the other umpire over to see what to do. I was in City West yesterday and you would swear to jaysus that they were only kids and far from being as hard as the nails they are on the field.

Nobody has mentioned the referee in all of this - I thought the referee had a great game - When Brennan and Murphy started banging into each other and when Murphy kicked out, he took a look at them, saw that they had copped themselves on, blew the whistle and told the keeper to puck the ball out.

Fair play to the ref - used his head.

SCENTOFSAM

Quote from: Rub-a-dub-Dub on September 08, 2008, 09:58:00 AM

SAME ANSWER AS BEFORE

What a load of balls !!!!!! Kilkenny don't win titles because they get grants or National Lottery funding ! They win titles because they've got the best hurlers around - Shefflin, Brennan, Larkin, Cha, Hickey,Walsh, JJ, Kvanagh etc etc etc !

Money has NOTHING to do with it !

I suppose Kerry get a pile of grants as well

Obviously you are reading what you want to read into this. I have quite clearly stated that I believe that Kilkenny are an amazing team of amazing players, and my boy, you are very nieve if you think GAA grants have nothing to do with how well a team does in championships.

Of course money has to do with it. In the late 80's a number of northern teams decided to opt out of fielding hurling teams at inter-county level and put all of the money into football. what do you remember most about football in the 90's? Do you remember all of those same teams running amok in the championship? Wake up lad, of course money has to do with it, you are probably still a believer that we have an amatuer game, all but in name it is professional.

Great players come through in Kilkenny in a disporportionate way deu to the fact that if you have every kid play only one sport, wou will find the gems like all the lads you mentioned. However, in a system where you have Football, Soccer and Rugby competing for thos kids, some that would be great hurlers would be lost to other codes and we would never know. That is my main point. If you have no other sports competing for the youth, you will of course find a lot of great players.
[/quote]]

Who were the northerrn teams who opted out of I/C hurling. Dont think it was Down or Derry or indeed Donegal but they were the counties who won AIFFs 1991-94. Your argument does not stand up here

theskull1

Parents encourage their kids to play sports. In KK it's the only game in town because thats their heritage. They all love their hurling. You can't use money as the reason why parent encourage their young kids to take up the game.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2008, 10:12:17 AM
QuoteI didn't quite catch the exact comments, but he wasn't enquiring of his health anyway..

Thanks Heffo, I was just wondering.  Since Eddie was transferred to Portlaoise in his capacity as a Garda I thought that he might have picked up some of the bad habits from our lads down there.  I have to say the best part of that incident for me was the umpire laughing as he signalled for a 65 ' cause he was watching him kicking Eddie earlier and he called the other umpire over to see what to do. I was in City West yesterday and you would swear to jaysus that they were only kids and far from being as hard as the nails they are on the field.

Nobody has mentioned the referee in all of this - I thought the referee had a great game - When Brennan and Murphy started banging into each other and when Murphy kicked out, he took a look at them, saw that they had copped themselves on, blew the whistle and told the keeper to puck the ball out.

He seemed to use his head in that instance, but from where I was sitting, Walsh & Prendergast were throwing digs at one another and nothing was done about it - looked like the linesman on that side had a good view of it - can anyone in the Hogan clarify..

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on September 10, 2008, 11:17:18 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

He seemed to use his head in that instance, but from where I was sitting, Walsh & Prendergast were throwing digs at one another and nothing was done about it - looked like the linesman on that side had a good view of it - can anyone in the Hogan clarify..

They were throwing digs at each other - but the ref obviously had "allowed" for a bit of this in the first copule of minutes and was going to ignore it unless it got out of control. 

milltown row

yep good call from the referee, happened in front of me, he ran towards them and stopped, loooked at the goalkeeper and waved him on to puck the ball, very good comanded respect straight away, he'll be doing a few more finals.

whats his background, he's from Westmeath, but what club, and with him being 38 is he the youngest referee to do a final?

Croí na hÉireann

He's from St. Oliver Plunketts in Mullingar and he reffed the AI Final 2 years ago as well...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

He hurls with them still Croí, doesn;'t he? I think you can always tell referees who still play, or recently did. Brian Gavin from Clara is another lad. They just seem more in tune with the game than the lifetime referees.

Croí na hÉireann

Not a 100% on that but I think he turns out for the Juniors when he can. Teaches in Birr as well, must spend the life on the road and have one hell of a patient woman...  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 11, 2008, 10:21:28 AM
Not a 100% on that but I think he turns out for the Juniors when he can. Teaches in Birr as well, must spend the life on the road and have one hell of a patient woman...  ;D

Or one hell of a bad one !  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Silky

Good to see that a big crowd turned out to show support for the team despite the heavy defeat.

orangeman

Quote from: Silky on September 11, 2008, 04:50:38 PM
Good to see that a big crowd turned out to show support for the team despite the heavy defeat.

Sure what else would they be doing on a Monday night ?

Did anyone listen to Liam Horan's piece on Des Cahill last night, Championship man and the aftermath - Championship man went and fed the cattle as usual but took a lot longer last Monday night.

Louth Exile

I would love to get every one of Horan's championship column. Its class, a lot it is tragically funny.... but true!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

orangeman

Quote from: Louth Exile on September 13, 2008, 11:48:41 PM
I would love to get every one of Horan's championship column. Its class, a lot it is tragically funny.... but true!

That one last week was very good - championship man has had a lot of ups and downs this year - but what a journey !

Louth Exile

Quote from: orangeman on September 15, 2008, 08:55:50 AM
Quote from: Louth Exile on September 13, 2008, 11:48:41 PM

That one last week was very good - championship man has had a lot of ups and downs this year - but what a journey !

Yip Ya, found a load of them on the site below, downloaded them all at the weekend, haven't listened to them yet  :)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_drivetimesport.xml
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com