Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 25, 2008, 08:37:43 PM
One gripe i do have with GL is the picture caption competition.  It would seem that you could write anything and win - the winner is rarely remotely funny and clever, i'm assuming dur to lack of entries.  Must try it some time - try and bag a free mug!

I thought that was just me. I read it several times thinking the joke is over my head, but I am not getting it. I haven't a clue what the one with Mugsy was about last week.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

corn02

Picture captions are awful.

McGrath's column is not too bad. A bit dull but there is usually one or two tidbits in it.

The difficulty with GL is that is not really a newspaper, more a features paper, which is hard to sustain.

Maguire01

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 26, 2008, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 25, 2008, 08:37:43 PM
One gripe i do have with GL is the picture caption competition.  It would seem that you could write anything and win - the winner is rarely remotely funny and clever, i'm assuming dur to lack of entries.  Must try it some time - try and bag a free mug!

I thought that was just me. I read it several times thinking the joke is over my head, but I am not getting it. I haven't a clue what the one with Mugsy was about last week.
Yes, that one in particular.  I think the caption must have been matched with the wrong picture!

bloody mary

I agree the letters could do with responses. Last week they had a leading letter about the Down-tyrone game not being on tv and it wrongly slated RTE and said the bbc weren't allowed to cover the game. There was a headline as well about RTE. I'd be pretty miffed if I was them, but you would think the GL would have checked the facts or at least added a comment on this cos as the Sunday Tribune pointed out the bbc simply decided not to cover the game because they wouldn't pay for it. That's why we were taken back to the dark ages of communications by huddling round radios to listen to the game of the year from Newry. Having said all that, I really enjoy the GL. Joe on the back page is a must, the first thing to read, then a flick through to see what big Jarlath is saying, though it's usually tame stuff, McGrath and McGourty don't take long to read, for differing reasons, but there's a lot of work in the GL and good luck to them in distributing it and getting sales going.

cornafean

Quote from: Uladh on June 25, 2008, 08:34:15 PM

Yes and similar with the features on groundsmen, underage coaches, etc. realistically, many less will read those types of articles.

Hogan Stand magazine is full of that sort of stuff. Very boring for 99.9% of the readership. GL is doing fine by taking an alternative approach.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ONeill

I think it's a great read mostly. Sometimes the shop doesn't do it so would probably consider a subscription if it arrived on the Friday morning.

GAA readers are a hard crowd to master. The Irish News/internet covers nearly everything we need so a newspaper like GL needs to offer an alternative. I think it does.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Well they're certainly marketing this week's edition big time. I got an advertising flyer through the post to-day (via first class post) informing that this week's edition will contain all the pre match build up on Down and Armagh. The cost of the stamp alone equates to 36% of the price of the publication ???

cornafean

Quote from: T Fearon on June 26, 2008, 04:27:31 PM
The cost of the stamp alone equates to 36% of the price of the publication ???

The real benefits of increased circulation are not in the revenues from selling additional copies of the paper, but in maximising the rates they can justify charging to advertisers.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Maguire01

Quote from: bloody mary on June 26, 2008, 03:43:07 PM
That's why we were taken back to the dark ages of communications by huddling round radios to listen to the game of the year from Newry.
Some of us were very 2008, watching it on the world wide interweb!

Quote from: cornafean on June 26, 2008, 03:43:56 PM
Hogan Stand magazine is full of that sort of stuff. Very boring for 99.9% of the readership. GL is doing fine by taking an alternative approach.
HoganStand also looks like it was designed by a 5 year old. All glossy and still looking cheap.

Maroon Heaven

The publishers of Intouch Rugby Magazine are producing a free Gaelic Magazine which will be either delievered free to the Clubs (like they do with Ulster Rugby) or given out by hand before big Ulster Club Games.

Being in the offing now for a few months, yet to see it. From what I gather they have a leading editor and Gaa Correspondents writing for it, but as I said have yet to see it.

Gold

i never miss the gaelic life, great read and a fantastic idea and well put together

Brolly's colomn is usualy the best and its generally all good
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

5 Sams

I buy this every Friday and always thought it was a curates egg....it was patchy enough...however todays edition is excellent. Credit where credit's due. It is essentially the closed season in the GAA with not much about to write about however todays edition was top class.

Great interview with Sean Cavanagh.
Excellent article by Jarlath on the changes in the GAA from the time when we used to tr**p through cow shite until today when hoors are claiming compo for falling over on the pitch in Croker >:(
Brolly was Brolly...excellent as usual.
Even McGourty produced an enjoyable article ;)
However Pete McGrath excelled with an article on three friends of his who were involved with him in the 90s successes..Ambrose, Terry Lawlor and Pat "Sprick" O'Hare. Really brings things into perspective.

If you can get your hands on a copy you'll be doing yourselves a favour......and no I have nothing whatsoever to do with the paper.

Well done GL.
The Aristocrat Years

Tyrone Dreamer

Think its an excellent paper. Theyve did well to keep it interesting at this time of year.

Gunnergael

Great read this week, didn't think they could fill the pages at this time of year.  Article on Malawi was very interesting.

orangeman

Quote from: Gunnergael on December 12, 2008, 09:56:56 PM
Great read this week, didn't think they could fill the pages at this time of year.  Article on Malawi was very interesting.

It's great the way they are keeping it so interesting given the time of year. Well done to them.