Marty Clarke

Started by zoyler, August 27, 2008, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

He is a big NI fan, he even got a good luck letter from OWC before St Louis McRory cup final. Should be seen as a sign the times, he supports the country he was brought up in.

orangeman

Quote from: southdown on August 28, 2008, 01:59:55 PM
He is a big NI fan, he even got a good luck letter from OWC before St Louis McRory cup final. Should be seen as a sign the times, he supports the country he was brought up in.

So fair dues to him ! A sign of greater inclusivity and a broadening of minds ! Credit to him !

zoyler

Like Marty I was brought up in the north but a previous generation.  All my nephews and nieces and their friends born & reared in the north very much regard themselves as Irish rather then Northern Irish ( and they are not card carrying shinners either).  Martys attitude just seems strange and odd - and contrary to rest of his generation.  Entirely a matter for himself of course.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on August 28, 2008, 02:15:29 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 28, 2008, 01:11:36 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 27, 2008, 04:32:11 PM
I'll stay if I think I can be as good a player in this game as I am in the Gaelic game."

He'll be home sooner rather than later then so with an air about himself like that!
Whats wrong with him saying that? If you had ever watched him play you would know that he is one of the best footballer of his generation ( I haven't seen any better since Maurice Fitz) . I dont know the lad but any interview or articles i have watched or read he comes across as a very nice modest lad and there is nothing wrong with him being proud of being from NI makes a nice change from other idots who as soon as they leave our shores think that they are going to free Ireland by singing rebel songs and shouting up the ra.

My point was, It's alright to think you're great at something but best to let others say it :-X
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 28, 2008, 02:20:16 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 28, 2008, 01:11:36 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 27, 2008, 04:32:11 PM
I’ll stay if I think I can be as good a player in this game as I am in the Gaelic game."

He'll be home sooner rather than later then so with an air about himself like that!
Whats wrong with him saying that? If you had ever watched him play you would know that he is one of the best footballer of his generation ( I haven't seen any better since Maurice Fitz) . I dont know the lad but any interview or articles i have watched or read he comes across as a very nice modest lad and there is nothing wrong with him being proud of being from NI makes a nice change from other idots who as soon as they leave our shores think that they are going to free Ireland by singing rebel songs and shouting up the ra.

My point was, It's alright to think you're great at something but best to let others say it :-X
Thats fair enough.  :) :) :)

toiletroller

hhhmmmmm thats strange alright. Im of the same 'eara' as Clarke and I can safley say i know nobody from a nationalist/catholic upbringing who so supports Norn Ireland. Fair enough if he does. It is strange how most of us are drawn towards all things Republic when they dont give a shit about us and we are more irish than they are!!!  :D

Jinxy

Whoa there Nellie! This is the usual craic we get when a fella is a great minor and he's lost to the game for some reason. Do you mean he's the best player since Maurice Fitz or the best minor player since Maurice Fitz? We've all seen lads that were the real deal at minor level and failed to make an impact at senior. He was certainly no better a minor than Donie Kingston (who may even be minor again next year, I'm not sure). Kingston has already made a big impact at senior level at the age of 17. Lets not lose the run of ourselves and proclaim Clarke the messiah.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SLIGONIAN

Yee can all say what yee want, and marty can do what he wants. Saying its strange isnt exactly a criticism, only a truth from my expereince that most lads from the north who play gaa wouldnt be long telling me they support ROI not NI and fairly agressively aswell. Marty is different though obviously and can live life the way he wants even if he ignores his past. I am not going to lie though was slightly disappointed reading where is allengiancies lie and his need to show it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

screenexile

I thought he did well last year to come home to An Riocht and win a "County Premiership"

Jinxy

I'm bored with "Marty" Clarke. Here's hoping Brendan Murphy gets a run with the Swans next season.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2008, 03:16:08 PM

Whoa there Nellie! This is the usual craic we get when a fella is a great minor and he's lost to the game for some reason. Do you mean he's the best player since Maurice Fitz or the best minor player since Maurice Fitz? We've all seen lads that were the real deal at minor level and failed to make an impact at senior. He was certainly no better a minor than Donie Kingston (who may even be minor again next year, I'm not sure). Kingston has already made a big impact at senior level at the age of 17. Lets not lose the run of ourselves and proclaim Clarke the messiah.

He didn't even play that well in the 2005 Final, despite his team winning easily, he had a tough time on Tom Cunniffe. Totally forgivable of course, especially for a minor, but to proclaim him the best since Mossie Fitz!

He's not even a Cora Staunton.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2008, 03:18:22 PM
Yee can all say what yee want, and marty can do what he wants. Saying its strange isnt exactly a criticism, only a truth from my expereince that most lads from the north who play gaa wouldnt be long telling me they support ROI not NI and fairly agressively aswell. Marty is different though obviously and can live life the way he wants even if he ignores his past. I am not going to lie though was slightly disappointed reading where is allengiancies lie and his need to show it.

Why? What concern is it of yours what soccer team a fella you've presumably never met supports? Does it make him less of a player or Gael?!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on August 28, 2008, 03:34:13 PM

Why? What concern is it of yours what soccer team a fella you've presumably never met supports? Does it make him less of a player or Gael?!

To me less of a gael yes, less of a player no.

gallsman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2008, 03:53:20 PM

Small minded post of the day goes to.... ;)

Come on, please elaborate on why this is so. I support neither team as I don't give a toss about soccer. Am I less of a Gael for not supporting that heap of shite that calls Lansdowne Road home or more of a Gael for not supporting the similarly manure tinged team from Windsor Park?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on August 28, 2008, 04:01:19 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2008, 03:53:20 PM

Small minded post of the day goes to.... ;)

Come on, please elaborate on why this is so. I support neither team as I don't give a toss about soccer. Am I less of a Gael for not supporting that heap of shite that calls Lansdowne Road home or more of a Gael for not supporting the similarly manure tinged team from Windsor Park?

No your not, for marty to go out of his way to show his allegiance lies with a team that plays GSTQ as there anthem tells me alot about his character. Why get NI on your arm? Why go out of your way to do that? In reality when i watch ireland soccer team its NOT the players i support its the team and what they stand for. Just the same supporting sligo. My sense of identity and belonging.

Small mindedness is always thrown in people faces, im all for expressing your uniqueness on the planet but stay true to who you are. Marty is catholic playings gaa gael from Down i presume. You just dont support NI over ROI and expect to get credit for it. Surely people can see that. Jees whatll he do next join the orange order and be commended for his openmindness and being different.

He can do what he wants, i wont lose any sleep over it and neither will he but in my mind its disappointing and strange.