Mayo Season Review 2008 - O'Mahony Confirmed for Another Year

Started by Barney, August 03, 2008, 07:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I think that story fist appeared about 3/4 weeks ago; he was coming back for an extended break but he intends to return to OZ for the new football season. I can't recall exactly what he was reported as saying but it was something along the lines that he intended playing for Mayo over the winter/spring.
There was some reaction to that bit, if any of you can remember: seems he was assuming that he would walk onto the team for the duration of his holiday.
I feel it was on Hoganstand that I read this but, off the top of my head, I can't say for definite.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on August 20, 2008, 10:01:59 AM
I'm sure though he's not back for good Abbeysider?

No dont think he is. I heard he is home for a while because Brisbane Lions wont qualify for the finals, think they are playing against Carlton in the 2nd last game of the season on Saturday night.

It could be all shite a rumour but I was talking to people who assured me he is home in Ballagh for a while.
I wonder could we see him tog for Ballagh? Or is there rules about player registration before a certain date to stop him ? Dont think he togged out at the weekend for them or we would have heard it. 

I do think that he has to be registered as a player in 2008 for the club to play any part and his contract in Oz might prevent him from playing but I cant we sure.

Tatler Jack

QuoteNot sure if he will feature for Ballagh for the rest of the season but he is back in Mayo.

If he's back in Ballagh he is back in Roscommon not Mayo!!

Saw Setanta O'hAilpín play for Na Piarsaigh a couple of years back when home on holidays. Had a great game and scored a brilliant goal.

OirthearMhaigheo

Pierse isn't back for good I'm afraid. The Aussie rules season is coming near an end (for Brisbane anyway) so he will be home for an extended period as Lar said. I think he said in that newspaper interview he would loved to have played for Mayo if they were still involved when he got home (and given our current options yes I think he would have walked back on to the team). I'd say we could see him in action for Ballagh in the Mayo c'ship though, he would be a handy enough addition at this time of year! As long as the paperwork is sorted there is no problem, as Tatler Jack alluded to, the O'Hailpins always tog for their club when they're home.

seafoid

When Mandela was released from Robben Island the joke was about the first question he asked ' is Martin Carney still playing for Mayo?'. These days the updated joke would have Mandela asking 'are those Mayo lads still trying to make out that austin O'malley is an inter county standard footballer?' 

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2008, 05:26:34 PM
When Mandela was released from Robben Island the joke was about the first question he asked ' is Martin Carney still playing for Mayo?'. These days the updated joke would have Mandela asking 'are those Mayo lads still trying to make out that austin O'malley is an inter county standard footballer?' 

What Mayo lads would they be Seafoid? If you try to link me to any promotion of Austin I ll sue you.

Lar Naparka

In a recent post about Kieron Conroy being picked at FB I'm afraid I may have given a wrong impression to readers here and I'd like to set the record straight; the conscience will bother me otherwise.
When I expressed my opinion about O'Mahony saying he had a hunch about Conroy filling the gap I had intended it to be a token of exasperation and not a personal attack on the man. I had stuck an exclamation mark after the sentence to show I was exasperated. But after reading what I wrote again I realise it could be very well taken as a direct attack on the man.
This was not what I had intended at all. I am certainly baffled and concerned about the way he makes bad calls nowadays, unlike the Johnno of old, but I would not personally slight him.

RedandGreenSniper

I don't think anyone thought it was a personal attack Lar. You've offered plenty of criticism of JOM but anyone that knows ya on the board would know it would never be personal
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 21, 2008, 01:01:24 AM
In a recent post about Kieron Conroy being picked at FB I'm afraid I may have given a wrong impression to readers here and I'd like to set the record straight; the conscience will bother me otherwise.
When I expressed my opinion about O'Mahony saying he had a hunch about Conroy filling the gap I had intended it to be a token of exasperation and not a personal attack on the man. I had stuck an exclamation mark after the sentence to show I was exasperated. But after reading what I wrote again I realise it could be very well taken as a direct attack on the man.
This was not what I had intended at all. I am certainly baffled and concerned about the way he makes bad calls nowadays, unlike the Johnno of old, but I would not personally slight him.
The whole point on having a manager is that he can plan things and have good instinct about how certain player fit into certain roles and O'mahony has bee a major Failure in this regard even by his own standards.
Conroy boyle and AOM being the 3 most blatant examples this year. these guys are not county standard and  our great manager didnt spot this till they played a championship  game and then they were all discarded without trace, and set those lads who tried their best up as fall guys .
Thats not management its reaction. there seems to be no coherent plan for this mayo team. they are being prepare excellently there there is a serious lack of commitment to the team shown by JOM and he really has to leave before he destroys what is still one of the best Bunches of players in the country .  his closed squad was a defensive measure against Ciaran Mcdonald and it severly weakened theflexibily of the squad later in the year and his abilty to mend fences with other players (eg.kilcullens)and replace injured players thourgh the year.
Had omahony had the balls to tell mcdonald he was not wanted as he was too old or whatever , fair enough thats what mangers do. but he ballsed up by trying to be a cute hoor. to mayo's expense
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

I was delighted to see omahony becoming manager but it is becoming clear he is juggling too many balls for it to work.Politics,sports management,funerals and his own family, in a 24 hour day.
Something else must give, Mayo football has given this year.

orangeman

Quote from: mannix on August 21, 2008, 11:36:32 AM
I was delighted to see omahony becoming manager but it is becoming clear he is juggling too many balls for it to work.Politics,sports management,funerals and his own family, in a 24 hour day.Something else must give, Mayo football has given this year.

Busy man !  ;)

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 21, 2008, 01:01:24 AM

Here is the thing Lar, Is it just this year and last that he began to make bad calls. You and I are around long enough to remember the 88-91 era. I rememember returning to work after the 89 final and most people were reasonably happy. However I was struck by how critical 2 work collegues were about Johnno and his management of the game - switches that should have been made. Subs that should have been used/not used, the usual stuff. Thing was the two critics were the most knowledgable men around about the age I am now. One was a former County captain while the other also had played county and both were active in club coaching etc. I remember one saying that he should never be in charge of a county team again. You see it was nt today or yesterday that Johnno has had his critics. Thing is the vast majority of people only see 2 senior All Ireland wins and come to 2 simple conclusions.
1. Johnno is a great manager which means, 2, Mayo must be shite when he cant make anything out of them.

Personally  I cant see how being a TD could affect his judgement when it comes to picking teams and stuff. Most team managers pick teams, think up tactics in their sleep. Surely there are team managers out there with more important and time consuming jobs. I mean Micko runs a string of hotels and Boylan used to run a herbal consultancy or something.

goalmouth

It might be a question of ambition? Maybe he used to pick teams and do tactics in his sleep, but now he might be dreaming about a job in the cabinet. After all he's nothing to prove as a manager he's won his AI.

moysider

Quote from: goalmouth on August 21, 2008, 08:00:57 PM
It might be a question of ambition? Maybe he used to pick teams and do tactics in his sleep, but now he might be dreaming about a job in the cabinet. After all he's nothing to prove as a manager he's won his AI.

I can t even begin to digest that post Goalmouth. You may be right but I see about 3 issues in there that I could not even try to come to terms with.

1 No ambition for his native county?

2 What cabinet and how could that be more important than his county s football?

3. Nothing to prove after 90/91/07/O8 in Mayo. In other words 4 of his 6 years in charge here have been as distressing as we ve witnessed.

Lar Naparka

Like yourself, good Moysider, I have experienced a helluva lot more dinnertimes than dinners where following Mayo football is concerned.
When John O'Mahony took the helm again I did feel that there just might be a chance that our fortunes would improve, although I knew history was stacked against him; 40 plus Nestor Cups, eleven semi successes (I think it's 11) and three Sam Maguires.  Mayo don't perform well when they go east of the Shannon.
All I would have expected from the Messiah was that he could develop the nucleus of a good side; one that could aim realistically for a Big One sometime in the near future; fine if he would go all the way but I'd settle for him taking the side as far as he could.
Right now, I am thinking of Jason Ryan with Wexford, Liam Sammon and Mickey Harte. Of the three, only Harte could be said to have a chance of lifting Sam but I feel the fans of Galway and Wexford should be feeling somewhat satisfied with their managers. The same could be said where Fermanagh, Monaghan and Westmeath are concerned.
A manager can only go so far and if he can hold out realistic hope of progressing even a little further next year, no one should be too hard on him; I know full well only one team can go the whole hog in any one year.
Where stands John O'Mahony in relation to the managers I have mentioned?
I don't think Mayo football is stronger now than it was when he took over. I'd genuinely love to feel that this was not the case but one has to be realistic. It is frequently said that he just doesn't have quality players at his disposal. Maybe it's a fair point but he has had recruits from a succession of strong u21 sides to call upon.
It could also be the case that his endless chopping and changing hasn't helped his side to settle down or develop some degree of cohesion and confidence either.
The coming season, if he does decide to stay, will see him working under pressure time wise and without any degree of public confidence.
Yeah; I do remember '89 well and especially the succeeding years; after '89 it was all downhill and he certainly did not leave with any feeling of widespread regret. But he did not have the endless litany of controversial judgments levelled at him either.