Club
62 (72.1%)
County
24 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on July 04, 2008, 12:07:38 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2008, 07:14:33 PM
Club.  Being a county supporter without a strong club affiliation isn't a kick in the arse away from being a soccer type follower IMO. 
Some of the best supporters of county I know who attend FBD, NFL Minor and U21 matches are not actual members of any club but do attend club matches as well.

Problem was when it came to AI finals these people were lepers when tickets were being handed out. Club members who never attended County matches [ actually resented club players being caught up with the county and affecting club performance] got the tickets and many proceeded to moan about number/quality. Executive men keep enough for the whole family. I ll never forget 96/97, fellas I knew attended County games regularly, waiting to see if there were any scraps or crumbs for them and having to f**k empty handed. Meanwhile people who never went to games in league or provincial championship or even semis were in the Hogan Stand for a final. A crap way of distributing tickets that has caused a lot of resentment. Then people wonder why attendances at some counties' games has fallen?   Many club members hardly attend club games either. A lot of this club stuff is overrated for me.

Probably a crap way of distributing tickets from the County Board perspective - but what are the clubs supposed to do, hand tickets out to strangers who never darken the clubs doorways? The Stephenites have a policy of giving tickets to players who have played championship football for the club that season, after that they look after long term members and people who help out, it's true in saying that some club members hardly attend club games but at least they've paid a membership fee to the club in the first place. I was a member and spent most days back at the Stephenites in the summers of 96 & 97, played U-21 and Junior championship and a handful of appearances off the bench in senior league, there wasn't one player, member or administrator that wasn't looked after tickets for those two All Ireland finals that I'm aware of, and there was a fair few more that got tickets that probably shouldn't have but again the club looks after long term supporters and sponsors.

The clubs cannot be expected to reward die hard county supporters that don't support the club, the County Board should do that whichever way possible.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on July 04, 2008, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2008, 07:14:33 PM
Club.  Being a county supporter without a strong club affiliation isn't a kick in the arse away from being a soccer type follower IMO. 
Some of the best supporters of county I know who attend FBD, NFL Minor and U21 matches are not actual members of any club but do attend club matches as well.

Problem was when it came to AI finals these people were lepers when tickets were being handed out. Club members who never attended County matches [ actually resented club players being caught up with the county and affecting club performance] got the tickets and many proceeded to moan about number/quality. Executive men keep enough for the whole family. I ll never forget 96/97, fellas I knew attended County games regularly, waiting to see if there were any scraps or crumbs for them and having to f**k empty handed. Meanwhile people who never went to games in league or provincial championship or even semis were in the Hogan Stand for a final. A crap way of distributing tickets that has caused a lot of resentment. Then people wonder why attendances at some counties' games has fallen?   Many club members hardly attend club games either. A lot of this club stuff is overrated for me.

Probably a crap way of distributing tickets from the County Board perspective - but what are the clubs supposed to do, hand tickets out to strangers who never darken the clubs doorways? The Stephenites have a policy of giving tickets to players who have played championship football for the club that season, after that they look after long term members and people who help out, it's true in saying that some club members hardly attend club games but at least they've paid a membership fee to the club in the first place. I was a member and spent most days back at the Stephenites in the summers of 96 & 97, played U-21 and Junior championship and a handful of appearances off the bench in senior league, there wasn't one player, member or administrator that wasn't looked after tickets for those two All Ireland finals that I'm aware of, and there was a fair few more that got tickets that probably shouldn't have but again the club looks after long term supporters and sponsors.

The clubs cannot be expected to reward die hard county supporters that don't support the club, the County Board should do that whichever way possible.

Spot on.
There should be some county run system for fans not affiliated to any club but a club has a certain right to decide who to give tickets to. I know plenty of people in my club who give countless hours to the club but wouldn't go to too many Mayo matches, often because they don't have the time to spare with all their other commitments.
Should these people who play a huge role in promoting the game at a local level be denied the right to an All-Ireland ticket? I don't think so.
I think clubs, certainly my own club have done so, will try their best to look after a local who is an all weather Mayo supporter even if he/she isn't involved with the club. It might be in the third round of tickets etc but the majority of people who want tickets get them
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

caraghtyrone

Lets be honest sure without a club you would have no county............Club!

moysider

So was it ok then if people who who attended FBD,NFL and all Championship matches were excluded because they were not club members? I know several people in my circle who attend Mayo matches regularly and club games also who are not club members. Take those fellas out of match attendances and there would be a big drop on numbers going to matches. I know the work some members do but many just pay their affiliation fee and turn up for tickets if the County gets to a final. Yet many unaffiliated supporters would have given much more on gates during the year and over several years and are basically told yo f**k off when a final comes around. Come a final club executive then assumes that these tickets are theirs to distribute to the chosen. I know of a club secretary who served for many years with distinction who was refused a ticket because he was no longer a member. Not sure its the just way to distribute tickets at that level. Some of the people I ve seen handin out tickets I ve hardly ever seen at a County game.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on July 04, 2008, 02:30:48 AM
So was it ok then if people who who attended FBD,NFL and all Championship matches were excluded because they were not club members?

I'm not saying that it's OK - but the clubs can hardly be expected to pick up the slack for inaction on the County Boards part. I'd be in favour of a system whereby a percentage of ticket stubs or proof of attendance at FBD anf NFL games could be redeemed for a guaranteed ticket for All Irelands, but until the county board puts such a system in place it's no use complaining about the clubs, they're always going to look after their own, and rightly so.

And it's not that expensive to join any club and not be actively involved - as you mention there are many that do it. Fans that attend FBD games etc. would be solid GAA men, there are plenty that pay membership fees just to support the local club, why wouldn't these die hard Mayo fans be prepared to do the same? They surely know it'll stand to them come September.

Come a final club executive then assumes that these tickets are theirs to distribute to the chosen.

That's beacuse they are the clubs tickets to distribute to members and others as choosen.

Some of the people I ve seen handin out tickets I ve hardly ever seen at a County game.

Probably too busy grooming the next James Nallen, Alan Dillon, Pat Harte or whoever. Without people like this there'd be no county games to attend.

Louth Exile

On the other hand there are fellas who played county and have never attended a match - club or county - after they stopped playing themselves. 

Don't know too many of them, but there are some county players who have no time for their club.

A lot of what both sides have said on this page is correct, both good and bad. I believe that the vast majority of tickets should go through the clubs, there should be a certain amount made available to supporter clubs and a proper system set up where by county only fans can access tickets through them. The process should be transparent, all paid up members of the supporters club go into a draw for tickets for example.

Two good mates of mine are good county supporters but would rarely make it to a club game. However, over the last three years I would have taken the guts of a grand of them for different fundraising for the club and they have been only to happy to financially support. I made damn sure they are getting two tickets for Drogheda from the club and believe they are fully entitled to them.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Glensman

Being a soccer type follower??
Alot of soccer type I know followers go every week to home and away games.
Not so with my county.

I swing between club and county like the wind changes but am now moving towards the club more and more (as any hope I had of ever playing senior for the county went away about 6/7 years ago!)

Frank Casey

On the grounds that we'll swing a couple (or 3) county AI's every decade then tis easy to say that the club would mean more. All messing aside, for everyone their club, and the fellas that they've grown up (and eventually down) with is always special. Other than a dozen, or less, club teams in the country the St. Patrick's Day out on Croker is only a dream.

Asking the last fellow left in my part of South Kerry to turn the lights out, and milk the cows, would be pretty alright.
KERRY 3:7

Farrandeelin

Both equally for me. I mean I've never tasted AI success with club or county but go to as much club and county games as I can. I cannot for the life of me understand fellas who resent players from (any club) club playing for their county. They should be proud of them. Knockmore members are no better/worse than the next set of club fans. Seen as I don't play Gaelic football I reckon that the next best thing is to support club and county as much as possible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Iarmhí Abú

Would have to be county for me - no contest.  Love seeing the club do well but as I've lived outside the county for nearly half my days and don't get back as often as I'd like, the county has become a bigger focus.   I also feel that because we have no real history or tradition of any kind of success, the Leinster title, league titles and underage All Irelands that we have recently claimed have meant an enormous amount to us.  

I always support our county champs in Leinster and have cheered on Shamrocks, Athlone, Moate, Garrycastle, the Downs, Tyrrellspass, etc but have yet to get the same thrill from a club result as the county provides.

nutsy--1

I'm from armagh and there is no point of dreaming of a club champ, unless u play for crossmaglen so county will have to do.