Previous topic - Next topic

Your club or your county to win the All-Ireland

Club
62 (72.1%)
County
24 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Tyrone Dreamer

I support club and county equally,dont see why there has to be a competition between the 2. People on here might say club but the numbers attending games would suggest county is more popular. Wouldnt call between the 2.

MaroonAndWhite

Club. Killererin have been relatively successful in Galway in the last decade and have won county titles.......but we have fallen slightly short in the Connacht club everytime. Feckin miserable timing what with Ballina, Crossmolina & Brigids around  :'(....we were just shy of the strength in depth they have/had.

So forget the all ireland club.......a Connacht would do and get Padraig Joyce the AI Club medal to go with the AI county medal.

Suppose Sam would be nice too  ;)

moysider

County. Have seen the club lose one and win one. Must say it hurt more when the county lost their finals and I m sure it would mean more as well if they won. Winning the club was something special it has to be said. But winning county has been an obsession all my life.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 02, 2008, 12:39:18 PM
Quote from: ludermor on July 02, 2008, 12:15:27 PM
Your avatar is a bit dated Sligoian  ;)

I know, im changing it today to something a bit more about where the county is now :'(...let me know what yee think ;) when yee see it. I always appreciate a mayomans opinion.

:) I like it!

Champ15

Its a tough one to call. I have won an all ireland with the club and it is the greatest feeling a person could have.The whole of mayo joined in in our celebrations which was fantastic and couldnt imagine what it would be like if we ever brought home sam the county will be shut down for months.
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

Doire abú

Club obviously. And I'd say most of the few people that have won both would agree.

brokencrossbar1

Winning the club was fantastic.  I would love at this stage though to see Armagh win Sam again.  It would top it all for me

bennydorano

Club.  Being a county supporter without a strong club affiliation isn't a kick in the arse away from being a soccer type follower IMO. 

southderryman

Quote from: Doire abú on July 03, 2008, 06:05:12 PM
Club obviously. And I'd say most of the few people that have won both would agree.

county.

thats the problem with derry, far too much club rivalry.

DoYerJob Linesman

17th March 2002 was one of the best days of my life.  ;D

I would rather Ballinderry won a championship match than Derry win an all ireland, there is absolutely no comparison.

CLUB EVERY TIME.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

southderryman

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on July 03, 2008, 10:38:05 PM
17th March 2002 was one of the best days of my life.  ;D

I would rather Ballinderry won a championship match than Derry win an all ireland, there is absolutely no comparison.

CLUB EVERY TIME.

theres alot of people from ballinderry who would never want to see derry win a match!  ;)

Louth Exile

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2008, 07:14:33 PM
Club.  Being a county supporter without a strong club affiliation isn't a kick in the arse away from being a soccer type follower IMO. 

Harsh!! I know some good proper GAA men who weren't prolific in their playing days, never felt that attached to the club and as a result would prefer the county. They still follow the county in the depths of winter and 1st round qualifier matches in South Tipp!! If my entire family wasn't immersed in my club I ain't sure that I would put the club first either!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

southderryman

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 03, 2008, 11:14:06 PM

Harsh!! I know some good proper GAA men who weren't prolific in their playing days, never felt that attached to the club and as a result would prefer the county. They still follow the county in the depths of winter and 1st round qualifier matches in South Tipp!! If my entire family wasn't immersed in my club I ain't sure that I would put the club first either!

agree. very harsh indeed. there are some very genuine county supporters who aren't neccessarily connected with a club but follow their county everywhere. The bandwagoners or fairweather supporters are alot more like soccer supporters.

moysider

Not true at all. Some fellas might have had a bad experience at club level. Some Clubs are dominated by tyrants, cliques, and worse. Some clubs are more about politics than the game. It may be that fellas were coached or managed by a p***k and walked away, or just were not able to compete but love the game. I know lads who never kicked a ball in anger but are knowledegable as the next and love the game. On the other hand there are fellas who played county and have never attended a match - club or county - after they stopped playing themselves.  Rural clubs are usually better when it comes to loyalty than bigger townie clubs where there are a lot of blow- ins and young lads drift away and nobody cares.

Some of the best supporters of county I know who attend FBD, NFL Minor and U21 matches are not actual members of any club but do attend club matches as well.

Problem was when it came to AI finals these people were lepers when tickets were being handed out. Club members who never attended County matches [ actually resented club players being caught up with the county and affecting club performance] got the tickets and many proceeded to moan about number/quality. Executive men keep enough for the whole family. I ll never forget 96/97, fellas I knew attended County games regularly, waiting to see if there were any scraps or crumbs for them and having to f**k empty handed. Meanwhile people who never went to games in league or provincial championship or even semis were in the Hogan Stand for a final. A crap way of distributing tickets that has caused a lot of resentment. Then people wonder why attendances at some counties' games has fallen?   Many club members hardly attend club games either. A lot of this club stuff is overrated for me.