Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Throw ball on July 22, 2008, 07:58:56 PM
From an Armagh point of view I was wondering if we have to find a place for Tony Kernan on Sunday if Maurice Deegan is referee. There is bound to be plenty of frees and this could prove decisive.

Would he offer much from play? Would offer more than oisin did when he came on anyway

wanderer

Am a wee bit disappointed with the result on Sunday, but at least we have another bite at the cherry. Unbelievable relief after Doc hit that point, followed by disappointment on the way home.
From my point of view i'm very confident that we will finish the job come sunday. Everyone has commented on how Armagh stopped playing but by the same token Fermangh didn't even start to play for 50mins. I thought although Armagh were the better side in the first half, it had a lot to do with the Fermanagh players forgetting how they got their in the first place and played into Armaghs hands. Forwards were heading straight down the middle and either getting dispossessed of turning back and giving it to a static man. The running and support play was substituted for individuality. Despite that we still more than broke even in midfield while playing cr%p, whereas Armagh were shocking when Fermanagh finally decided that it was either now or never.
As someone else mentioned I thought the Armagh subs didn't work and the manager didn't seem to trust the younger players. Why he put McConville on, and then let McDonell continue with the frees was a bit bizarre.
Although it didn't work on Sunday, I have heard more than one player say that you an get to McDonnell by talking in his ear. Now i'm not saying it is right, but teams do what they can in these situations.
The fans were as bad on both sides, people booing frees and all that craic is really disappointing

open her out

i wouldn class playing an ulster final in hq as greed id view it as a compliment to ulster teams an supporters that it takes such a venue to stage a game involving say armagh, tyrone, fermanagh.

i would just like to know how many hill tickets were released for the ulster final in 2002 and how many were released for this years ive never seen the hill as full before an i rarely go to any other part of the ground.

mackers

Quote from: wanderer on July 22, 2008, 08:53:59 PM
Am a wee bit disappointed with the result on Sunday, but at least we have another bite at the cherry. Unbelievable relief after Doc hit that point, followed by disappointment on the way home.
From my point of view i'm very confident that we will finish the job come sunday. Everyone has commented on how Armagh stopped playing but by the same token Fermangh didn't even start to play for 50mins. I thought although Armagh were the better side in the first half, it had a lot to do with the Fermanagh players forgetting how they got their in the first place and played into Armaghs hands. Forwards were heading straight down the middle and either getting dispossessed of turning back and giving it to a static man. The running and support play was substituted for individuality. Despite that we still more than broke even in midfield while playing cr%p, whereas Armagh were shocking when Fermanagh finally decided that it was either now or never.
As someone else mentioned I thought the Armagh subs didn't work and the manager didn't seem to trust the younger players. Why he put McConville on, and then let McDonell continue with the frees was a bit bizarre.Although it didn't work on Sunday, I have heard more than one player say that you an get to McDonnell by talking in his ear. Now i'm not saying it is right, but teams do what they can in these situations.
The fans were as bad on both sides, people booing frees and all that craic is really disappointing
A few other posters have mentioned this also but after McConville came on, McDonnell only took one free which he pulled wide, McConville took the next one and missed it. Not a major issue.........the fact that we couldn't get the ball up to that end of the field is more of a worry.

On the Hill issue, there were 4,500 too many on it for the Down match as the O'Duffy terrace tickets were issued with The Hill terrace on them. For me, it wasn't as full as it was on Sunday.....never saw a more tightly packed terrace. Needs to be looked into and fast.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

armaghniac

Quotei would just like to know how many hill tickets were released for the ulster final in 2002

The ground was not full in 2002, Donegal people do not support their team as Fermanagh people do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

open her out

maybe not but im sure armagh an tyrone filled clones before but the hill has never been as full as it has been for both the down and the ferm games

barryownsafarm

The twentieth of July, at last the day did come,
The day of the Fermanagh exodus, to Clones in the Sun,
That day we all awoke early, adults, children, one and all,
For sleepin' don't come easy, when glory it does call

So we headed down the road, through the Bridge, towards Roslea,
And though there wasn't time for Mass, for the boys we all did pray,
The jerseys had all been ironed, the banners had all been made,
But we didn't eat any apples, for the Orchard we were to raid

Clones town 'twas full of colour, and the green was to the 'fore,
Sure Armagh they have won it loads, do they bother any more?
The craic was ninety in the Paragon, the Guinness how it did flow,
But only for us Erne men, for Armagh drink Buckie don't ya know?

The banter was good so in the end, the minor match 'twas traded for beer,
I heard was Tyrone that won it, but sure isn't it all they'll win this year?
And even before the main game started, one victory we had seen,
For every Fermanagh beauty met, was fairer than an Armagh Cailin

When the time arrived to head up the hill, towards St. Tiernach's Park,
A question still drummed in our ears, "how to stop McD and Clarke?"
For with Owensy still out injured, and Clucker at Centre Back,
A niggling doubt it still remained, could we handle this attack?

But as we took up our position, up on the Hill, above the McGrane,
Any thoughts that we were happy just to be there, quickly they did wane,
For this team hadn't lost in Seventy, since Mal had taken the reins,
And it's not for the want of a loser's medal, that a footballer he does train
So when the lads ran onto the pitch, boy did we shout and scream,
For history it did beckon, and we did dare to dream

The first ten minutes were shared, and Tommy got a great score,
But when Armagh upped a gear, we had less space than ever before,
McDonnell pointed freely, and the Orangemen exerted control,
Then Fermanagh heads were in our hands, when Moriarty got the goal

For whilst plenty of time on the clock remained, we thought of that said all week,
That Fermanagh only fluked their goals, and 3 pointers Armagh would not leak,
But time would show that Armagh fans, often talk a pile of sh¦te,
The fact that they've been drunk since birth, still doesn't make it right

We went in at half time, five points down, and not too full of cheer,
But we knew we were a second half team, and this gap could disappear
We flew out of the blocks at the restart, but quick points we had to get,
Instead we got a killer blow, when Clarkey found the net

Seven points down, half an hour to play, then Stevie made it eight,
But we'd been in similar positions before, so no-one headed for the gate,
For weren't we six points down in Parnell, and seven against An Dhoire,
The scoreboard it said otherwise, but out hearts said "do not worry"

At that time we needed heroes, to turn the game on its head,
And so up stepped our Captain, McGrath by example led,
He catched it clean, he broke the ball, he pointed from far out,
Aided by Womble and Macsy, he controlled the midfield bout

So we chipped away, and we got some scores, with each man playing his role,
And the game was turned on its head, when Maguire got the goal,
Now these Armagh fans are myopic, 'tis probably from fighting the Brits,
For whilst they all saw Wee Man in the Square, Clarke's five steps they did miss

After the goal we owned the ball, but the clock it began to run down,
For all the possession, and all the frees, the scores could not be found,
McDonnell scored with every kick, and we feared it was slippin' away,
The end in sight, still three points down, only minutes left to play

But we plugged away, and got two scores, Owens and Doc were now on the pitch
The despair of defeat, the relief of a draw, one minute to decide which,
Once again we turned the ball over, but time was nearly up,
It landed on the right with Doc, he'd one kick to save the Cup,
Doc looked up, his leg went back, he let fly for the goals afar,
Fifteen thousand Fermanagh souls, willed the O'Neills over the bar

Seventy minutes couldn't separate it, so its back to Clones now next week,
And if you listen to the Armagh fans, Fermanagh's future still looks bleak,
The boat they say has come and gone, Fermanagh men left in her wake,
But they don't realise that around the Erne, there's plenty a boats that we can take

For we won't give them an eight point start again, nor we won't miss from 14 yards,
On Sunday we both showed our hands, and 'tis Fermanagh that hold the best cards,
This Fermanagh team don't care for records, or the glory of teams now past,
For in Clones we showed we're too good for Armagh, too hungry, too mobile, too fast

So we'll go to Clones not full of hope, like so many times before,
Instead on Sunday we expect to win, to secure our own folklore,
For even if they're a bit bigger, and somewhat more experienced too,
Sometimes you can't defeat a man, who wants it more than you,
This insatiable appetite for victory, will see us reign supreme,
At five o clock on Sunday, crowned Ulster's greatest team!

Fear Manach Abú

FermGael

Brilliant.  Especially
QuoteNow these Armagh fans are myopic, 'tis probably from fighting the Brits,
For whilst they all saw Wee Man in the Square, Clarke's five steps they did miss

and
QuoteThe boat they say has come and gone, Fermanagh men left in her wake,
But they don't realise that around the Erne, there's plenty a boats that we can take
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ExiledGael

Very good. As good a summary as any I've read.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: armaghniac on July 22, 2008, 09:21:55 PM
Quotei would just like to know how many hill tickets were released for the ulster final in 2002

The ground was not full in 2002, Donegal people do not support their team as Fermanagh people do.

Correct re the attendance - the final attendance that year was just over 30,000, making it the third highest Ulster Championship attendance that year behind the two Armagh v Tyrone games.

The final attendance this year of over 34,000 was big, but not as big as Tyrone v Cavan (2001) which was 35,000 plus, and Armagh v Down (1999) which was 36,000 plus.

Fermexiled

Quote from: barryownsafarm on July 22, 2008, 10:19:09 PM

At that time we needed heroes, to turn the game on its head,
And so up stepped our Captain, McGrath by example led,
He catched it clean, he broke the ball, he pointed from far out,

Nice one BarryOwnsAFarm (but you muist have some serious spare time!). Especially liked the quote above as I think it summed up what turned the game. McGrath was outstanding and hopefully there be more of the same on Sunday.

Anyone got a view on how many will be there this week - seems to be same pressure on tickets this week?

Fermexiled

Tony

I was there in 82, only a cub at the time but remember it well. I know a fair few boys that were also but don't think any post on here. Was reminded again recently about the Fermangh Team photo from 82 with Kieran Donnelly as mascot, why isn't that done anymore - think of the memories/goodwill etc it would bring and lets face it if the soccer boys can manage it i'm sure we can.

Off now to wash my lucky Fermanagh top for Sunday- we've never lost an Ulster Final I've worn it to :P

bennydorano

Our club got the same amount of tickets as last week, which was a bit suprising thought there would have been more because there's no minor match, maybe they'll send 5,000 to Kilkenny for the womens' match?

Tommy Tibbs

Glens let McCabe play in replay 

Shane McCabe will concentrate on soccer duties after the final
Glentoran manager Alan McDonald has given Shane McCabe permission to play for Fermanagh in Sunday's Ulster GAA football final replay against Armagh.

The Glens had expected last Sunday's provincial decider to be McCabe's last gaelic game before reverting to his duties with the Premiership club.

The draw against Armagh meant one more match for McCabe, four days before the Glens play a Uefa Cup game in Latvia.

"I fully understand the situation," said Glentoran manager Alan McDonald.

McCabe started last Sunday's match at Clones after being called up as a late replacement for Liam McBarron.

The Glens travel on Tuesday for their Uefa game against SK Liepajas Metalurgs, the teams having drawn 1-1 at the Oval last week.

Good on the Glens, theyve gained a lot of respect over the last couple of week's in the manner they have handled this situation.

southdown

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but did anyone see the Armagh sub who was warming up pushing the linesman in the second half?  In light of the whole Paul Galvin scenario, he would be lucky to get away with that