WESTERNS

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, June 24, 2008, 06:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

True Grit is a favourite for me.  Roosters line "fill your hands you son of a bitch"  lives long in the memory  :)

Candyman

stephenite

Quote from: Donagh on June 25, 2008, 08:27:35 AM
Quote from: stephenite on June 25, 2008, 06:08:34 AM
The Searchers is the best Western movie ever made

Not even close to the best.

At least I offered one up for discussion ;)

Hardy

A one-legged cowboy goes into a bar.
-  "I'm here to inspect your whiskey", he says.
"In what capacity are you here?", asks the barman.
- "Hopalong Capacity".

(The coat should be given to the original perpetrator who, to be fair, was drunk)

Billys Boots

Bad Day at Black Rock - just brilliant.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Lecale2

A mate of mine loves Paint Your Wagons. Watches it over and over again. I don't get.

Pale Riders was a good show.

Denn Forever

Westerns are films about Good vs Evil.  What more do you want?

For me its Rio Bravo

Or Rio Bravo remade with most of the same people but by a different name which I can't remember?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Jack Palance was pure evil.

High Noon is regarded as the best western.
My favourite is the original 3.10 to Yuma

Windmill abu

I've always liked Jimmy Stewart acting in westerns, "Shenandoah" and "Where the river Bends" being my favourites.

Of the more recent westerns "Wyatt Earp" and "Unforgiven" are probably the best

Agree that the original 3.10 from Yuma was a classic
Never underestimate the power of complaining

ziggysego

City Slickers or Wild Wild West, two of the classics.
Testing Accessibility

mouview

Good and all as they were, the big problem I had with Clint is that he's invulnerable (thus predictable) in all his films, he never seems to get shot or suffer serious injury in any film, (save The Beguiled if memory serves). Didn't like Unforgiven as it was a bit too revisionist; on the other hand, The Good The Bad & The Ugly was very good (and also subtly anti-war). Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West (though long) was perhaps the best of the Spaghettis.

Usually liked John Waynes westerns for sheer entertainment value (see The War Wagon for e.g.) Don't agree the The Searchers was the best western made (people foolishly giving heed to Scorcese seem to think it is) - much prefer Shane or My Darling Clementine. Honourable mentions to Gunfight At The Ok Corral, The Magnificent Seven, Red River and Dodge City.

el_cuervo_fc

I always liked 'Young Guns'.  Thought it was pretty well done

Longshanks

I thought the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was very well done, well worth a watch :)

Hardy

'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' is one of my favourites. Lee Marvin plays the best baddie ever - until Javier Bardem showed up in 'No Country For Old Men'.

INDIANA

the josey whales series was a classic you'd have to be  a complete movie philistine not to appreciate it. and its much better than some of the hollywood cack thats around today.