Sligo Football - Where do we go from here?

Started by Sligoper, June 23, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are people confident In John Murphy's abilities as co. chairman?

Yes
No
Hard to say

the Deel Rover

Re: Tommy Breheny resigns as Sligo boss - Tommy Jordan takes over
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 07, 2007, 11:33:44 AM
I heard about him ages ago on hoganstand. I think it could be a great appointment. I do have a few concerns. Maybe the Mayo posters will be able to help answer them. He won so much at club level albeit with great players but why was he never given a chance with Mayo? He won the AI in 2001 6yrs ago long time not to be given a chance with Mayo. What do the players of crossmolina think of him? I do wish the best of luck and he definitly deserves his chance.

Very excited about the mchale park battle now. Should be a cracker. What realistically would be success next yr to me would be retain connaght at least and put up a better showing in the qf and see what happens...Never look back 2007 is over and I want that feeling again of winning connaght again.

I know the lads on this board think Im stirring regards my comments on Brehony but Im not. I would loved to have seen him do another year because I believe he would of learned from his mistakes but I would strongly disagree with anyone who says he got the best from our panel last yr. My point is he got the best from our fb line and 2or3 others on the day. Hopefully Tommy jordan will sort out the hb line and forwards. Maybe push j davey, mcnamara, ohara into the forwards.
                                            **************************************************
i suppose the reason he never got the mayo job sligonian would be his lack of experience, He never played football at a senior club level he may have played intermediate with the club and bar crossmolina he has never managed any one else.He wouldn't be the most inspirational in the dressing room, most of the players he was managing at club level knew what had to be done to win a game. He is going to find it a big step up. He will have to make swithces quicker than at club level etc, i suppose when you see the cv's of the men who got the job ahead of him its hard to argue

***********************************************
Above was my answer to Sligonain question last november when Tommy Got the Job and looking back at it it was fairly true, the truth is Tommy didn't have the experience necessary to manage at intercounty sure he led cross to the title but in fairness they didn't take much managing , intercounty level is a totally different ball game and unfortunately for tommy it didn't go well for him, i can't see him staying another year
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 26, 2008, 01:13:43 PM
Taking over bellaghy now taking over our threads :P, whats next? If it keeps going at this rate cliffoney will be part of mayo soon ;D. Joking obviously a few of yee got carried away. Anyway I cant complain too much ye showed alot of humility in yer win over us, and went easy on me, fair play.

On Sligo football does any of the sligo lads believe Jordan should be in charge next year? I would sack him and his backroom team. I think we need a total clean slate.

I was talking to a player who was on county panel but dropped not from my club who said he wasnt suprised at all the result, training was lacklustre all year and stop/start and said players werent as fit as they could be

Well that was certainly obvious from the Mayo game. I honestly couldnt believe I was watching the same Sligo team that won a connacht final last year. It was absolutely shocking. Ok, people will argue that we got a bit lucky last year but the performances against roscommon & galway were lightyears ahead of what we witnessed last sunday. And I think there were only 3 personnel changes from the starting connacht final team - Maguire, S.Davey, MacPartland replaced by Neachtain, McHugh, Gaughan.

All concerned need to hold themselves accountable. As Teeling Gael alluded to earlier in this thread, Jordan got it wrong from the start when he elected to go with the exact same backroom team. Big mistake. And from the performances in the league & ch'ship, the fitness/condition of the players & the insane gameplan, there are huge doubts whether he's up for the job.

I still think there's plenty of good days ahead in the future. Alot of work has been done at underage level, and in the next couple of years I'd be surprised if we're not close to winning a connacht minor title. More needs to be done in order to keep the conveyor belt moving.

As for the current senior team, a few players will certainly be thinking about packing it in but there's still a good spine to work with - our full back line is very solid so not really concerned there. The half back line certainly needs strenghtening up and other than neachtain, egan, davey, mcgovern Im not sure if we have too many options. Midfield is a concern - O'hara cant cut it there anymore so probably quinn & taylor will be the main men - what about beirne? - can he make the step up??? As for forwards, I'd like to see o'hara tried out in the full forward role - we were crying out for a ball winner in there and o'hara is as good as it gets. And he still has the pace. It's worked for tourlestrane so maybe it's worth a shot at county level. Kelly has stepped up big time and he's the real deal. Gaughan will also improve and I'd like to see Coen getting a run. Brehony will probably soldier on but he's a very weak centre forward. Curran has guts but I dont think he offers enough at that level. McGowan, MacPartland - will they continue???

Use the TM cup to try lads like mchugh, beirne, coen, gaughan, daniel davey, mcgowan, wilson. next season has to be about getting promoted and blooding some of the youth. If some of the younger lads can develop the way kelly is progressing, we wont be in bad shape.  

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 26, 2008, 01:13:43 PM
I was talking to a player who was on county panel but dropped not from my club who said he wasnt suprised at all the result, training was lacklustre all year and stop/start and said players werent as fit as they could be. 

I heard the same and i heard a few players had a few words with the management on this.
Quote from: stevo-08 on June 26, 2008, 02:07:54 PM
As for the current senior team, a few players will certainly be thinking about packing it in but there's still a good spine to work with - our full back line is very solid so not really concerned there. The half back line certainly needs strenghtening up and other than neachtain, egan, davey, mcgovern Im not sure if we have too many options. Midfield is a concern - O'hara cant cut it there anymore so probably quinn & taylor will be the main men - what about beirne? - can he make the step up??? As for forwards, I'd like to see o'hara tried out in the full forward role - we were crying out for a ball winner in there and o'hara is as good as it gets. And he still has the pace. It's worked for tourlestrane so maybe it's worth a shot at county level. Kelly has stepped up big time and he's the real deal. Gaughan will also improve and I'd like to see Coen getting a run. Brehony will probably soldier on but he's a very weak centre forward. Curran has guts but I dont think he offers enough at that level. McGowan, MacPartland - will they continue???

Some good points there Stevo. Eamon is definately not able for midfield anymore. The Parsons lad is 12 years younger and was too mobile. Plus Eamon got a cheap booking early on rather than using the booking to welcome the young Curry lad to championship football ;)
Tourlestrane used 2 younger lads at midfield and put Eamon centre forward to good affect. Both midfielders are under 21 this year and are well over 6 foot. They also performed very well against McGarrity, Harte and Brady in the Connaught championship. Midfield was too small last Sunday and Clarke took advantage ballooning high kickouts on top of Parsons and McGarrity.

Mano

Another thing i heard from a source within the camp. Sligo were training in Castlebar on Sunday a week before the game. They were having a training game between the starting team against the rest. 40 minutes in the session they notice someone in the press box-who was it but O'Mahony-the sneaky prxxx.
County boards will soon have to start hiring security personel to ensure their plans are not revealed before championship games if that behavior starts.

moysider

Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2008, 05:21:37 PM
Another thing i heard from a source within the camp. Sligo were training in Castlebar on Sunday a week before the game. They were having a training game between the starting team against the rest. 40 minutes in the session they notice someone in the press box-who was it but O'Mahony-the sneaky prxxx.
County boards will soon have to start hiring security personel to ensure their plans are not revealed before championship games if that behavior starts.

Lovely f****** lovely. Pay him better if he paid a visit to McDonald. Why am I not surprised by this? I d expect nothing  else from the man. Did they run him out or invite him to take the rest of the session?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2008, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2008, 05:21:37 PM

Lovely f****** lovely. Pay him better if he paid a visit to McDonald. Why am I not surprised by this? I d expect nothing  else from the man. Did they run him out or invite him to take the rest of the session?

:D :D :D very Good moysider
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Sligoper

Here lads, i guarentee you now, Tommy Jordan will be in charge next year. Inside info
Go on the Bunnies!

Farrandeelin

Going back to the Ballina boundaries, we have 2 brothers from the same townland as me playing for Knockmore and the other for Ardnaree as somebody rightly said. I never played football due to a heart condition but am a Knockmore man ;D, as the little stream that flows and separates the 2 parishes runs a bit to the North of my house. I once stood in 3 parishes, Ardagh being the other one... let's not go there!!! The Ardnaree one always puzzled me, perhaps if I re-read the post, I will see where the Ardnaree border is.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stevo-08

Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2008, 04:40:36 PM

Some good points there Stevo. Eamon is definately not able for midfield anymore. The Parsons lad is 12 years younger and was too mobile. Plus Eamon got a cheap booking early on rather than using the booking to welcome the young Curry lad to championship football ;)
Tourlestrane used 2 younger lads at midfield and put Eamon centre forward to good affect. Both midfielders are under 21 this year and are well over 6 foot. They also performed very well against McGarrity, Harte and Brady in the Connaught championship. Midfield was too small last Sunday and Clarke took advantage ballooning high kickouts on top of Parsons and McGarrity.

Forgot about Henry in my post above. Have always been impressed with him whenever I saw him play, would rate him much higher than Gilmartin but obviously the senior selectors think differently. Would like to see Henry given a chance in the TM cup.

Quote from: Sligoper on June 26, 2008, 05:56:53 PM
Here lads, i guarentee you now, Tommy Jordan will be in charge next year. Inside info

ah now, its been a depressing enough week as it is. No need for that sort of talk...

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 26, 2008, 10:12:54 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 26, 2008, 04:40:36 PM

Forgot about Henry in my post above. Have always been impressed with him whenever I saw him play, would rate him much higher than Gilmartin but obviously the senior selectors think differently. Would like to see Henry given a chance in the TM cup.

Quote from: Sligoper on June 26, 2008, 05:56:53 PM

ah now, its been a depressing enough week as it is. No need for that sort of talk...

Lads i agree about ohara, just posted on hoganstand ohara thread i see him at FF or roaming aroung the forward line. He is just not cutout for midfield consistently as he used to be. Also i dont see quinn there either next yr. Just not mobile enough IMO and not the future. People seem to forget T Taylor a forgotten man but in last yrs league came good with a few outstanding showings in he latter stages of the nfl. He is fine footballer too. To me if he is fit he is a definite starter at midfield if regains his form after long injury layoff. I know he is back for his club and im looking forward to seeing him in club championship.

Id like to see either henry or wilson get the other midfield role. Dont rate gilmartin as highly as other 2. Henry has bags off football abilty along with a good engine and a bit of pace. Wilson who i see week in week out is outstanding for us, great reader of the game, ball winner, passing execution and his workrate is top class and can field it when ball is in his direction. He doesnt have a burst of speed but has one gear and that never waivers with good stamina.  Wilson pulled out of panel in april to give a long term shoulder injury some rest, he only came back for us 2 weeks ago. He needs to get it looked at in the closed season and hopefully raring to go come january.

We have to remember next yr its div4 and we should use that to give players a chance especially young ones. Like id say if i really thought about it i could give 15 reasons to get rid of jordan. One would his stupidity during league, phillips never got a look in and then 2nd sub in CSFC. That should not happen, he was starting kivelhan and beirne all league until he copped on.

Time to blood youth and get rid of dead weight.

Murphy has come out publicy and backed Jordan in all the local newspapers so its likely he'll be back. Quotes from champion "Tommy has a proven track record in CLUB MANAGEMENT and we remain convinced he is the right man to take Sligo forward"  ::) "the main thing is to remain commited to taking sligo forward over the next couple of yrs and despite last sundays performance, WE BELIEVE WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK"  ::)

John kent is quoted saying "SLIGO we way off the pace" is that not managements responsibilty to make sure the lads are fit and ready. Is that not a minimum requirement.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 26, 2008, 10:04:13 PM
Going back to the Ballina boundaries, we have 2 brothers from the same townland as me playing for Knockmore and the other for Ardnaree as somebody rightly said. I never played football due to a heart condition but am a Knockmore man ;D, as the little stream that flows and separates the 2 parishes runs a bit to the North of my house. I once stood in 3 parishes, Ardagh being the other one... let's not go there!!! The Ardnaree one always puzzled me, perhaps if I re-read the post, I will see where the Ardnaree border is.

Try lookin at a map. It should be the River Moy Farandeelin. There was once a politician who campaigned to have a bridge built across the mighty River moy at Mount Falcon so the Knockmore farmers could get their turf home from the bog  in Béal a Bó without going into Ballina. Dont know if he got elected but the bridge was never built.

Now as far as I know before Knockmore became a seperate club they used to play with Bonniconlon which is also the far side of the river but further south if that makes any sense.

Frank Casey

I once stood in 3 parishes

If we cut you off at the knees would it make you a tripod.

You're talking the talk but can you walk the walk ??? ???
KERRY 3:7

moysider

Quote from: Frank Casey on June 26, 2008, 11:05:07 PM
I once stood in 3 parishes

If we cut you off at the knees would it make you a tripod.

You're talking the talk but can you walk the walk ??? ???

Nice one Frank, nice one. I was thinkin myself it would be a fair man to plant a leg on either side of the River Moy - even in a Summer drought. Handy for nettin a few silvery fellas too.

SLIGONIAN

No offence mayolads but wasnt there another thread made for ye to continue yer discussion...................Look i wasnt myself earlier in the week when i was ranting and ravving and just coming out my depression now and starting to talk some sense at last and think straight (ie im over the parsons thing) and want debate about our future with the sligo lads and not anymore parish debate. Cheers...i think its on page 2 or 3 if yee look.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 26, 2008, 11:23:22 PM
No offence mayolads but wasnt there another thread made for ye to continue yer discussion...................Look i wasnt myself earlier in the week when i was ranting and ravving and just coming out my depression now and starting to talk some sense at last and think straight (ie im over the parsons thing) and want debate about our future with the sligo lads and not anymore parish debate. Cheers...i think its on page 2 or 3 if yee look.

Good to see your nearly back to your old self. As regards debate. Ye need 2 things.

* New management. Regardless of whose to blame a manager can not continue in those circumstances. No cedability goin back in to those players. They wont believe in him and he wont thrust them. Mayo Board shafted Moran [wrongly in my opinion, obviously] after 1 year and for losing an AIF. Yet we played much better than Sligo did against a great team. Management has to go.

* At least 5 new players and maybe more with 2 midfielders being a priority as well as a centre half back. O Hara could still do a job at 6, 11 or 14.

Good luck to ye.