Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo51

parsons man of the match on midwest.

GalwayBayBoy

Couldn't watch the game on the net due to power cuts in Galway today. Listened to a bit on the radio and the commentators were saying that Sligo were brutal all over the field and looked every inch a division 4 team. That said Mayo won easily and that along with home advantage should make them hot favourites for the Connacht final now. Sure we will turn up anyway.

Maguire01

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 22, 2008, 05:27:07 PM
Couldn't watch the game on the net due to power cuts in Galway today. Listened to a bit on the radio and the commentators were saying that Sligo were brutal all over the field and looked every inch a division 4 team. That said Mayo won easily and that along with home advantage should make them hot favourites for the Connacht final now. Sure we will turn up anyway.
And the mind games begin!  :D

Owenmoresider

One could launch into a tirade about how inept a display that was, and how some players should not bee seen in black and white again, but what's the point really? Dreadful beyond belief.

INDIANA

went pretty much as expected. as i said during the week i couldn't understand the pessimism of a county that has contested 2 all-ireland finals recently coming up against a side that had a poor league and is a div 4 team.

mannix

As i said before, what were you expecting? Division 4 for a reason, galway should fight better than sligo.
Sorry for sligo fans but thats the way of the world, Mayo will be in the same boat soon enough judging by the display today.

Farrandeelin

Terrible game, Mayo did enough but Sligo were useless. Hard to see Mayo getting it that handy against Galway as Galway seem to rise the physicality against us. Anyway we're in Connacht final now. I could go on and annoy the hell out of Sligonian but it wouldn't be worth my while as I realise our forwards need to improve immensely for the next day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: mannix on June 22, 2008, 07:35:53 PM
As i said before, what were you expecting? Division 4 for a reason, galway should fight better than sligo.
Sorry for sligo fans but thats the way of the world, Mayo will be in the same boat soon enough judging by the display today.

Do you mean we ll be in division 4 or hammered by 13 points soon enough Mannix.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 22, 2008, 08:12:23 PM
Terrible game, Mayo did enough but Sligo were useless. Hard to see Mayo getting it that handy against Galway as Galway seem to rise the physicality against us. Anyway we're in Connacht final now. I could go on and annoy the hell out of Sligonian but it wouldn't be worth my while as I realise our forwards need to improve immensely for the next day.

Yeah we were stuck on six points for a long time today. Thought the forwards should have been freshened up sooner. If we had a forward like Mattie Forde we would have shot the lights out.

blast05

So, Mayo with 2 chances to make it to the quarters having played 1 game and without having to get out of 2nd gear. I'll take that, plus we now know that:
Parsons looks more reality than potential
Cunniffe and Boyle the same .... ish
Peadar Gardiner will be struggling
Pat Harte lookslike he can do a job for us at 11 .... albeit with the caveat that Sligo didn't bother playing a centre back that knew what the game of gaelic football was about.

In fact, i correct myself, we know nothing of the above cos Sligo were shite.  Fcek yee anyway Sligo, you allowed us to win without breaking a serious sweat and thus we are none the wiser about ourselves

SLIGONIAN

Im embarrased, feel free to launch into a tirade against me and have a go, i deserve it, i had unbelievably naive belief in this team and im ashamed that they even wore the jersey. No heart no pride no passion no gameplan and no quality. Honestly thought our lads wouldnt let us or themselves down, but sure they consistently done that since galway last yr embarrased us. I wouldnt mind if they tryed but what I saw was a couldnt careless atitude.

They proved last yr was a fluke and that we were lucky very lucky. The players need to take a long hard look at themselves but sure that'll be last thing theyll do.

Get rid of JORDAN AND the selectors and start again. The best player was a Sligoman but wearing a mayo jersey, the sligo county board should be ashamed of themselves allowing that to happen. They should be ashamed of having that management team in place as well. Clueless.

Im not going to waste anymore typing on them. We deserve to be in the tm cup and Div 4. We are shite and going nowhere.

Best of luck to mayo in final, 2nd gear and still hammered us. I hold my hands up, i got it wrong bigtime and I know I look a fool, i didnt see that coming. Depressing :-[.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Kerry Mike

QuoteI hold my hands up, i got it wrong bigtime and I know I look a fool

Paul Galvin said the same thing and look where that got him, you'll have a long painful week on here Sligonian I'd say.

And like Paul Galvin there's always next year to look forward to for you ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Kerry Mike on June 22, 2008, 09:10:47 PM
QuoteI hold my hands up, i got it wrong bigtime and I know I look a fool

Paul Galvin said the same thing and look where that got him, you'll have a long painful week on here Sligonian I'd say.

And like Paul Galvin there's always next year to look forward to for you ;)

I know i will but i deserve it. I was stupid to believe in our lads. Although i had to think we had some chance or else why would i bother going to see us get that hammering. One my friends said "all the money gone into this teams preparation for that, all sligo supporters should be refunded". He has a point.

Next yr Kerry mike, with div4 football to look forward too and i'll not be quite so stupid and loud mouthed. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. :-X
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

Tubberman

Not a whole lot learnt for Mayo today. Sligo were abysmal, but Mayo were poor as well. Some of the shooting was terrible - Gardiner, Trevor Mort and Austie all had very poor wides.
On the bright side, we scored 3 goals - we have to go back to that awful day in Sept 06 for the last time we scored 3 goals as far as I can remember.
Mayo completely dominated midfield, where Tom Parsons delivered on all the potential shown in the league - he outshone McGarritty who had a pretty good game too.
Due to Sligo's inept display, we're none the wiser as to how our defence is coming along. Sligo played a 2-man full forward line so Conroy never actually played at full back. But he did fairly well around the half-backs. Boyle also did well, he stuck to his man better than in his league displays. The team as a whole were comfortable so we'll need to wait another 3 weeks to see where we are - I'd expect the Galway forwards to really test us.

Sligonian, this is probably worse than a slagging, but I actually feel sorry for you this evening. You seem to be "all or nothing" - Sligo are either brilliant or terrible. Yesterday, they were going to be brilliant.Today the reality is they were truly terrible. The Tommy Murphy cup will have no appeal to them, so 2008 is over for Sligo. A disaster of a year ever since ye won the Connacht title.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."