Euro 2008 Austria/Switzerland Official Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 12, 2008, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Tibbs

Xavi awarded Euro 2008 accolade 

Barcelona's Xavi was instrumental in Spain's success
Spain midfielder Xavi has been named the best player of Euro 2008.

The Barcelona star was a regular member of the tournament-winning side and scored the opener in the semi-final win over Russia.

Xavi, 28, was one of nine Spain players selected among a team of 23 by a panel of Uefa technical experts.

Manchester United's Dutch keeper Edwin van der Sar, Chelsea's Michael Ballack, Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas and Liverpool's Fernando Torres all made the final 23.

Ballack was part of the Germany side that lost in the final, while Fabregas and Torres helped Spain seal the spoils.

606: DEBATE
Who was your player of the tournament?

Chelsea's new signing Jose Bosingwa of Portugal and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric, who joined Tottenham in this summer, were also both selected.

There was no room in the final selection for Manchester United and Portugal midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Euro 2008 team of the tournament

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands).

Defenders: Bosingwa (Portugal), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Carlos Marchena (Spain), Pepe (Portugal), Carles Puyol (Spain), Yuri Zhirkov (Russia).

Midfielders: Hamit Altintop (Turkey), Luka Modric (Croatia), Marcos Senna (Spain), Xavi Hernández (Spain), Konstantin Zyryanov (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Cesc Fàbregas (Spain), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Lukas Podolski (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands).

Forwards: Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Russia), Fernando Torres (Spain), David Villa (Spain).

No outstanding candidate for the award, he is as deserving as anyone of it.

Philip Lahm in that squad!! Good player no doubt but his defensive frailties were shown up in the latter stages.

Main Street

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 30, 2008, 12:30:12 PM
the keeper actually dropped that ball and got it second time round
I didn't notice that he dropped it. Was it well within his control? cause I though good catch when I saw it.

Tony Baloney

Well done Minder. I actually tipped Jerry to beat Italy in the final. I was close!

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2008, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 30, 2008, 12:30:12 PM
the keeper actually dropped that ball and got it second time round
I didn't notice that he dropped it. Was it well within his control? cause I though good catch when I saw it.

in fairness he was always in control as it went over kuranyi's head

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 30, 2008, 01:22:56 PM
Well done Minder. I actually tipped Jerry to beat Italy in the final. I was close!

I should have had more than the £5k i had on them.....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

Quote from: Puckoon on June 25, 2008, 10:23:06 PM
In fairness - I can see why its not everyones cup of tea. Hard to appreciate nil all draws when you have kobe bryant scoring 36 points a game, or down beating a team that scored 21 points after extra time. Still - great tournament.

In honesty - Ive fallen asleep watching more soccer than any other sporting event. :D

Not sure if it was the buffet, or the heat - but i slept through the whole thing.

Rav67

Boruc, Siminic and Deco all deserve to be in that squad.

Captain Black

How does Boruc deserve to be in that squad ahead of the three that were named? Dont see why Deco deserved to be in it either, he was AWOL as usual when it counted.

Rav67

Boruc was outstanding in every game he played, himself Buffon and Casillas were the top 3 keepers on show.  Admittedly, its difficult for someone who only played in the groups to make the selection for a squad like this.  Deco never went AWOL, he was their best player against Germany IMO and very impressive in the group as well.

Rossie11

QuoteDont see why Deco deserved to be in it either, he was AWOL as usual when it counted
As usual?? explain??
Deco was best portugese player by a mile and if Ronaldo stood up to the plate and gave him a hand they would have been in the final.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Captain Black on June 30, 2008, 03:12:27 PM
How does Boruc deserve to be in that squad ahead of the three that were named? Dont see why Deco deserved to be in it either, he was AWOL as usual when it counted.

I thought Boruc was the best keeper in the group stages. Unfortunately for him once the Poles were knocked out early other keepers still remaining had their chance to shine.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 30, 2008, 11:40:52 AM
QuoteZhirkov is a left winger that Hiddink converted to left back

Sorry AFS, got me ambidextrous limbs mixed up again.

UEFA have named Xavi as player of the tournament - I'd have given it to Senna.

Boots XI
                   Casillas
Bosingwa Simunic Kovac  Zhirkov
                   Senna
                 Xavi Modric
                  Fabregas
             Arshavin Torres

What  ??? No Ronaldo!  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rav67

Casillas

Bosingwa Marchena Siminic Zhirkov