soccer quiz questions

Started by Minus15, May 06, 2008, 09:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: Hound on January 27, 2009, 03:52:21 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 27, 2009, 03:46:36 PM
correct, Who was the first football transfer over £10m between English clubs?
Was that Heskey?
I hope not.

no

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

bendurback

Evil Genius

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 27, 2009, 03:46:36 PM
correct, Who was the first football transfer over £10m between English clubs?
Shearer from Blackburn to Newcastle? There may have been a transfer of over £10 million before his, but I think I'm right in saying that his £15.3m fee was a world record at the time, domestic or international.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

RedandGreenSniper

Shearer went for 15million, a world record, in 1996. In 1993 Keane went for a British record of 3.75 afaik. Can't remember too many more big money signings in between

EDIT
Oh Andy Cole went for 7million plus Keith Gillispie just a season before Shearer. That was a record at the time so I reckon Shearer was the first 10m +

Ques:

Who was the first black player to be sold for more than £1million
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 27, 2009, 04:18:05 PM
Shearer went for 15million, a world record, in 1996. In 1993 Keane went for a British record of 3.75 afaik. Can't remember too many more big money signings in between

EDIT
Oh Andy Cole went for 7million plus Keith Gillispie just a season before Shearer. That was a record at the time so I reckon Shearer was the first 10m +

Ques:

Justin Fashanu
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Evil Genius

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 27, 2009, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 27, 2009, 03:43:06 PM
Who was the first £100,000 football transfer?

Denis Law
Denis Law was only the first £100k+ transfer (£116k, actually) because when Spurs earlier brought Jimmy Greaves back from Milan, manager Bill Nicholson didn't want Greaves lumbered with the first six figure transfer fee tag. So his actual fee was £99,999.00!

Btw, the notably corrupt* Louis Edwards was the United Chairman who signed Law. This was not so long after he had bought outright control of the club. Apparently he had gained the extra shares he needed by personally visiting all the small female shareholders at evenings and weekends at their homes and offering them cash on the spot. Edwards had figured out that when the shares had been issued originally (40 years previously?), the buyers will virtually all have been men. So that any female shareholder now on the Register would likely be a widow who had inherited in the event of her husband's death and so may not appreciate the shares' value. And so it proved, so that Edwards actually bought the club outright for less than the cost of the Law transfer.

* - I can say it now he's dead.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 27, 2009, 04:28:03 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 27, 2009, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 27, 2009, 03:43:06 PM
Who was the first £100,000 football transfer?

Denis Law
Denis Law was only the first £100k+ transfer (£116k, actually) because when Spurs earlier brought Jimmy Greaves back from Milan, manager Bill Nicholson didn't want Greaves lumbered with the first six figure transfer fee tag. So his actual fee was £99,999.00!

Btw, the notably corrupt* Louis Edwards was the United Chairman who signed Law. This was not so long after he had bought outright control of the club. Apparently he had gained the extra shares he needed by personally visiting all the small female shareholders at evenings and weekends at their homes and offering them cash on the spot. Edwards had figured out that when the shares had been issued originally (40 years previously?), the buyers will virtually all have been men. So that any female shareholder now on the Register would likely be a widow who had inherited in the event of her husband's death and so may not appreciate the shares' value. And so it proved, so that Edwards actually bought the club outright for less than the cost of the Law transfer.

* - I can say it now he's dead.

Sounds like a good businessman so ;D

the green man

Lawrie cunningham

Billys Boots

Quote from: the green man on January 27, 2009, 04:43:01 PM

Lawrie cunningham

Like I said, Lovely Leitrim, as he was known to West Brom fans.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 27, 2009, 04:25:56 PM

Ques:

Justin Fashanu

From wiki
Justinus Soni "Justin" Fashanu (19 February 1961 – 2 May 1998) was an English footballer, who played for a variety of clubs between 1978 and 1997. His 1981 transfer to Nottingham Forest made him Britain's first £1m black footballer.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

RedandGreenSniper

Ya Justin Fashanu is the answer I have too.

The Real Laoislad

The last time this was used in a FA Cup Final was 1973..
What was it...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 05, 2009, 05:58:09 PM
The last time this was used in a FA Cup Final was 1973..
What was it...

Orange ball?