Dublin Vs Meath

Started by Jinxy, April 13, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

true but damien freeman but would have been in the cell beside him- can't have it both ways on that one.

stephenite

Quote from: Bensars on April 21, 2008, 10:18:51 AM
Quote from: stephenite on April 21, 2008, 04:07:33 AM
There have been too many incidents like this from Dublin over the last few years, and I really think that the Manager has to bear responsibility for this. It seems that Pillar has them wound up too tightly without the smarts to teach them how to control their agression - fine line between controlled agression, toughness etc. and all out brawls. Their disciplinary record over the last 3-4 years would not be a pretty read (don't have the stats to hand)

Dublin have some fine footballers and I think with a different manager most of these players would have at least one All Ireland medal by now - but they appear to wilt under sustained pressure in games that they should be winning, especially in the championship, the word has been out these last number of years on how to beat Dublin, get them even more wound up than Pillar has them and they'll lose the head.

Agree 100% with what you have said.

It is also refreshing to see a Dublin supporter with a rational balanced view of the events.

Are you calling me a Dublin supporter? I'll burst the head off ya you f**king culchie ;)

Jinxy

Quote from: red hander on April 21, 2008, 11:19:45 PM
The Dubs have too many yahoos and hangers-on connected to the team.  If Vaughan had have done down O'Connell Street on a Saturday night what he did against Monaghan, Caffrey would have had to arrest him and charge him with assault

Hit someone a fair shoulder on O'Connell Street on a saturday night and you will be charged with assault.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Quote from: red hander on April 21, 2008, 11:19:45 PM
The Dubs have too many yahoos and hangers-on connected to the team.  If Vaughan had have done down O'Connell Street on a Saturday night what he did against Monaghan, Caffrey would have had to arrest him and charge him with assault
Freeman had no right to be soloing with the ball inside the Dublin half. ::)
Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2008, 12:11:26 AM
Hit someone a fair shoulder on O'Connell Street on a saturday night and you will be charged with assault.
Dub's definition of a fair shoulder charge includes a strike with that part of the body from the sharp outstretched elbow to the shoulder against any part of the opposition anatomy.

Hound

There's talk of 12 to 16 suspensions! Apparently the Indo has details today. I can't believe there'd be that many. I've no problem with anyone who landed a punch getting a suspension, but it would be very harsh on the majority who (it seemed to me) were just pulling and pushing and posturing.

stephenite

Quote from: Hound on April 22, 2008, 07:07:47 AM
There's talk of 12 to 16 suspensions! Apparently the Indo has details today. I can't believe there'd be that many. I've no problem with anyone who landed a punch getting a suspension, but it would be very harsh on the majority who (it seemed to me) were just pulling and pushing and posturing.

The precedent is there though when it comes to mass brawls - Mayo and Meath in '96 AIF ; Dubs and Tyrone up in Omagh both had a heap of suspensions when the majprioty only seemed to pushing and jostling. Liam McHale got 2 months for jumping over someone and then getting the head bate off him in 96 ::)

I think with the Championship coming up the opportunity might be taken to throw the book and lay down a marker for the Summer, this "one in - all in" lark has to be punished regardless of whether or not any punches were landed

Hound

Quote from: stephenite on April 22, 2008, 07:20:00 AM
Quote from: Hound on April 22, 2008, 07:07:47 AM

The precedent is there though when it comes to mass brawls - Mayo and Meath in '96 AIF ; Dubs and Tyrone up in Omagh both had a heap of suspensions when the majprioty only seemed to pushing and jostling. Liam McHale got 2 months for jumping over someone and then getting the head bate off him in 96 ::)

I think with the Championship coming up the opportunity might be taken to throw the book and lay down a marker for the Summer, this "one in - all in" lark has to be punished regardless of whether or not any punches were landed
The rules have changed since even Tyrone v Dublin, so I think any precendents will matter - what the GAA will be doing is trying to set a precedent. Certainly, if it wasnt my team involved, I'd be in full agreement with your final paragraph! Dublin and Meath both agree that what happened was wrong and they are prepared to take their medicine, but I think the GAA need to play it smartly. If they go OTT and ban 16 lads, and many of them for feck all (in the eyes of Dub and MH), then lenghty appeals will be inevitable. Ideally I'd like to see a common sense approach whereby the GAA, Dublin and Meath should all sit down together, agree that all the lads who deserve suspensions get suspensions, no appeals, and move on.   

stephenite

From the disgraceful rag itself

Tuesday April 22 2008

Dublin and Meath have had the book thrown at them in sensational fashion for Sunday's Parnell Park melee.

An unprecedented number of proposed suspensions and fines for both County Boards were handed out in record quick time as the GAA took its toughest line yet in promising to root out indiscipline.

Sixteen players, eight from each side, including the five sent off in the first 15 minutes by referee Paddy Russell, have been hit with proposed suspensions ranging from four to eight weeks.

Ciaran Whelan, Bernard Brogan, Paul Flynn, Dermot Connolly, Paddy Andrews, and Ross McConnell are among the eight Dublin players facing the prospect of between one and two months on the sidelines.

Reeling

Meath were left reeling from a similar set of proposed suspensions as Darren Fay, Seamus Kenny, Niall McKeigue, Nigel Crawford and team captain Brendan Murphy were hit with possible two-month bans while Caoimhin King, Shane McAnarney and Peadar Byrne are facing a month on the sidelines. McKeigue and McAnarney were sent off for their part in the melee on Sunday.

Both County Boards were informed of the proposed suspensions yesterday evening and have the option of personal hearings to clear their names or acceptance of the terms of the proposals.

Unless Dublin are successful in appealing some of the proposed suspensions they will be without nine players for Saturday night's Allianz Division Two final against Westmeath in Navan including Alan Brogan who is under suspension for his red card in Crossmaglen.

The weight of the suspensions has the capacity to affect Meath's championship more severely as they are due to meet Carlow on May 18 with the winners facing Wexford two weeks later.

None of those facing one-month bans will miss a championship match but the potential two-month suspensions to the five Meath players incorporates both the first round and the quarter-final if they make it that far, leaving them without four front-line defenders.

In addition both County Boards were hit with record fines for the incident, some €20,000 in each case.

Gnevin

20,000 euro and 2 months for handbags   ::)
Rumour has in their was a 20 man + all in in Armagh on Sunday can anyone confirm this?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

timmyot501

Omagh all over again. Lots of suspensions and some of them for a few months.  A visit to court. Suspension quashed. Everybody is back for the first round of the championship.

ONeill

They didn't go far enough. How's a one-month suspension going to hurt them? Feck the Division 2 final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

if you read more closely o neill you'll see the word two -it comes after one.

from what i know bernard brogan and paddy andrews will get a month. connolly,flynn and mc connell are likely to get 2, and whelan probably 3. and that will hurt dublin as most of them won;t be available for the opening game agianst louth. Not much point in appealing in my view. take the punishment and move on. what price are louth?
meath are worse off though - as they are in the championship on may 18th. wonder what price carlow are?

Barney

Why is it that full details of the Meath players are available but not the Dubs?

Hound

Quote from: Barney on April 22, 2008, 08:46:15 AM
Why is it that full details of the Meath players are available but not the Dubs?
It seems the leak came from Meath, and he couldnt remember all the Dublin details.

AZOffaly

Eugene McGee had a fair cut off the players today, and today's players, basically calling them all 'dirty'. It got me thinking. I've played against football against a lot of teams in various matches at different levels, albeit very little at Senior level, and there are only a few lads I would call 'dirty'. I would have been a corner forward, or wing forward, and the natural target for any 'dirt' that was going on. So what is 'dirt'?

I was peripherally involved in a huge row against Laois in an under 21 game, and by that I mean I got the head beaten off me as about 20 other lads beat the shite out of each other as well :D, and I still wouldn't say they were dirty. I didn't like it at the time, naturally, but I thought it was just one of these 'blow ups' that occur every so often. I met the two main Laois lads who were using me for punching practice a few weeks later, and we had a couple of pints together.

To me, dirt is off the ball punches, or knees, spitting, grabbing at your crown jewels, walking on a lads calf in front of you, dropping knees into a fella, headbutting, gouging, deliberate elbows or clotheslines or any of that sort of stuff, and that very rarely occurred. Certainly the only time I was spat at was in a Leinster Minor Championship game, I won't say which county. Other than that, very little of anything apart from jersey pulling which is just annoying.

Dirt, to me, is hitting someone that isn't expecting it, or with their back to you. Or trying to injure a helpless opponent who is on the ground or something. And in all my years playing, I've never had that myself, and have only seen it occasionaly. Certainly in a few games against teams labelled as 'dirty' like Meath or the old Laois, it has never happened. I've been bruised as feck coming off, but there was honestly no strokes that I would call dirty.

What do ye consider dirty? Do ye think Eugene McGee is right, and every row, or dust up, is by it's nature 'dirty'? I'd be interested in what ye think.