Club membership fees

Started by bloody mary, April 03, 2008, 05:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloody mary

Money again, but not the usual one. There appears to be a discrepancy between different clubs over fees they charge for membership each year, maybe it's something which could be looked at by an overall GAA body? I've just been sent the fees for Bredagh in Div 3 in Belfast - Youth/Student £35 Adult Player £55 Social/Coach £25 Family membership £100. Seems a lot to me for a club without even a home. What do they do with the money? How does this compare? 

his holiness nb

25 euro for players in my Meath club.
Not sure about non players.
Will be paying for the misssus tonight so will let ye know tomorrow.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Quote from: bloody mary on April 03, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
Money again, but not the usual one. There appears to be a discrepancy between different clubs over fees they charge for membership each year, maybe it's something which could be looked at by an overall GAA body? I've just been sent the fees for Bredagh in Div 3 in Belfast - Youth/Student £35 Adult Player £55 Social/Coach £25 Family membership £100. Seems a lot to me for a club without even a home. What do they do with the money? How does this compare?  

Have you any idea of how much it takes to run your club annually ?

Do you think the membership money would go far ???

Our is £ 50 per member - some are more - some are less - but such is the cost of running a club these days, membership doesn't go far !

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on April 03, 2008, 05:36:32 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on April 03, 2008, 05:34:18 PM
Will be paying for the misssus tonight so will let ye know tomorrow.

:D

It should be an interesting night for Holiness !!!  ;D ;D I hope he has a good one !

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

stiffler

£25 over 18, £5 under 18.

Life membership is available at £10 per month for 5 years, or £500 up front.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

orangeman

Quote from: stiffler on April 03, 2008, 06:09:07 PM
£25 over 18, £5 under 18.

Life membership is available at £10 per month for 5 years, or £500 up front.

What if you're 70 ?? Mighn't be woth it ! Does anywhere else operate life memberships ???

stiffler

I think there is a seperate rate for OAPs for the annual subscription, dont think any senior citizens would sign up to life membership.

The life membership scheme also includes preferential treatment regarding tickets.

orangeman

Quote from: stiffler on April 03, 2008, 06:36:34 PM
I think there is a seperate rate for OAPs for the annual subscription, dont think any senior citizens would sign up to life membership.

The life membership scheme also includes preferential treatment regarding tickets.

That would be handy - a good way of getting money up front as well !

Rois

've just been sent the fees for Bredagh in Div 3 in Belfast - Youth/Student £35 Adult Player £55 Social/Coach £25 Family membership £100. Seems a lot to me for a club without even a home. What do they do with the money? How does this compare? 

Bredagh doesn't have a pitch but has to rent pitches from the council.  There are teams at all levels in both codes, and renting pitches for at least two training sessions per week for all levels, plus matches, presumably doesn't come cheap.  There is no bar/gym/pool table/weekly lottery to contribute to funds. 

£55 a year equates to £1.06 per week.  I'd say most are happy to pay.

stiffler

I think a tenner a month for playing members should be regarded as acceptable.

overcarrying

BM

I think that as the club in question have no home they would have to gererate money from somewhere as they have to play on council pitches and pay for them, I think they field teams at all levels in boys/mens football and Hurling, and teams at most levels in Camogie and girls/ladies football  I am sure there are clubs accross the country charge more, and others charge less.

what do your own club charge?

bloody mary

it still seems steep to me (the bredagh fees), the club may have to rent pitches but sure they don't have the costs of running pitches and facilities, and sure don't we hear all about their chat nights and a big fund-raiser at the races and what have you. like in most clubs you can only go to the well so often before people get fed up. you pay out for fees, for tickets for everything, for club gear, hurls, and so on. also consider that clubs like this didnt' even have registration done properly til recently, now they're hiking it up all the time. maybe gaa clubs could take a lead from Chelsea this week...

Drumanee 1

£20 in bellaghy not sure about students or oap's.

if you have no home how can they charge you for social membership? ???

screenexile

Fees for Screen are £20 for an adult member and £5 for U18s. I thought this to be very cheap considering Ballyboden charged somewhere near €200 for playing members although I think this included a sum to the Supplementary injury scheme but I can't remember how much that was for... it seems quite a gulf and especially when Ballyboden has quite a bit of money about it but I suppose every penny is accounted for and with such a big club it gets put to good use.

I feel that they could easily move membership up to £50 which would still be cheap and give the club a bit of extra revenue, I actually think that's still fairly cheap compared to Rugby and Soccer.