Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

What are the nets there for?

to catch the grenades being flung from the Kop? ;D

Stonewall proof, case closed.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 03, 2008, 08:19:20 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 07:51:00 PM

That look out post has been blocking the view of the Kop since 1986.. SECTION F is the top deck in the North Stand .. opposite.

No it's not according to my ticket for the last international. Section P is the  section in the upper tier nearest the Alex Russell stand. Unless of course I am a liar? ::)

The whole Section F thing was so big in the 1980s that perhaps the Sections were re-lettered through embarrassment by the Blues and the IFA - WHO BUILT THE FECKIN THING!!! ....I sat in Section F in Feb 1985 and even as a 12 year old cringed as these animals showered John Barnes with bananas in a World Cup qualifier... am I mistaken or is there a metal fence between the North Stand and the Alex Russell stand today?....!

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 10:01:06 PM

That look out post has been blocking the view of the Kop since 1986.. SECTION F is the top deck in the North Stand .. opposite.

No it's not according to my ticket for the last international. Section P is the  section in the upper tier nearest the Alex Russell stand. Unless of course I am a liar? ::)

The whole Section F thing was so big in the 1980s that perhaps the Sections were re-lettered through embarrassment by the Blues and the IFA - WHO BUILT THE FECKIN THING!!! ....I sat in Section F in Feb 1985 and even as a 12 year old cringed as these animals showered John Barnes with bananas in a World Cup qualifier... am I mistaken or is there a metal fence between the North Stand and the Alex Russell stand today?....!

Interesting use of the word "perhaps". I'm sure that would stand up in any court of law. There is no fence there these days, but "perhaps" the fence was there to stop the ball hitting spectators in the Spion Kop?

There is no debate that these Section F characters are tubes, but blurting out ideas that come into your head as if they were facts does not get anyone anywhere. 

Hurler on the Bitch

Dear Solomon.. you are slaying me! Stop, please! Anyway, a man of your intellect must be congratulated for posting a response. However, I feel that this thread has run its course - bit like the bluemen from Castle Street to Sandy Row!!! maybe now you will do us all a favour and take your face for a SHITE!

Fishbat

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 03, 2008, 10:39:38 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 10:01:06 PM

Interesting use of the word "perhaps". I'm sure that would stand up in any court of law. There is no fence there these days, but "perhaps" the fence was there to stop the ball hitting spectators in the Spion Kop?

There is no debate that these Section F characters are tubes, but blurting out ideas that come into your head as if they were facts does not get anyone anywhere. 

Don't want to butt in here but - why is it called the Spion Kop?

Hurler on the Bitch

Battle of Spion Kop during the Boer War.. ie battle fought over a hill that was a strategic vantage point! It seems that all vantage points overlooking football fields acquired this name .. and if I am not mistaken Liverpool lost a lot of men.. so Anfield.. etc etc Spion Kop..........................................

Fishbat

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 11:48:40 PM
Battle of Spion Kop during the Boer War.. ie battle fought over a hill that was a strategic vantage point! It seems that all vantage points overlooking football fields acquired this name .. and if I am not mistaken Liverpool lost a lot of men.. so Anfield.. etc etc Spion Kop..........................................

ahh the siege mentality and a bit of kopying then...

SammyG

Quote from: Fishbat on April 04, 2008, 12:18:38 AM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 11:48:40 PM

ahh the siege mentality and a bit of kopying then...
Spion means look-out and Kop means hill. Lots of soldeirs from Liverppol were killed in the Boer War, so when the new terrace was opened (a couple of years after the war) it was named Spion Kop (as it was a big hill to watch the match from) in memory of the soldiers. After that loads of grounds with large terraces, became known as Kop(s) and it became a generic name for big open terraces at football grounds. Nothing whatever to do with siege mentalities or any other shite.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 03, 2008, 07:15:47 PM
and not being a unionist myself that has no bearing on my question.

:D :D :D :D

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 03, 2008, 07:15:47 PM
I hope this has cleared things up for you NB.

Deffo a Unionist, just couldnt bring yourself to utter the words "his holiness" could ya  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

An Fear Dearg

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 07:41:43 PMApologies - it was 1991 - SECTION F is the red seats nearest the KOP in the North Stand .. the one opened in 1984 ... (was in it for the first international .. Sept 12 84 N Ireland v Rumania).. The South Stand in those days was always season ticket holders and quite tame... The Shankill Skinz were the cheerleaders in the North Stand - when Cville played there there was a mass gathering of them on the top deck... Snooker balls and all .....

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on April 03, 2008, 10:01:06 PMThe whole Section F thing was so big in the 1980s that perhaps the Sections were re-lettered through embarrassment by the Blues and the IFA - WHO BUILT THE FECKIN THING!!! ....I sat in Section F in Feb 1985 and even as a 12 year old cringed as these animals showered John Barnes with bananas in a World Cup qualifier... am I mistaken or is there a metal fence between the North Stand and the Alex Russell stand today?....!
Section F in the South Stand (after which the Linfield hooligans - not ordinary Linfield fans in club club colours - who were almost certainly responsible for last Satruday's stabbing, are named) is the section of seats at the left hand end, as you're sitting in it, i.e. the section nearest the Kop, where Cliftonville fans used to be placed in Blues-Reds games.

No sections in the North Stand have been re-lettered since its opening in 1983.  The lettering starts at the Railway end, the opposite end from the Kop.  Thus Section F is the third section from the Railway End (in the upper deck from memory) and is much closer to the Railway Stand than the Spion Kop.

stew

There is no way I will ever set foot in WP again after this. I was prepared to go and watch the six play in WP to se for myself what the atmosphere islike and how welcoming the fans are but there is no need to go anymore. I would prefer to keep my neck intact and not have to worry about monkeys wearing gas masks, especially if I had to buy a ticket to go to the game.

Fearon might be wrong here and there but on the subject of norn iron football he was proven right. Football For all is an embarassment at this stage. Do yourselves a favour lads and give up the ghost.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SammyG

Quote from: stew on April 04, 2008, 02:42:57 PM
There is no way I will ever set foot in WP again after this. I was prepared to go and watch the six play in WP to se for myself what the atmosphere islike and how welcoming the fans are but there is no need to go anymore. I would prefer to keep my neck intact and not have to worry about monkeys wearing gas masks, especially if I had to buy a ticket to go to the game.
So you think that some neo-Nazi hooligans, with no connection to WP, or the IFA or Linfield is a reason for not attending an NI match? You can't beat logic like that.
Fearon might be wrong here and there but on the subject of norn iron football he was proven right. Football For all is an embarassment at this stage. Do yourselves a favour lads and give up the ghost.
WTF have some neo-Nazi scum got to do with FFA?

stew

Quote from: SammyG on April 04, 2008, 03:15:17 PM
So you think that some neo-Nazi hooligans, with no connection to WP, or the IFA or Linfield is a reason for not attending an NI match? You can't beat logic like that.

They are attracted to the IFA because of their rather checkered past, present and are trying to be a part of their furure. The problem is sammy that if the IFA never once show that they have the balls to hold the clubs accountable for their fans behaviour the neo nazis see that as an opportunity. they identify with linfield because they were themselves an extremist organization with their no catholic policy just like their sister club of hate rangers had such a policy.

Ask yourself this sammy. What is it about northern ireland football that atracted this shower of shit in the first place???

The IFA have let far to much go in the past, they are a pro union organization themselves and their top brass have always been predominantly protestant. Why would any catholic fan go to any games in the north after this?

The fact is soccer attracts more of their fair share of scumbags, Northern Ireland has a ton of decent fans who want nothing to do with controversy but they continue t be let down by the IFA and the fact that groups such as the neo nazis see something i the northern ireland fans to want to identify with them. In short they see an extremist element and they gravitate toward it. Scum like some of the linfield fans and indeed some of the glentoran fans who have almost as bad a history as Linfield hurt the FFA campaign and I believe they want to do so because they want a mono cultural sport and the IFA do little to hold them accountable so in comes the neo nazis to further set back a noble idea.

SammyG

Quote from: stew on April 04, 2008, 04:02:17 PM
Quote from: SammyG on April 04, 2008, 03:15:17 PM

They are attracted to the IFA because of their rather checkered past, present and are trying to be a part of their furure. The problem is sammy that if the IFA never once show that they have the balls to hold the clubs accountable for their fans behaviour the neo nazis see that as an opportunity. they identify with linfield because they were themselves an extremist organization with their no catholic policy just like their sister club of hate rangers had such a policy.

Ask yourself this sammy. What is it about northern ireland football that atracted this shower of shit in the first place???
The IFA have let far to much go in the past, they are a pro union organization themselves and their top brass have always been predominantly protestant. Why would any catholic fan go to any games in the north after this?

The fact is soccer attracts more of their fair share of scumbags, Northern Ireland has a ton of decent fans who want nothing to do with controversy but they continue t be let down by the IFA and the fact that groups such as the neo nazis see something i the northern ireland fans to want to identify with them. In short they see an extremist element and they gravitate toward it. Scum like some of the linfield fans and indeed some of the glentoran fans who have almost as bad a history as Linfield hurt the FFA campaign and I believe they want to do so because they want a mono cultural sport and the IFA do little to hold them accountable so in comes the neo nazis to further set back a noble idea.

They weren't attracted to Northern Ireland football, they weren't at the match and have no connection to the IFA or either of the teams playing in the match. How can the IFA be held responsible for the actions of a crowd of thugs in town, are they responsible for all the Saturday night drunks as well?

stew

Quote from: Donagh on April 02, 2008, 05:57:08 PM
Quote from: SammyG on April 02, 2008, 04:47:26 PM

A complete an utter lie and you know it is so why do you keep repeating it.

How is it a lie? Hand grenades were thrown at Cliftonville supporters in Windsor Park. If they weren't being thrown at Cliftonville supporters who were the targets then?

maybe it was the fenian linesman from the republic that dared work the line during a nordie game about 18 months to two years ago.