Internet Question

Started by Bainisteoir, March 20, 2008, 09:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

I have been recently looking at Sky's packages (Phone TV & Broadband) and the package i picked is 8MB and has a 40GB per month maximum useage limit for downloads. The thing is i play my PS3 online with other folk and was wandering if playing the PS3 games online features is considered as downloads?

Thanks In Advance

pintsofguinness

I'm looking for a broadband package too, I want unlimited downloads and was will probably just go with BT unless someone can offer some other advice. 
btw, has anyone seen the new television package bt are offering - anyone any views on it?

btw, vital question, if I get broadband in with a 12 month contract and move house in 6 months or whatever, can I move the contract with me?

ta in advance

(sorry for jumping in bainisteoir)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hereiam

You cant take the account with you. I moved about six months ago and it just happened that my contract was running out, I  rang BT about transferring the account to the new house but they told me no, I had to cancel the old one and start a new one. I would warn you to check the small print I think you can only cancel an existing account within the last two months other wise you have to pay a cancellation fee

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hereiam on March 20, 2008, 10:44:51 PM
You cant take the account with you. I moved about six months ago and it just happened that my contract was running out, I  rang BT about transferring the account to the new house but they told me no, I had to cancel the old one and start a new one. I would warn you to check the small print I think you can only cancel an existing account within the last two months other wise you have to pay a cancellation fee

f**k it anyway - you don't know how much the fee is?

Gnevin

Quote from: Bainisteoir on March 20, 2008, 09:50:49 PM
I have been recently looking at Sky's packages (Phone TV & Broadband) and the package i picked is 8MB and has a 40GB per month maximum useage limit for downloads. The thing is i play my PS3 online with other folk and was wandering if playing the PS3 games online features is considered as downloads?

Thanks In Advance

That would be up to 8mb  i believe, check out what the minimum is. Your PS3 would be considered downloads but wouldn't come anywhere near 40gb be lucky to get near 1gb in a month
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 20, 2008, 10:06:16 PM
I'm looking for a broadband package too, I want unlimited downloads and was will probably just go with BT unless someone can offer some other advice. 
btw, has anyone seen the new television package bt are offering - anyone any views on it?

btw, vital question, if I get broadband in with a 12 month contract and move house in 6 months or whatever, can I move the contract with me?

ta in advance

(sorry for jumping in bainisteoir)
Go with BT at your peril , they are beyond useless. Stay away !!
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

carnaross

Surely you would only use BT if you wanted/needed a phone line. The other problem with BT is that the further away from the local exchange you live the slower your speed. That's why all those providers using BT telephone lines state you can receive UP TO 8MB. Virgin Media would be a better option as you can get up to 20MB with no d/l limits and Setanta comes free with their TV and no phone required.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: carnaross on March 21, 2008, 08:35:04 AM
Surely you would only use BT if you wanted/needed a phone line. The other problem with BT is that the further away from the local exchange you live the slower your speed. That's why all those providers using BT telephone lines state you can receive UP TO 8MB. Virgin Media would be a better option as you can get up to 20MB with no d/l limits and Setanta comes free with their TV and no phone required.

That's great if you're in a cable area but I'm not.
I do see they're doing non cable 8mb broadband, unlimted downloads and the TV service for £20.00 per month which seems good.  I did read on a site that if you cancel within the 12 months they charge £50.00 which wouldn't be too bad but I'll have to check that out with themselves. 
I haven't always heard good reviews on them though, anyone any experiences? 

bennydorano

Free broadband with Sky, which is handy if you are already a customer.  Wouldn't know about how good it is tbh, my usage would be very basic.

carnaross

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 21, 2008, 10:03:52 AM
Quote from: carnaross on March 21, 2008, 08:35:04 AM

That's great if you're in a cable area but I'm not.
I do see they're doing non cable 8mb broadband, unlimted downloads and the TV service for £20.00 per month which seems good.  I did read on a site that if you cancel within the 12 months they charge £50.00 which wouldn't be too bad but I'll have to check that out with themselves. 
I haven't always heard good reviews on them though, anyone any experiences? 

Non cable 8MB broadband sounds good, however, being in a non-cabled area, you'd need a BT line, so my original arguement about speeds through BT lines stands. I have VM b/band (10MB) solely, and have no problems.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

DirtyDozen12

Right, maybe some of you tech guys could enlightned me. I could never really understand the whole 8GB or 40GB download limit thing.  What exactly does this mean?  I have a broadboard connection in my house and i dont have a clue what size it but i just play PS3 and download away without any fuss.  Can you actually be limited in what you download??
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

stpauls

yeah, your ISP can restrict the amount of data/info you download, but this is mainly to stop people using file sharing sites for downloading movies, games and music etc.
if you just use it for browsing and gaming, you should have no problems with a 40Gb limit.