government grants to GAA players -- not getting into prefessionalism etc

Started by squareballz, March 18, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBT

i SEE Martin Cullen has dismissed this as a steaming pile of horse sh1te. Breheny is an embarrassment to his profession.

Rossfan

Quote from: LaurelEye on July 10, 2008, 02:38:21 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 10, 2008, 10:54:30 AM
A sad excuse for journalism.

The article, or Breheny in general?

Both it would seem.
Two Provincial Finals next Sunday, the last rounds of the CR and NR Cups,Minor and Junior Championship games also on at the weekend and this is all he can write about. >:(
Generally the GAA coverage in the Sir Brit Indo is appalling. - even on Mondays -crap little cliched reports on games - then nonsense for the rest of the week.
I'm still waiting for Breheny to come up with one he runs most years about the drop in the number of goals in the Football Championship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fancy Dan

Anyone know when these are due? Some Dublin students are strapped for cash at the minute and cant afford to go to coppers!

johnpower

Quote from: TBT on July 10, 2008, 08:15:32 PM
i SEE Martin Cullen has dismissed this as a steaming pile of horse sh1te. Breheny is an embarrassment to his profession.

So we should believe Cullen the pile of shite . ?
Problem solved for GAA .

magpie seanie

We were assured at the time that the GPA wouldn't go looking to the GAA to keep the wages coming so we've nothing to worry about.

tyrone86

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 19, 2008, 10:01:32 PM
We were assured at the time that the GPA wouldn't go looking to the GAA to keep the wages coming so we've nothing to worry about.

To be fair, Dessie more or less came out and said they wouldn't be asking the GAA to pick up the bill to Cahill in the interview. He also reckoned that if the funding to the ISC is cut by 8% they'd be happy to take the 8% hit if everyone else did

AZOffaly

I listened to this on the radio last night, and credit where it's due, Dessie Farrell said that the GPA would not be looking to the GAA to pick up this bill.

Whether that constitutes a promise to refrain from looking for the GAA to pick up a seperate bill, i.e. Same horse, different colour, remains to be seen, but he gave the impression that they wouldn't. He also ruled out a strike.

cornafean

Sceptical and all as I am of Breheny's stance on the grants issue, his story of last July has now been vindicated by Cullen's uturn yesterday.

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 20, 2008, 09:53:32 AM
I listened to this on the radio last night, and credit where it's due, Dessie Farrell said that the GPA would not be looking to the GAA to pick up this bill.

Whether that constitutes a promise to refrain from looking for the GAA to pick up a seperate bill, i.e. Same horse, different colour, remains to be seen, but he gave the impression that they wouldn't. He also ruled out a strike.

Is this the same Dessie who said a few weeks ago that the Cork hurlers were "not contractually obliged" to honour the "no more strikes" condition imposed as part of Kieran Mulvey's mediation on the Teddy Holland controversy, on the basis that they are "amateur players"?  ::)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

Quote from: cornafean on November 20, 2008, 09:58:22 AM

Sceptical and all as I am of Breheny's stance on the grants issue, his story of last July has now been vindicated by Cullen's uturn yesterday.

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 20, 2008, 09:53:32 AM

Is this the same Dessie who said a few weeks ago that the Cork hurlers were "not contractually obliged" to honour the "no more strikes" condition imposed as part of Kieran Mulvey's mediation on the Teddy Holland controversy, on the basis that they are "amateur players"?  ::)
[/b]

I think it's him alright - don't tell him you're sceptical ?

rrhf

I think Dessie struggles to assert himself, ie to tell people what he really wants.  Its common amongst the unimportant.

magpie seanie

I don't think this vindicates Breheny's story last July at all. I'm sure that was just a straw in the breeze. If you keep talking you're bound to say something right. A stopped clock and all that.

Did I hear correctly that Cullen said that the GAA should pick up to tab on the grants. Though he faces stiff competition he is without doubt in my opinion the most inept Minister to ever serve in the Dáil.

Uladh

Didn't see that bit from cullen seany, though as you intimate he could come out with anything.

for what its worth, i can't see the GPA looking for the money from headquarters. too many of their members would be breaking publicly made assurances and it would be very wrong irrespective.

as an aside lads, the inability of posters here to rationally debate any issues surrounding the GPA or intercounty player welfare issues is one of the reasons i'm starting to lose touch with this site. the kneejerk personal attacks whenever names like farrell or cusack come up in any guise reflects very badly on the forum as a whole. those fellas and the lads who are gpa members have given every bit as much to the GAA as the average poster on this board i'd venture.

cornafean

Quote from: Uladh on November 20, 2008, 11:07:04 AM
as an aside lads, the inability of posters here to rationally debate any issues surrounding the GPA or intercounty player welfare issues is one of the reasons i'm starting to lose touch with this site. the kneejerk personal attacks whenever names like farrell or cusack come up in any guise reflects very badly on the forum as a whole. those fellas and the lads who are gpa members have given every bit as much to the GAA as the average poster on this board i'd venture.

I think this criticism is unfair. The biggest "intercounty player welfare" story this week is the Aidan O'Mahony asthma/drug-test story and I think it has been debated very fairly and rationally on this board.

I didn't contribute to the debate myself but some of those who did so,  in Aidan's favour btw, have been amongst the strongest critics of Farrell ,Cusack et al on this board.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Uladh

So the assertions that (i'm paraphrasing out of laziness) "they took the money so they can take the punishment", etc were justified?