government grants to GAA players -- not getting into prefessionalism etc

Started by squareballz, March 18, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quidnunc

Uladh, would you ever stop being so obnoxious.

You asked us to remind you of any links between the grants issue and the Cork strike.

I gave you one notable example in reply.

In answer to your next question, there's plenty of evidence of his role.

He was at the top table when the GPA announced to the media its intention to strike, and he attacked the media. Donal O'Neill has since said he is now driving the GPA towards strike actions. He is also recognised as the commander in chief of the Cork hurlers, who decided to join the Cork football team on strike.

In answer to your last question, I said he was "organising strikes". He did. The GPA one didn't go ahead, but it was still organised.

laoisgaa

Brennan welcomes DRA judgement
By Cóilín Duffy

GAA President Nickey Brennan has welcomed the DRA's judgement, released on Tuesday night which supports the introduction of Government Grants for inter-county players.
"There will still be a number of counties who will vote against motion 2 (re grants) but they can't vote against it on the basis that it is 'pay-for-play' because the DRA have ruled that the grants aren't 'pay-for-play'," Brennan said.
"I was very confident, we wouldn't have embarked on this (if we didn't think it was possible). We made the point all along - both Pauric Duffy did and others that we hold Rule 11 and the amateur status very dear to our hearts and we were not going to do anything that would undermine that.
"I think the DRA ruling full supports the angle and the line we are taking there."
Brennan also confirmed that at no stage had he spoken to Mark Conway or other members of the 'Of One Belief' anti-grants group in an official capacity on the issue.
"No (we didn't talk to them) – I think the one great thing about the GAA is that we are an organisation that has a lot of different views on many things.
"People held a very strong view in relation to this Government funding scheme and people were using the term 'pay-for-play'. We vehemently disagreed with that and our position has now been vindicated."
He added, "whatever arguments people make on Saturday, those who continue to be opposed to motion 2. Whatever arguments they can make – they'll hardly be able to make arguments that it is pay-for-play anyway when the best legal minds that could be got and the DRA itself, whom we all respect; have said it's not."

However Brennan was keen to stress that GAA members are entitled to have their say, no matter what their viewpoint.
"People are entitled to their views and we have never said anything derogatory about the 'Of One Belief' group. They are good GAA people, but we were very sincere about how we went about it and we have always had the good of the Association at heart in everything that we have done."
With the Government grants a major issue for the Gaelic Players Association, GPA Chief Executive Dessie Farrell stated in a Sunday newspaper interview that the next thing on his agenda is to make the GPA an official part of the GAA, something which Brennan isn't entirely ruling out.
"There are ongoing discussions with the GPA in relation to matters like that," Brennan stated.
"It's fair to say we were having discussions on various fronts over the last 12 months but they very much went off the rails, over the last six months because the whole Government funding scheme came on to the agenda.
He added, "We just didn't have time to do anything else.
"If we can get this matter dealt with at Congress it will allow us to move on to other areas and discuss with them and see can there be a more formal relationship but as far as I am concerned we need to get the weekend out of the way first before we can deal with that."
And it's a busy Congress that Brennan and his top level colleagues will face into at the weekend with plenty up for discussion, apart from the grants issue.

"There will be a very important presentation on Friday night outlining how the funds we have got from rugby and soccer will be spent over the next three years," he said.
"It has been presented to Central Council already on more than one occasion but the details of it have failed to filter down to the grassroots level and to club level."
Brennan also believes that the Wicklow motion in favour of teams in Division 4 of the National Football League making a return to the All-Ireland qualifiers will be hotly debated.
"It will come on to the agenda and let it take its course.
"They (delegates) will decide what they want, as they decided the last time
"There will be one extra weekend taken off the club programme (if it is passed) but I am happy to let the motion go to Congress. It came from a review group that looked at the structure of competitions, it was passed by a previous Congress and now for some reason or another it has dawned on people over the previous year, that we passed this motion and why did we pass it.
"I'm happy to let it take its course and whatever the outcome of it is, that's the outcome. I'm not going to pre-judge it or give a particular view on it one way or another."

OakLeaf

Quote from: orangeman on April 09, 2008, 12:10:57 PM
It's as simple as this :Although I would roughly support a lot of what he beleivesin, Mark Conway needs to catch himself on and realise that the GAA at county board, provinicial and national level do not give one fiddlers about the so called ordinary grassroots GAA member. Although the GAA is made up primarily of ordinary, hardworking volunteers, this ethos is no longer recognised, valued or respected at county board, provincial or national level. Ordinary club members are there to do the shite work, breed and nurture new talent to be sacrficed by clubs as soon as they are of any use to the county teams so their talent can be utilised by the higher echelons of the GAA.

It's sadly as simple as this.

And the president's job is to go round the clubs and counties, open new fields ( paid for by hardworking members at club level ) and tell us gobshites how much our work is valued and respected and how there'd be no GAA without us !!

FFS when are WE going to cop on ???

We're the ASSHOLES not Nicky Brennan et al !!

At least Mark Conway is trying to do something about it and for that I admire him. It's very easy to sit about and gripe but it takes courage to stand up and be counted. If griping is all everyone was prepared to do you can be damned sure things will not change.

orangeman

Quote from: OakLeaf on April 10, 2008, 09:33:18 AM
It's as simple as this :Although I would roughly support a lot of what he beleivesin, Mark Conway needs to catch himself on and realise that the GAA at county board, provinicial and national level do not give one fiddlers about the so called ordinary grassroots GAA member. Although the GAA is made up primarily of ordinary, hardworking volunteers, this ethos is no longer recognised, valued or respected at county board, provincial or national level. Ordinary club members are there to do the shite work, breed and nurture new talent to be sacrficed by clubs as soon as they are of any use to the county teams so their talent can be utilised by the higher echelons of the GAA.

And the president's job is to go round the clubs and counties, open new fields ( paid for by hardworking members at club level ) and tell us gobshites how much our work is valued and respected and how there'd be no GAA without us !!

At least Mark Conway is trying to do something about it and for that I admire him. It's very easy to sit about and gripe but it takes courage to stand up and be counted. If griping is all everyone was prepared to do you can be damned sure things will not change.

Oakleaf - I don't think you've bothered to read all my posts ! So go away and read them before making a summary judgement ! Please and thank you ! Then come back and tell me whose side I'm on. ;)

orangeman

Quote from: laoisgaa on April 10, 2008, 01:01:10 AM
Brennan welcomes DRA judgement
By Cóilín Duffy

GAA President Nickey Brennan has welcomed the DRA's judgement, released on Tuesday night which supports the introduction of Government Grants for inter-county players.
"There will still be a number of counties who will vote against motion 2 (re grants) but they can't vote against it on the basis that it is 'pay-for-play' because the DRA have ruled that the grants aren't 'pay-for-play'," Brennan said.
"I was very confident, we wouldn't have embarked on this (if we didn't think it was possible). We made the point all along - both Pauric Duffy did and others that we hold Rule 11 and the amateur status very dear to our hearts and we were not going to do anything that would undermine that.
"I think the DRA ruling full supports the angle and the line we are taking there."
Brennan also confirmed that at no stage had he spoken to Mark Conway or other members of the 'Of One Belief' anti-grants group in an official capacity on the issue.
"No (we didn't talk to them) – I think the one great thing about the GAA is that we are an organisation that has a lot of different views on many things.
"People held a very strong view in relation to this Government funding scheme and people were using the term 'pay-for-play'. We vehemently disagreed with that and our position has now been vindicated."
He added, "whatever arguments people make on Saturday, those who continue to be opposed to motion 2. Whatever arguments they can make – they'll hardly be able to make arguments that it is pay-for-play anyway when the best legal minds that could be got and the DRA itself, whom we all respect; have said it's not."

However Brennan was keen to stress that GAA members are entitled to have their say, no matter what their viewpoint.
"People are entitled to their views and we have never said anything derogatory about the 'Of One Belief' group. They are good GAA people, but we were very sincere about how we went about it and we have always had the good of the Association at heart in everything that we have done."
With the Government grants a major issue for the Gaelic Players Association, GPA Chief Executive Dessie Farrell stated in a Sunday newspaper interview that the next thing on his agenda is to make the GPA an official part of the GAA, something which Brennan isn't entirely ruling out.
"There are ongoing discussions with the GPA in relation to matters like that," Brennan stated.
"It's fair to say we were having discussions on various fronts over the last 12 months but they very much went off the rails, over the last six months because the whole Government funding scheme came on to the agenda.
He added, "We just didn't have time to do anything else.
"If we can get this matter dealt with at Congress it will allow us to move on to other areas and discuss with them and see can there be a more formal relationship but as far as I am concerned we need to get the weekend out of the way first before we can deal with that."
And it's a busy Congress that Brennan and his top level colleagues will face into at the weekend with plenty up for discussion, apart from the grants issue.

"There will be a very important presentation on Friday night outlining how the funds we have got from rugby and soccer will be spent over the next three years," he said.
"It has been presented to Central Council already on more than one occasion but the details of it have failed to filter down to the grassroots level and to club level."
Brennan also believes that the Wicklow motion in favour of teams in Division 4 of the National Football League making a return to the All-Ireland qualifiers will be hotly debated.
"It will come on to the agenda and let it take its course.
"They (delegates) will decide what they want, as they decided the last time
"There will be one extra weekend taken off the club programme (if it is passed) but I am happy to let the motion go to Congress. It came from a review group that looked at the structure of competitions, it was passed by a previous Congress and now for some reason or another it has dawned on people over the previous year, that we passed this motion and why did we pass it.
"I'm happy to let it take its course and whatever the outcome of it is, that's the outcome. I'm not going to pre-judge it or give a particular view on it one way or another."

they can't vote against it on the basis that it is 'pay-for play" - Joke !

the one great thing about the GAA is that we are an organisation that has a lot of different views Yes, but only the official view is permitted.

Brennan was keen to stress that GAA members are entitled to have their say  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  Would you ever go away and catch yourself on Nicky - your term is coming to an end soon and thank God cos your presidency will not be remembered fondly !

Uladh

Quote from: quidnunc on April 09, 2008, 11:19:38 PM
Uladh, would you ever stop being so obnoxious.

You asked us to remind you of any links between the grants issue and the Cork strike.

I gave you one notable example in reply.

In answer to your next question, there's plenty of evidence of his role.

He was at the top table when the GPA announced to the media its intention to strike, and he attacked the media. Donal O'Neill has since said he is now driving the GPA towards strike actions. He is also recognised as the commander in chief of the Cork hurlers, who decided to join the Cork football team on strike.

In answer to your last question, I said he was "organising strikes". He did. The GPA one didn't go ahead, but it was still organised.

If it's obnxious to disagree with you and point out how you base your beliefs on hunches and conjecture, then i will remain on that course sir.

Virtually all of the cork hurlers and footballers are GPA members, but you just opted for the obvious bogeyman.

You have absolutely no knowledge of cusack's involvement or influence on the cork proceedings. he was one of 5 or 6 i read listed as "eleceted representatives" of both panels. If there's "pleanty of evidence" as you say, post it up there like a good fella. Commander in chief. don't make me laugh. There was no GPA strike.

The irony of people such as yourself is that you are so busy raging against the perception of doom that you are unable to recognise the issues in front of you.

The GPA's role in this ended quite a while ago after reaching agreement with the government and the GAA hierarchy.
The DRA have removed the largest stick with which to beat this scheme - the theory that it contravenes rule 11.

Your grievence should be with the GAA and its procedures. Personally i think they handled it very badly and sneakily and had there been a full debate a lot of the scaremongering could have been shown up and we'd have a straight forward vote on the only actual issue which is in front of congress this week - whether we are or are not content to allow the government to fund an increase in IC players expenses within our own rules.

OakLeaf

Quote from: orangeman on April 10, 2008, 10:10:58 AM

Oakleaf - I don't think you've bothered to read all my posts ! So go away and read them before making a summary judgement ! Please and thank you ! Then come back and tell me whose side I'm on. ;)

orangeman, I know whose side you're on and I commend you for that. All I'm saying is that you seem resigned to a position where the ordinary GAA member can't make any difference anyway, so why bother. The GAA hierarchy do seem to be a law onto themselves these days but it won't change until enough people kick up a stink. 

OakLeaf

Quote from: Uladh on April 10, 2008, 11:15:43 AM
Your grievence should be with the GAA and its procedures. Personally i think they handled it very badly and sneakily and had there been a full debate a lot of the scaremongering could have been shown up and we'd have a straight forward vote on the only actual issue which is in front of congress this week - whether we are or are not content to allow the government to fund an increase in IC players expenses within our own rules.

This whole thing has gone beyond a joke now.

It started out as a grants scheme based on meeting certain training criteria and each team's progress in the championship.

Now its a top-up expenses scheme, aimed at those who take their car to training sessions, Oh and by the way we can give some money to those who don't bring their cars under some bogus heading of sundry expenses.

Does anyone really understand what the proposal is and how its going to be implemented. I can see more strikes ahead when players don't get what they were expecting.

Wouldn't it be better for the government to give a straight-forward grant to the GAA for the purposes of implenting a top-up milage scheme? That way, the money could be distributed to each county board who would then pay 1.20 a mile instead of 0.50.

cornafean

Quote from: OakLeaf on April 10, 2008, 01:26:10 PM
This whole thing has gone beyond a joke now.

It started out as a grants scheme based on meeting certain training criteria and each team's progress in the championship.

Now its a top-up expenses scheme, aimed at those who take their car to training sessions, Oh and by the way we can give some money to those who don't bring their cars under some bogus heading of sundry expenses.
Be careful. A few weeks ago, I was accused of being an idiot and a whole lot besides when I expressed similar doubts on these pages about the new "expenses" scheme.  ;)
Does anyone really understand what the proposal is and how its going to be implemented. I can see more strikes ahead when players don't get what they were expecting.
Joe Brolly claimed recently in his Mail on Sunday and Gaelic Life columns that the scheme is totally unworkable except to the extent that it contains a proviso whereby if a player fails to claim his allotted grant/expense allowance, the funds will be reallocated to a "county panel fund". Brolly reckons that panels will agree among themselves not to claim as individuals but to share the proceeds of the "county panel fund" by spending it on a team holiday.

It remains to be seen what will happen when the Sports Council and the Comptroller & Auditor General realise that an exchequer sports allocation of €3.5m is being used effectively as a holiday drinking fund.  :o When the Irish Olympic team return from China without a medal to their name, someone will whinge that they are not getting enough funding from the government. Don't be too surprised if someone accuses the GAA of literally pissing away funds that should in their minds rightfully belong to athletes.

Wouldn't it be better for the government to give a straight-forward grant to the GAA for the purposes of implenting a top-up milage scheme? That way, the money could be distributed to each county board who would then pay 1.20 a mile instead of 0.50.

The problem here is that €1.20 a mile is way more that what either the Irish Revenue or the Inland Revenue in the UK will class as tax-free mileage. People seem to forget also that the Revenue on both sides of the border apply strict restrictions to the payment of mileage. For example, anyone who drives a car paid for by their employer cannot claim additional expenses.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

Quote from: OakLeaf on April 10, 2008, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 10, 2008, 10:10:58 AM

orangeman, I know whose side you're on and I commend you for that. All I'm saying is that you seem resigned to a position where the ordinary GAA member can't make any difference anyway, so why bother. The GAA hierarchy do seem to be a law onto themselves these days but it won't change until enough people kick up a stink. 

Ok but The Of One Belief Group were derided by the GPA and the GAA hierarchy - Nicky Brennan refused to meet them in an official capacity - and when they were beat by some fleet of foot and slight of hand trickery, Nicky Brennan has the audacity to come out and say how they're such decent people and how the GAA would be a poorer organisation without them etc etc ............. You've heard all the aould dribble before !!!!!

The Of One Belief Organisation had over 1000 members from all over Ireland but they were simply ignored !

You tell me how the GAA hierarchy can be taken on ???????

Well I'll tell you the only way you take them on :

Organise a strike !!!!!  ;)

OakLeaf

Quote from: orangeman on April 11, 2008, 01:10:15 PM

;D You could be right!!

Keep chipping away is the only thing I can suggest. The only way to do that is bring forward motions through your club.

I think history will be the harsh judge of Brennan's shenanigans on this issue.

Aside from that, I think there will be lots more turmoil surrounding grants, even if it goes through at congress.

orangeman

Can anyone let me know if Micheal Greenan is attending tomorrow's congress ??

johnpower

Quote from: OakLeaf on April 11, 2008, 01:28:13 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 11, 2008, 01:10:15 PM

;D You could be right!!

Keep chipping away is the only thing I can suggest. The only way to do that is bring forward motions through your club.

I think history will be the harsh judge of Brennan's shenanigans on this issue.

Aside from that, I think there will be lots more turmoil surrounding grants, even if it goes through at congress.

I have not seen much turmoil .1000 members is a big group but when you see Arch conservatives like the Cork county board voting for the grants it shows you what the offiical GAA thinks of the issue

Uladh

Government Grants motion carried

Saturday, April 11.

GAA delegates have voted by a simple majority to accept the €3.5 million package proposed by the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, to recognise the contribution of Senior Inter-county GAA players.

The scheme was passed by delegates at 11.15 am despite strong opposition to the scheme from speakers such as Tyrone's Mark Conway and Donal McAnallen.

An attempt by the Derry County Board to have their motion moved up the Clár was defeated following a vote, after which Con Hogan spoke on behalf of Central Council on the motion.

"This scheme does not in any way contravene European Law," Hogan stated.

Meanwhile GAA Ard Stiurthoir and former Player Welfare Officer Pauric Duffy, maintained that the introduction of the Government grants would not facilitate a road to professionalism.

"This is a recognition of the effort the players put in to protect our indigenous games," Duffy said.

"We as an association are determined to develop and maintain our amateur status.

"It is time to move on – this issue has been on the agenda for the last six years. We need to get on and face the real serious challenges."

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on April 12, 2008, 12:22:52 PM

Government Grants motion carried

Saturday, April 11.

GAA delegates have voted by a simple majority to accept the €3.5 million package proposed by the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, to recognise the contribution of Senior Inter-county GAA players.

The scheme was passed by delegates at 11.15 am despite strong opposition to the scheme from speakers such as Tyrone's Mark Conway and Donal McAnallen.

An attempt by the Derry County Board to have their motion moved up the Clár was defeated following a vote, after which Con Hogan spoke on behalf of Central Council on the motion.

"This scheme does not in any way contravene European Law," Hogan stated.

Meanwhile GAA Ard Stiurthoir and former Player Welfare Officer Pauric Duffy, maintained that the introduction of the Government grants would not facilitate a road to professionalism.

"This is a recognition of the effort the players put in to protect our indigenous games," Duffy said.

"We as an association are determined to develop and maintain our amateur status.

"It is time to move on – this issue has been on the agenda for the last six years. We need to get on and face the real serious challenges."

Which are what Mr. Duffy ? Professionalism ? TV contracts ? Sponsorship rights ? Image rights ?

Where does the ordinary club player fit in Mr. Duffy ?