Mayo CB are trying to kill hurling with the rulebook

Started by neilthemac, March 16, 2008, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

from the mayofans website. there are just TWO club competitions in Mayo. Championship and Genfitt Cup

Genfitt Cup

At the beginning of this week, clubs received notification of this weekends fixtures. However also included in the notification was a demand that €1000 be paid by all the participents to play in the competition. The explanation given was that it is technically a different grade to Senior and that Coyle Hamilton (GAA insurers) had instructed that players in this competition were not covered. It stated that the money had to be with county treasurer by Thursday otherwise the games would not go ahead.

It is deeply unsettling that the county board did not include the genfitt cup as a different grade in the registeration of teams at the beginning of the year and it poses the question why did they leave it so close to the start of the competition to impose this charge.

It is also difficult to understand why the Genfitt Cup is not classified as a senior competition: the only players not allowed are the starting players on the county team and this is only an agreement by the clubs and not a rule. Every player that plays in the Genfitt Cup plays senior also. An attempt to regrade this competition as a junior one would surely make these players ineligible to play senior (or the contrary, anyone that plays senior would then be ineligible to play Genfitt Cup). Given the fact that none of the clubs in Mayo have panels bigger than 30 it is hard to see how any club could compete.

At this point all the fixtures are off and there appears to be alot of confusion as to what is happening and whether the competition will take place.

theskull1

As a very leading light in trying to get hurling thriving again has said

"The most dangerous threat to hurling is not from external influences but from the the GAA itself."
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

the ship

the genfitt cup was originally a junior championship played by all the senior clubs with the only rule been that the county champions could not play 7 of their starting 15 from the previous years county final reason for this was at the time toreen were dominating hurling in mayo and winning everything so it gave all the other clubs al least some chance of silverware.

In thepast few years with toreen dominance waning they brought in a rule that any players on the county team would not be eligible for genfitt cup so as to give all the other playetrs on the club panels some game time and to releive the pressure on the county players during national league season both good ideas but for some reason now after all this time the county baord in their wisdom have decided that to play this competition its going to cost each of the clubs an extra €1000 on top of what they have already paid.

i dont know what the wider world out there thinks but we that are the coal face ,its just one more knife in our backs to try and stop hurling flourishing in mayo,i could tell ye stories of things they have done but would probably be sued left right and centre but beleie me its true,to be where we are in the hurling world is truly a remarkable achievement considering what is done to stifle us in mayo and at connaught council level

the ship

county board meeting tonight at 7.30 pm with the hurling clubs should be good fun

RedandGreenSniper

You're right Ship, this one is a joke. Hurling is definitely the poor relation in Mayo. But when the hurling rep on the county board is not willing to stand up for the game its hard to see any way out of it.
Until the hurling community stands together as a unit and is able to go through the proper channels and also get the message out there about what is happening then it will keep happening.
As far as the county board are concerned football is number one (which it is I guess) and the pressure is on them to deliver with that. So long as they know they can put any sort of work for hurling on the long finger they will continue to do so
How did that meeting go?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!