Donal O'Neill in Irish Daily Mail slates GPA

Started by Seany, March 10, 2008, 01:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteI think you're misunderstanding me Zulu. I'm not saying that everybody who supports the grants is pro-professionalism. What I'm saying is that those people who would be against the grants will feel reinforced in their opposition that such a pro-professionalism writer is also pro-grants.

One of the most key factors in peoples opposition to the grants, or at least the GAA's role in handing out the money, is that it is a step on the way to professionalism. Martin Breheny coming out in favour of them, will reinforce that opinion.

Again, I am not saying that all people in favour of grants will think like that, I'm sure most don't and wouldn't like to think that.

I understand what you're saying alright AZ and you're largely correct in what you're saying. The only point I'm making is that some posters were suggesting that pro-grant/GPA journos were not expressing their own views but were in fact writing articles under duress. I don't accept that to be the case.

quidnunc

The other fascinating point is O'Neill's claim that Donal Og Cusack is the man pulling the strings in the GPA now. Without wanting to go over all the old ground again, I think this does vindicate those of us who suspected ulterior motives in the role of the Cork hurlers in striking over the issue of the football selectors.

If, as O'Neill suggests, Cusack was pulling the strings for the threatened national strike over grants, it would hardly be surprising if he was doing the same for a strike in Cork.

Some people said at the time that they were two entirely separate issues, but when you have the person at the helm, with similarly militant views on both issues and pushing a similarly militant action, I can't see how you can completely divorce the two.

theskull1

Quote from: Zulu on March 10, 2008, 04:22:33 PM
QuoteI think you're misunderstanding me Zulu. I'm not saying that everybody who supports the grants is pro-professionalism. What I'm saying is that those people who would be against the grants will feel reinforced in their opposition that such a pro-professionalism writer is also pro-grants.

One of the most key factors in peoples opposition to the grants, or at least the GAA's role in handing out the money, is that it is a step on the way to professionalism. Martin Breheny coming out in favour of them, will reinforce that opinion.

Again, I am not saying that all people in favour of grants will think like that, I'm sure most don't and wouldn't like to think that.

I understand what you're saying alright AZ and you're largely correct in what you're saying. The only point I'm making is that some posters were suggesting that pro-grant/GPA journos were not expressing their own views but were in fact writing articles under duress. I don't accept that to be the case.

I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't their own views. I was suggesting that their perspective was clouded by the fact that they have a vested interest in the game becoming more professional at an intercounty level. Nothing to do with duress. I could of course be wrong but you cannot tell me that the national media orginisations (and the people working within) would not prefer the GAA going professional.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

BANLAB

Where is the point of continuing this argument. We live in a changing world. The GAA is semi professional in any case - advertising products, holiday funds etc. All sports have gone through this phase, rugby, tennis athletics etc. Anyhow it will soon be the case that a footballer with any talent will be playing Aussie rules. Take a look at the anti crowd at their meeting in Toome or wherever, They wouldn't look out of place at an Ulster Says No or a Love Ulster rally. They are the Jim Allisters of the GAA. Move on for Christs sake. Some people are trying to hold back the tide with a pitchfork. Even if this scheme is knocked on the head something else will replace it, probably more sinister.

theskull1

Too may people have invested too much of their lives upholding the amatuer ethos to do that. I take it you haven't been on the planet long enough to hold these values as dear as others.

If your doomsday scenario ever happens, then I and plenty like me will be gone from the GAA forever

cornafean

Quote from: BANLAB on March 10, 2008, 06:02:48 PMTake a look at the anti crowd at their meeting in Toome or wherever, They wouldn't look out of place at an Ulster Says No or a Love Ulster rally.

Were you there? If so, did you speak your mind. Otherwise, how did you arrive at the above conclusions?

Do you include Joe Brolly, for example, in your analysis?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: theskull1 on March 10, 2008, 06:31:42 PM
Too may people have invested too much of their lives upholding the amatuer ethos to do that. I take it you haven't been on the planet long enough to hold these values as dear as others.

If your doomsday scenario ever happens, then I and plenty like me will be gone from the GAA forever

Can you define what you mean by "amateur status"?

theskull1

So that you can pick holes in my argument? No thanks...I already know that the GAA is doing itself no favours in this regard and very much wish it would do something about these. I thought dubs that you would have had grown tired of the old two wrongs makes it right, form of argumentation?

Hardy

Far from people seeing the absolute stupidity of that line of argument, it's actually spreading. O'Rourke is at it now.

Rossfan

Quote from: theskull1 on March 10, 2008, 06:31:42 PM

And where exactly will ye go?
Ye have one life and there's one GAA.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Rossfan - can the association sustain paying players ? How much will it cost ? Will it be detrimental to the association at any level ?

Rossfan

32 Football sqauds of 25 each plus 6 or 7 coaching and admin staff = about 1,000 people at about €60,000 per head per annum. say €60m
15 or so Hurling squads  say €25m
Full time pro on those figures  ??? - Not a chance.
I suspect it will go on with the present structures but Inter Co players will be better "looked after" and will probably get a percentage of gate monies divided among them at the end of the year, while a lot of them will be employed as full time coaches to schools and the like.
Whether ye boys like it or not the Inter Co lads are the income generators and "wont go away ye know" like they did in days of old when the grown ups on the Committees and the Boards told them to do so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

The issue of pay for GAA players will be one of the topics tonight on Questions and Answers. Peter Quinn is on the panel.

orangeman

gate monies divided among them at the end of the year

You're having a laugh now !!  ;D ;D ;D

orangeman

Where does Quinn sit with pay for play ? Or will he just be another Northern whinger who always says no.