Sligo V Wexford NFL Div3

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 12, 2008, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

O hara is suspended and is a big loss but we arent the one man team outsiders think we are.

Who would the Sligo lads on this board pick at Centre half back? Everyone seems to have the same opinion regarding mcnamara there. That he should be put up in the forwards. Id go for EGAN but he is injured. Does anyone know how long he is out for and how long mcpartland and t taylor are out too?

Wexford suprised me with the win over longford and 3-8 is a good score. Our full back line is our strongest line so not too worried about Forde. Beirne has done well at midfield and 2 weeks more training for quinn should help his fitness . Cawley has done very well in the forwards too.

I think we will win and if we get near to the level of down game 1st half we will be very impressive but id just like to never go through that 2nd experience ever again.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Dunno about Egan, great when things get loose, in the second half etc., but noone does a better impression of the lights being on, but nobody home. Not reliable for CHB. Difficult to know who would fill it, McGuire could have before his relocation to FB. McGowan isn't the answer either IMO. Naughton would be a decent option, or is he in the treatment room again?

Difficult to know how we'll do on Sunday. Wexford ain't as good as they were, yet we still beat them here the year they reached the final and we went down. Hopefully the sharpness is returning more, can't have another collapse in the second half like Newry, sure they will be much fitter in time, but hopefully it won't be too late. I'd go for Wexford, but wouldn't be surprised if we take the points.

Owenmoresider

I see Phillips mentioned as another option on HS. Been there before, did alright, but again not totally reliable for the role. Martyn is a loss alright.

SLIGONIAN

Someone said Curran. I think thats a fair good call. He is small but he is a great break winner, and tenocious tackler. He is not easy to get past either. I see more defensive qualities with him than attacking although he had a great day against ross last yr but not the norm with him.

I wouldnt be naughtons biggest fan for any defensive roles. He played against leitrim in the FBD looks unfit, sluggish and very rusty which is understandable but when he was full back all those yrs i never found him reliable or consistent. My Dad regurlarly proposed N McGuire for FB even back then which was proven 100% right. His preferred choice for CHB is Martyn but he s not commiting this yr so far. He wasnt treated great last yr in my opinion and were not suprised hes not back.

Personally I would have egan, curran, philips or martyn in there ahead of mcnamara at CHB and I would push mcnamara into left corner forward. Thats where he played in 2005 and thats were I seen him play well consistently and impressed me the most. Not many people back in 2002 would of thought J Davey as a no7.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 13, 2008, 02:15:11 PM
Someone said Curran.

Forget about Curran as a chb. He is too small plus his kick pass is nowhere near good enough.
The main factors for chb is a big strong athlete who can prevent opposition attacking through the most direct route to goal (down the middle). He doesn't need to be a good marker he stays in middle and protects the full back line. Also a good distributor of the back is vital. I thi k McNamara possesses 2 of those attributes but is not abrasive enough to prevent opposition running down middle. Curran has the abrasiveness but not the vision, kickpass. i'd have O'Hara in there with McNamara chf. But McIntyre if he is convinced into the panel would be an ideal chb

irunthev

Has anyone seen much of Daniel Davey so far this year playing for Sligo?

SLIGONIAN

Ive seen Daniel Davey. He played the full match against Leitrim in the FBD and came on against Down. He looks a really good  player. He got a great point from play against leitrim and ran at the defence. He has got pace and looks a stylish footballer with alot of composure on the ball. He impressed me most of all the newcomers. He was well justified getting on in the down game. One to watch in this yrs league. Very promising.

Mano: I agree on your attributes a chb needs. I would just ask every Sligoman to watch mcnamara when the opposition are on top in a game and have possesion. Against Down it was like the red sea opened in our defence right through the middle and mcnamara went invisible as I said in my post match review. Poor j davey and mcgovern were trying to cover 2 & 3 man overlapps and mcnamaras fault in my opinion.  I wouldnt say mcnamara is strong but he is tall, he is hit/miss with his passing from what I see. I do agree with your curran weaknesses and yes O Hara would be a good choice too. It cost us dear in the 2nd half last time and I just hope either mcnamara improves drastically or we can dominate a game enough to cover mcnamaras weakness there.

OakLeaf

Is there anyone going to the Sligo / Wexford match that would be willing to text updates to the Live Scores service on GAA Radio?  The number to send your texts to is 447624804328. The service is free for everyone to view at http://www.gaaradio.com/scores/liveScores.jsp . Thanks.

Model Hammer

This has the makings of a fascinating game. At the end of the Div 2B campaign last year, Wexford were despondent at finishing 3rd due to an inferior "scores for" to Meath in 2nd, while 4 or 5 points below them, Sligo were ecstatic at finishing 4th after coming away from Aughrim with a great win that kept them out of Div 4 - and in the AI Qualifiers. Then a few months later, Sligo were celebrating a rare Provinicial Title, while Wexford had to suffer the ignominy of a 4th successive Semi-Final defeat ....

The early signs are that Wexford may have found that they still have a kick in them, and may yet have the hunger for another long campaign in search of some silverware. Against Longford, our new manager started one new man in every line of the team, which was a fairly bold approach, and it proved a success. The lads were up for it, a couple of them were a bit too up for it, and two debutants saw red towards the end of fairly impressive debuts.

New Manager Syndrome usually produces a positive reaction for the first game or two, and it seems that Jason Ryan has brought a freshness that the players have responded to, but we'll know more after Sunday.

Even from the Connaught Final team it seems Sligo are missing 4 or 5 lads, and judging by the earlier posts, are in somewhat of a transition. Wexford are keen to get as many new lads up to scratch as early as possible in ther season, to avoid the fiasco last year when two of the subs we brought on in the Leinster Semi-Final had never played competitive Senior Football for Wexford before. So the outcome is a bit hard to predict with a bit of experimentation still on both sides.

Sligo will feel that an away defeat to Down is no disgrace, and a home win will put things back on track. Likewise defeat here would be no disaster for Wexford. But I have a good feeling about Jason Ryan (after some initial scepticism) and I think he will see this as a good opportunity for a result on the road.

Sean Davey destroyed us 3 years ago in Markievicz, and I'll be happier once I'm sure he's not playing ;) ... if we're not short any of our key players I think we should have enough to come away with a point or two ....

SLIGONIAN

It is a huge game. We win and were back in the promotion race, we lose and we could be d4 bound. Sean davey wont be back for this game but maybe later. Gerry McGowan is set to start in oharas place with id say the only change from the down game according to sligo champion.

The stand is being extended so only terrace open. I wouldnt expect many from wexford(wild distance to travel) but hopefully many from sligo will turn out. The weather is set to be good. Im looking forward to it.

Model Hammer

Sligonian, is that standing only then? This may have a bearing on whether I bring my young lad or not ....

Wexford (NFL v Sligo): A. Masterson; C. Morris, P. Wallace, D. Walsh; A. Morrissey, B. Malone, G. Sunderland; B. Doyle, E, Bradley; B. Brosnan, R. Barry, P. Curtis; S. Roche, A. Flynn, M. Forde.

Slight variation on the team that beat Longford, so I guess they've gotten the vote of confidence. Still I would like to see some of the more established fellas coming off the bench at some stage, such as Paddy Colfer, John Hudson, Rory Stafford, Ciaran Lyng.

I didn't see a Sligo team announced yet.

SLIGONIAN

Model Hammer- Fair play on travelling up to the game and safe journey, this notice is from the sligo gaa website. It means there is no seating. Only the terrace behind the town end goals and along one side of the pitch is open.

Markievicz Park Arrangements.on Sunday February  17th

Due to the ongoing work on the extension to the stand, there will be no access to the stand area on Sunday or for the duration of the work.

Supporters will have to use the cemetery side of the grounds. Access will be at the Main entrance /Town end only. This is necessary in the interest of the safety of all who access the venue.

Sligo G.A.A. Co.Committee and the Markievicz Park Committee regret the inconvenience to everybody and assure them that the ongoing work will lead to improved spectator facilities in the future

Owenmoresider

I'll post more on this game tomorrow, one we lost 0-14 to 0-13 in the end. I only want to say one thing now - and all Sligo and Wexford folk are doubtless in agreement - Declan Corcoran should never be let onto a pitch with a whistle ever again. How that f**king clown get to ref inter-county matches only Fr Gardiner will know. Refereeing is bollixed if he is the future of it. >:(

Model Hammer

Jayses lads, I don't normally indulge in wanton criticism of referees. I'm usually in the benign camp that say we have to have refs, would you do it yourself, rulebook is shite, etc etc ....

But that was the worst display of inter-county refereeing I've seen in a long time. It was a complete lottery what way he was going to blow at any time - and he blew a lot! Even the sending off was comical. The second foul blown on Sunderland was not a booking offence, but he had already reached for the pocket. Then he tried to give him the black book when he realised. THEN there was such a roar of abuse from the Sligo crowd on the line that he called him back then and gave him the 2nd yellow!

But Owenmore, what's the story with the scoreboard, or lack thereof? Very bad form for a National League game in the County Ground. Stand under construction is no excuse whatsoever. Not impressed ....

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 18, 2008, 02:03:02 AM
I'll post more on this game tomorrow, one we lost 0-14 to 0-13 in the end. I only want to say one thing now - and all Sligo and Wexford folk are doubtless in agreement - Declan Corcoran should never be let onto a pitch with a whistle ever again. How that f**king clown get to ref inter-county matches only Fr Gardiner will know. Refereeing is bollixed if he is the future of it. >:(

Is that the same fella that did Galway v Leitrim in the FBD because if it was he was beyond useless.