Paddywagon Attacked Again

Started by full back, January 24, 2008, 10:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2008, 04:26:10 PM
and probably there's a few Catholic Unionists, and Protestant Nationalists.

You are clutching at straws here az

AZOffaly

Maybe, but it's a bugbear of mine. I much prefer people to talk about political outlooks than religion. I know the vast majority of Nationalist people are Catholics, and Protestants are Unionists, but I would argue that the violence in Northern Ireland is more to do with the political leanings rather than what church they attend. I'm sure there is a certain level of sectarian hatred for religious reasons, by fundamentalist nutters, but I don't think you can assume this was attacked because it is owned by Catholics. Owned by Paddies, probably.

full back

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2008, 04:30:38 PM
but I would argue that the violence in Northern Ireland is more to do with the political leanings rather than what church they attend.

Why do you think this?

ziggysego

Maybe, but it's a bugbear of mine. I much prefer people to talk about political outlooks than religion. I know the vast majority of Nationalist people are Catholics, and Protestants are Unionists, but I would argue that the violence in Northern Ireland is more to do with the political leanings rather than what church they attend. I'm sure there is a certain level of sectarian hatred for religious reasons, by fundamentalist nutters, but I don't think you can assume this was attacked because it is owned by Catholics. Owned by Paddies, probably.

I completely get what you're saying. However we are talking about a few neanderthals who don't or won't know the difference.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on February 12, 2008, 04:34:09 PM
but I would argue that the violence in Northern Ireland is more to do with the political leanings rather than what church they attend.

Why do you think this?

Because the political differences are much more stark than the religious ones.

SammyG

Cheers AZ you've said exactly what I was going to say. I would think that if this attack was 'motivated' (and not just random hoods) then the motivation was political rather than relegious.

stiffler

Has anyone ever been on any of these paddywagon tours?

Would it be a good way to see round southern ireland?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 12, 2008, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 11, 2008, 11:29:56 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on February 11, 2008, 07:02:26 PM

The paddywagon incidents. Anyone think this was anything other than sectarian?
I hope it was.

That could never be ruled out. There are plenty of bad ballixs about who will wreck anything, no matter what. Sectarianism is just too handy a label sometimes for what is just anti-social behaviour. 

I think that the fact that the same bus company (with it's distinctive livery) has been attacked FOUR times in the last year or so puts these attacks beyond anti-social and into the realms of sectarian behaviour - where they occured has to be taken into account when discussing weither or not these attacks are sectarian.

I have lost count of the number of times a train has been stoned when I have been sitting on it. The same can be said for ambulances, fire engines, a hearse in Derry ffs, and even road gritters. The truth of the matter is no-one knows apart from the wee shites that did it. It wouldn't have been below one tribe or other over the last number of years to attack their own churches to get the other crowd the blame and stoke up a bit of hate.

Fishbat

Quite correct AZ, majority is political not religious, then again you have the trash on both sides who don't even know why they are clodding bricks through aul dolls windows, just for the sake of it - sure most of these spides on both sides would'nt know what the inside of a church looked like, they'd know more about the bottom of a glue beg

Anyway - frankly i see it as pure jealousy an attack on this company, because of the massive appeal of everything Irish abroad, people want to come to Ireland to experience our unique culture - not British, if they want that they go to London, Newcastle, Bristol etc... to sample real fish and chips British culture.

No tourist wants to experience the poisonous loyalist version of "British" culture which revolves around hating all things Irish (curiously whilst living in Ireland!) - including the very bus they travel on due to its colour.

More so, few tourists know much or indeed cares about loyalism - and that includes English tourists, they simply don't care, or those that do know anything about it are embarassed

Jealousy and envy are at the very core of this and loyalism in general all through the years.

Time for unionism to get its house in order

GweylTah

Quote from: Fishbat on February 12, 2008, 09:22:31 PM

Quite correct AZ, majority is political not religious, then again you have the trash on both sides who don't even know why they are clodding bricks through aul dolls windows, just for the sake of it - sure most of these spides on both sides would'nt know what the inside of a church looked like, they'd know more about the bottom of a glue beg

Anyway - frankly i see it as pure jealousy an attack on this company, because of the massive appeal of everything Irish abroad, people want to come to Ireland to experience our unique culture - not British, if they want that they go to London, Newcastle, Bristol etc... to sample real fish and chips British culture.

No tourist wants to experience the poisonous loyalist version of "British" culture which revolves around hating all things Irish (curiously whilst living in Ireland!) - including the very bus they travel on due to its colour.

More so, few tourists know much or indeed cares about loyalism - and that includes English tourists, they simply don't care, or those that do know anything about it are embarassed

Jealousy and envy are at the very core of this and loyalism in general all through the years.

Time for unionism to get its house in order

Brilliantly basic analysis, well said!

Yer Ma

Should be noted that your guy McPhelimy has now said that he doesn't believe that it was loyalists did this attack.

Must be a lot of f**kwits floating about with nothing better to do with their time than destroy buses...........

Evil Genius

Quote from: Yer Ma on February 14, 2008, 03:37:49 PM
Should be noted that your guy McPhelimy has now said that he doesn't believe that it was loyalists did this attack.

"Should be noted", but probably won't - at least by some of the "demonisers" on this Board... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 14, 2008, 04:46:02 PM

"Should be noted", but probably won't - at least by some of the "demonisers" on this Board... ::)

Do you think it was nationalists that might have done it EG?
And do you think it would have received similar attention if it were a plain white bus?

Even the folks on OWC beleive it was because of the tricolours etc on the van and its proximity to the Loyalist neighbourhood.

Call it sectarian, political, racist, whatever, but the likelyhood is this bus would not have been burnt in this area by these people had it been emblazoned with a Union Jack.
Thats not to say others wouldnt have targetted it in this case.

Will you throw them onto the list of "demonisers" ?
Ask me holy bollix

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 14, 2008, 05:10:48 PM

And do you think it would have received similar attention if it were a plain white bus?

Even the folks on OWC beleive it was because of the tricolours etc on the van and its proximity to the Loyalist neighbourhood.

Call it sectarian, political, racist, whatever, but the likelyhood is this bus would not have been burnt in this area by these people had it been emblazoned with a Union Jack.

Eh?  ???

It's a bit of a leap going from the owner saying he didn't think "Loyalists" [sic] did it this time, to implying that Nationalists did it!

I have no idea whatever who did it this time. All I am saying is that on the first (or second?) occasion one was burnt, because it happened to be a match day, there was a rush to blame NI fans, without any evidence whatever. Similarly, there was the general assumption this time that it was Loyalists.

Which, because of the circumstances (name, Tricolours etc) is not such an unreasonable piece of supposition, but still mistaken. But this latter will probably be forgotten in the rush to condemn by people who know sod all about it.

Speaking of which, do YOU know where Fitzwilliam St is, when you talk about "its proximity to the Loyalist neighbourhood"? Suspiciously vague construction, that... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fishbat

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 14, 2008, 07:43:02 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on February 14, 2008, 05:10:48 PM

Eh?  ???

It's a bit of a leap going from the owner saying he didn't think "Loyalists" [sic] did it this time, to implying that Nationalists did it!

I have no idea whatever who did it this time. All I am saying is that on the first (or second?) occasion one was burnt, because it happened to be a match day, there was a rush to blame NI fans, without any evidence whatever. Similarly, there was the general assumption this time that it was Loyalists.

Which, because of the circumstances (name, Tricolours etc) is not such an unreasonable piece of supposition, but still mistaken. But this latter will probably be forgotten in the rush to condemn by people who know sod all about it.
Speaking of which, do YOU know where Fitzwilliam St is, when you talk about "its proximity to the Loyalist neighbourhood"? Suspiciously vague construction, that... ::)

"But still mistaken.....blah.de blah....who know sod all about it"

Infering that you do know all about it, how do you know they are mistaken?  how can you say people are mistaken and know sod all about it when you know sod all about it? - no-one including the owner knows who did it - but it isn't difficult to guess a motive, be it organised or drunken teenagers

A straight question - what do thee, sherlock, think was the motive? tell us the first thought that comes to YOUR mind - no blustering, no filibustering, nor any other kind of "ustering" - try honesty instead of wishy washy wafflery