Mayo v Derry - NFL 2.02.08 Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 21, 2008, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

2 weeks away from the big throw-in. The real stuff about to get underway.

The first thing Mayo fans will look for is a more determined and focused effort than in our last competitive game in Celtic Park. The home team will be big favourites though.

Champ15

Yes i agree Derry will be the favourites as they are very hard to beat at home.Having said that we always start well in the league and and i think if they go up there with the right attitude i think we might sneak a win.Im sure the players will have revenge on their minds but at the end of the day all im looking for and possibly other supporters aswell is a spirited performance and not to be embarrassed like last years game.
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

AbbeySider

Should be a good game id say. Which weekend is it on?

rosnarun

Judging  by the thread title weekend of the 02.02.08?

the team selection will be very interesting as the FBD is now such a 3rd rate event with so few players availible for selection . its very hard to know whos availible or not from injury, resting, College, semi-retired waiting for the weather to warm up ect
anyone care to read JOMs mind? or even have a panel list?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

From reading reports of the FBD games (haven't been home for any of them) I'd say Howley will have the no 6 jersey for Derry.

BJP has played full back in all games, but the Rossies got 2 goals yesterday and at least one was directly from a BJ mistake - doesn't look like he's the answer (didn't we already know that?), but who are we going to get to do a right job back there?? Heaney again?

Mickey Mullins has to he guaranteed a corner forward spot - the one 'find' of the FBD. Gardiner seems to be settling in as a roving midfielder, but surely if the Ballina players are available McGarrity has to come in, perhaps alongside Seamus O'Shea with Gardiner wearing a half forward jersey but playing as 3rd midfielder.

Both goalkeepers tried in the FBD made mistakes that gave away soft goals. Again, if Ballina players are available, David Clarke would have to start. If not, Nallen seems to be the choice.
Keith Higgins, when introduced has been playing as a half back - but you also have T Mort, Tom Cunniffe and possibly Heaney all vying for those half back positions.

Up front, apart from Mickey Mullins, Dillon and C Mort are guarantees. Benson has scored a couple of goals, but still seems to have some convincing to do. Barry Moran to continue as big full-forward? Kilkoyne to come into half forwards?

Here's a stab it for the craic:

Clarke
A Higgins
BJP (due to lack of choice)
L O'Malley
K Higgins
T Howley
T Mort
S O'Shea
R McGarrity
P Gardiner
A Dillon
M Mullins
C Mort
B Moran
A O'Malley 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bogball XV

Should the thread title not be "Derry v Mayo", honest to God, you southerners, just because RTE News/radio haven't grasped that the home team should be first (or the away team, as long as there's consistency) and not the winning team doesn't mean the rest of you can't move on and do it properly.
Anyway, Derry to lose by ten as the Bradley's are blinded by the new Celtic Park lights.
Any of you going up and staying the saturday night?

Champ15

Not so Sure on mickey mullins played against him a couple of times and while he is deadly from frees im not so sure of his general play.By all means he should get a run out in the league but when it comes to the championship i think he will be found out as all he has is the ability to score from frees and we have enough free takers as it is.
Ballina Stephenites

IolarCoisCuain

I presume that McGarrity is ruled out by his Stephenite obligations. The little comment in brackets about Billy Joe is a little mean-spirited Tubberman. Billy's let nobody down while wearing the colours. He deserves better treatment than that, don't you think?

Rav67

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 21, 2008, 08:53:13 PM
I presume that McGarrity is ruled out by his Stephenite obligations. The little comment in brackets about Billy Joe is a little mean-spirited Tubberman. Billy's let nobody down while wearing the colours. He deserves better treatment than that, don't you think?

BJP is a good utility player to have and has plugged a number of holes in his time for Mayo, a bit like Johnny Mcbride used to for Derry.  I wouldn't want him at full-back though, I dont watch that many Mayo games but I'd say his best position would be wing-half-forward.

Tubberman

QuoteThe little comment in brackets about Billy Joe is a little mean-spirited Tubberman. Billy's let nobody down while wearing the colours. He deserves better treatment than that, don't you think?

I didn't mean it in a mean-spirited way at all. What I meant was that Billy Joe was already tried at FB and it didn't work. I can't see how it will have changed at this stage. He's not a natural full back from what I can see, so if anything, it's unfair to ask him to plug that hole.
As you say, he's never let anyone down when playing for Mayo. He was probably our best player in the 06 final after Kevin O'Neill and D Brady and shouldn't have been taken off.
But he's moved to every line of the pitch bar goalkeeper and it's not fair on him. He's suffering because of his versatility.
But I don't see him playing FB in the championship, so I'd like to someone else tried there - and that's not meant as an insult in any way.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

Quote from: Tubberman on January 21, 2008, 09:43:30 PM
QuoteThe little comment in brackets about Billy Joe is a little mean-spirited Tubberman. Billy's let nobody down while wearing the colours. He deserves better treatment than that, don't you think?

I didn't mean it in a mean-spirited way at all. What I meant was that Billy Joe was already tried at FB and it didn't work. I can't see how it will have changed at this stage. He's not a natural full back from what I can see, so if anything, it's unfair to ask him to plug that hole.
As you say, he's never let anyone down when playing for Mayo. He was probably our best player in the 06 final after Kevin O'Neill and D Brady and shouldn't have been taken off.
But he's moved to every line of the pitch bar goalkeeper and it's not fair on him. He's suffering because of his versatility.
But I don't see him playing FB in the championship, so I'd like to someone else tried there - and that's not meant as an insult in any way.

I'd agree with all of that - happy to see BJP playing in the half forward line. However O'Mahoney is prob a bit stuck for someone to play there at the moment, I don't think it's an experiment with a view to a long term re-location just not spoilt for choice. Same as Peadar Gardener at centrefield

Barney

BJP is the most stout hearted footballer on the panel. Its unfair to ask him play full-back. I'd like to see him at full-forward - he was a relative success there in 2004.

Anyway we have just over 10 days to find a full-back. I think the selectors could have been a bit more imaginative in their search and that to me is a worrying sign. JOM has a lot of convincing to do early this year

rosnarun

would it not be even more worrying if he moved BJP away from full back again at this late stage before the league. what alternatives are there. Liam o malley? pat kelly, james /david kilcullen? no sure fire winners there. come june my guess we will be back to david heaney D.V.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Champ15

Wouldnt be a bad idea to give john brogan a run at fb he was one of the top defenders in the county this year and i think he's strongest at the fullback.Dont think BJP is a fb he's more of a work horse and is suited around the half back/forward line.
Ballina Stephenites

Farrandeelin

Here we are again. Debating the fullback option. At least this year we have a potentially good midfield and no 6(in the guise of Trevor Howley). Will Heaney be available for the Derry game? Regarding the full back option, it's a worrying sign that nobody really stands out. I wouldn't give the fullback to Brogan however, maybe a cornerback role but not fullback. The game against Westmeath probably won't do much either to sort out problems because they're dire.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.