Bargains - alcohol.

Started by Lecale2, January 20, 2008, 07:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

I was in Armagh town centre on Thursday. I had to go due to work. I noticed a big sign outside the office licence beside the Drumarg housing estate - Buckfast 2 bottles for £5.

Is there a better bargain available any where in Ireland? I texted all the Armagh people I know to let them know about it but they knew about it already.

Armagh4SamAgain

They only drink it is Armagh city an Lurgan and Portydown. i never see it in newry or cross its a north Armagh drink so it is.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

john mcgill

Couple of years ago I was in Kelly's off licence and a heavily pierced young man was taking bottles of Buckfast out of the cooler and holding them up to the light.  I was waiting to buy a Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc!  After a time I became impatient, Coronation Street was due to start.  I asked what he was up to and he told me that the fuller bottles of Buckfast had less air in them and tasted better! There's not just Buckfast drinkers in Armagh, we have fortified wine connoisseurs.

inisceithleann

It's a few years since I drank Buckfast. Never warmed to it at all. Can't understand peoples fascination with it.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Whitehair

Jez that is some value, might take a jaunt over en route to the holylands on sunday nite(put the loan to use :P). The best value ive seen before was 2 for £8 in winemark about 4 years ago. 54 tins of strongbow or carling for £20 was great value in ASDA over christmas too.

Zapatista

Is it true that you can buy shots of Buckfast in Glasgow?

stephenite

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 20, 2008, 07:59:08 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on January 20, 2008, 07:18:57 PM
I was in Armagh town centre on Thursday. I had to go due to work.

Where you on danger money?

And you a teacher!!

Whitehair

You wouldnt be able to in the town centre but i wouldnt be surprised if ya could in places like Govan, Gallowgate etc. Sure you can get a triple or there abouts in the Front bar of the Coach nite club, Banbridge, for about £3.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Zapatista on January 20, 2008, 11:51:19 PM
Is it true that you can buy shots of Buckfast in Glasgow?

It's in the optics in every bar in Lurgan & most in Armagh.

It's great stuff for a festival... gets/keeps you going through the hangovers/rain/tiredness!

Sky Blue

How come this stuff is so popular in Armagh and not in other parts of the North? I wouldn't know where to buy a bottle of it in Dublin.

BennyHarp

During my student days in belfast, buckfast was an important part of the diet! All the bottles are numbered 1-20 if you look closely at the base of the bottle! Apparantly, the closer the number of the bottle is to 1, the stronger the alcohol content in the bottle!! Thats probably why the pierced bloke was looking closely at the bottles before he bought one! Has anyone else heard this rumour before?
That was never a square ball!!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Lecale2 on January 20, 2008, 07:18:57 PM
I was in Armagh town centre on Thursday. I had to go due to work. I noticed a big sign outside the office licence beside the Drumarg housing estate - Buckfast 2 bottles for £5.

Is there a better bargain available any where in Ireland? I texted all the Armagh people I know to let them know about it but they knew about it already.

Sorry to Dispel the myth but it's actually 2 bottles for £10.  If It was 2 for £5 the place would be wrecked

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 21, 2008, 10:36:09 AM
During my student days in belfast, buckfast was an important part of the diet! All the bottles are numbered 1-20 if you look closely at the base of the bottle! Apparantly, the closer the number of the bottle is to 1, the stronger the alcohol content in the bottle!! Thats probably why the pierced bloke was looking closely at the bottles before he bought one! Has anyone else heard this rumour before?

the numbers go well into the 30's now as well, maybe even more

rosnarun

QuoteCloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc
what a w**ker
do you really feel the need to Justify going in to an off liceince by proving your a ponce. I heard a lot more Shite talked about wine and by people drinking wine than youll ever hear by Buckfasters.
I dont drink at all but the shit that comes out wine drinkers does my head in  should you be on a leinster or muster rugby site discussing you latest trip to burgouin or somewhere  anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

his holiness nb

Jaysus all he said was which wine he was looking for  :o
(seriously I'd edit that before mods go reaching for the cards)

Its a nice wine too btw  ;)

Best deal down south is in tescos, bier d'or, french stuff.
20x250ml bottles for euro7.99
Decent stuff when ice cold.
Ask me holy bollix

thejuice

bought cheap Budweiser 500ml cans in Iceland to bring to a house party, someone else bought their Bud regular sized cans in Tesco. having got through my own cans I moved on to the other ones (with his permission of course). The difference in quality was very noticable.

While its hardly surprising considering the price, but is it normal for companies to make differenct quality beers to for different shops?? the labelling on the cans were the exact same and the "born on" dates were both recent
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016