The GAA and Olympic recognition

Started by darbyo, December 06, 2007, 10:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

I was watching TV3 sports last night and apparently the GAA are looking for Gaelic games to be recognized as an olympic sport. If they succeed they can get local councils on the European continent to build facilities that cater for the GAA. Anyone know anything about this?

carnaross

Quote from: darbyo on December 06, 2007, 10:18:54 AM
I was watching TV3 sports last night and apparently the GAA are looking for Gaelic games to be recognized as an olympic sport. If they succeed they can get local councils on the European continent to build facilities that cater for the GAA. Anyone know anything about this?

When i was in Birmingham for a club game about 18 months ago, I suuggested to some people from Herts about the possibility of have Gaelic as a guest Olympic sport at the 2012 games. It was deemed to be a great idea, especially with 8 years to organise. I mentioned it again at a Yorkshire County Board meeting shortly afterwards and was told that the lads in London were already looking into it. I suggested an under 21's competition for tems throughout the country, so you'd be looking at building up the current 12-14's players for it. What better incentive is there to keep lads playing? I'm betting it'll be another opportunity missed by the powers that be. Maybe it could be something for the new County Development Officers to focus on. Ah sure, maybe i'm thinking too far outside the box for some people?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

rosnarun

looks like we have found some one even wiser than his holiness nb . carnaross  is there any chance you can coolate all you external box think for the benifit of of the hoi polloi.
PaT 'asshole ' hickey incharge of the GAA thats all we need
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

dublinfella

so the GAA should become an Olympic sport because they believe European local authorities will somehow be obliged to build them free stuff?  ???

that has to be one of the most bizarre thought processes ever.

considering rugby is not considered global enough for the olympics, i think its fair to say this idea is a non-runner. to say the least

And besides, how embarrasing would it be for Australia to take gold?

orangeman

his holiness nb

I was watching TV3 sports last night and apparently the GAA are looking for Gaelic games to be recognized as an olympic sport.

Did this come from a GAA source? Sounds very unlikely, and to be honest a bit silly. I wouldnt tend to believe the report till I heard it from the GAA though.

Ask me holy bollix

J70

How will the Irish feel if a dictat comes down from above obliging us to build baseball fields or ice hockey rinks or cricket pitches?

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on December 06, 2007, 01:38:51 PM

Somehow I cant imagine you being embarrassed by that at all Dublinfella  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 06, 2007, 01:52:50 PM

???

I'm embarrased for you. Thats about it

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on December 06, 2007, 02:21:11 PM

???

I made the point that you wouldnt be embarrassed as, not being a GAA fan, I presumed you would care too much about who wins which GAA games.
Why are you embarrassed for me for making that point?  ???

Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 06, 2007, 02:23:41 PM

???

I made the point that you wouldnt be embarrassed as, not being a GAA fan, I presumed you would care too much about who wins which GAA games.

Because, yet again, despite repeated requests from me and moderator intervention, you are 'outing' me as x, y or z. I am uncomfortable with the level of personalised attention I get from you on the forums and via PM. What was the last one, I'm a German?

Its gone beyond an irritant into sinister.

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on December 06, 2007, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on December 06, 2007, 02:23:41 PM

???

Because, yet again, despite repeated requests from me and moderator intervention, you are 'outing' me as x, y or z. I am uncomfortable with the level of personalised attention I get from you on the forums and via PM. What was the last one, I'm a German?

Its gone beyond an irritant into sinister.

Dublinfella, I made a simple statement about whether you would be fussed as to whether Ireland would win Olympic GAA or not, no more, no less.

I dont want to drag up arguments from over a month ago onto this thread.
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 06, 2007, 02:36:08 PM
Dublinfella, I made a simple statement about whether you would be fussed as to whether Ireland would win Olympic GAA or not, no more, no less.

but why bother? why hijack another thread in having a go at another poster? especially seeing as you claim to have been bullied here yourself.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: dublinfella on December 06, 2007, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on December 06, 2007, 02:36:08 PM

but why bother? why hijack another thread in having a go at another poster? especially seeing as you claim to have been bullied here yourself.

Because ur here on the wind-up, fairly obvious I would of thought, most of us can't be bothered and just ignore u!!!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...