Living Geniuses...

Started by 5 Sams, November 30, 2007, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

He was (just) before my time so I wouldn't offer any personal testimonials, but any Red over the age of 25 in Liverpool would go ballistic at the suggestion that Kenny Dalglish was anything other than a soccer genius. Even the Blues would raise their eyebrows.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 04, 2007, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 11:49:36 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 04, 2007, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 10:17:37 AM
Bob Dylan has to be included. The finest songwriter ever in many peoples opinion, including myself.

NOO, Chris Rea is miles better

I might start listening to Chris Rea when I am 40. It is sign of hitting midlife when you buy one of his CDs for the car.

I think you will find Dylan has never created anything to match the genius of 'Driving home for Christmas'

Well f**k that anyway!

You mean to tell me all me time has been wasted?

deiseach

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when the muse first moved Chris Rea to write Driving Home For Christmas

Bean Counter: "Chris, I'd suggest you get a reliable annual hit on the radio for your pension fund"
Chris Rea: "Hmm, let me think . . . Eureka!"

And the rest is artistic integrity

stew

Alex Ferguson.

Hateful hoor though he is what he has accomplished is astonishing and not even the great Robert Paisley comes close.

The man has won everywhere he has been and bringing Schmichel to OT for peanuts has to go down and one of the best signings of all time. Cantona was signed for a million and what a buy he turned out to be.

Jack O'Shea. The best all round player I ever saw. Pure genius.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

John Morrison. Say no more.

SeanSouth

Quote from: stew on December 04, 2007, 01:53:24 PM
Alex Ferguson.

Hateful hoor though he is what he has accomplished is astonishing and not even the great Robert Paisley comes close.

The man has won everywhere he has been and bringing Schmichel to OT for peanuts has to go down and one of the best signings of all time. Cantona was signed for a million and what a buy he turned out to be.

Paisley was a bit of a letdown alright, in 9 seasons as manager he had the following Ron Atkinson-esque record -

6 League Championships
3 European cups
1 Uefa Cup
3 League Cups

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 01:47:58 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 04, 2007, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 11:49:36 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 04, 2007, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 10:17:37 AM
Bob Dylan has to be included. The finest songwriter ever in many peoples opinion, including myself.

NOO, Chris Rea is miles better

I might start listening to Chris Rea when I am 40. It is sign of hitting midlife when you buy one of his CDs for the car.

I think you will find Dylan has never created anything to match the genius of 'Driving home for Christmas'

Well f**k that anyway!

You mean to tell me all me time has been wasted?

yes. bob packed it in when chris deburgh came on the scene anyway. said he couldn't handle the competition from the two chris'
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

imtommygunn

QuotePaisley was a bit of a letdown alright, in 9 seasons as manager he had the following Ron Atkinson-esque record -

6 League Championships
3 European cups
1 Uefa Cup
3 League Cups

It is alright Sean. Sure no FA Cups ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Alex Ferguson.

Ferguson won 9 league titles and 1 European Cup in 21 years at Man U.

Paisley won 6 league titles and 3 European Cups in 9 years at Liverpool.

And Paisley's not even close?

rosnarun

there is only one real Sporting genius and this is Cassius clay/Mohommed ALI he truly shook the world and his effect can still be felt in the confidence he gave to people of all colours.

in pure talent terms the only one who comes close is Diego
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stew

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 04, 2007, 02:03:06 PM
Alex Ferguson.

Paisley was a bit of a letdown alright, in 9 seasons as manager he had the following Ron Atkinson-esque record -

6 League Championships
3 European cups
1 Uefa Cup
3 League Cups

Paisley inherited a great team, ferguson forged great teams, therin lies the difference. I never said paisley was a letdown, I dont think he was half the manager Ferguson was, we will never know because Beefer Morrison could have managed that Liverpool team to greatness such was their dominance.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: rosnarun on December 04, 2007, 02:37:12 PM
there is only one real Sporting genius and this is Cassius clay/Mohommed ALI he truly shook the world and his effect can still be felt in the confidence he gave to people of all colours.

in pure talent terms the only one who comes close is Diego

Wayne Gretsky
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

deiseach

Quote from: stew on December 04, 2007, 02:43:52 PMPaisley inherited a great team, ferguson forged great teams, therin lies the difference. I never said paisley was a letdown, I dont think he was half the manager Ferguson was, we will never know because Beefer Morrison could have managed that Liverpool team to greatness such was their dominance.

What do figure 'dominance' to be? The Derby County team of the 70's won more league titles than Bill Shankly's 70's Liverpool team. It doesn't mean I think Paisley's achievements were greater than those of Ferguson, but no team ever dominated English soccer like Liverpool before Paisley, and despite the multiple successes of Madrid, Ajax and Bayern, only one manager has ever won three European Cups

stew

Quote from: deiseach on December 04, 2007, 03:02:16 PM
Quote from: stew on December 04, 2007, 02:43:52 PMPaisley inherited a great team, ferguson forged great teams, therin lies the difference. I never said paisley was a letdown, I dont think he was half the manager Ferguson was, we will never know because Beefer Morrison could have managed that Liverpool team to greatness such was their dominance.

What do figure 'dominance' to be? The Derby County team of the 70's won more league titles than Bill Shankly's 70's Liverpool team. It doesn't mean I think Paisley's achievements were greater than those of Ferguson, but no team ever dominated English soccer like Liverpool before Paisley, and despite the multiple successes of Madrid, Ajax and Bayern, only one manager has ever won three European Cups

Maybe so but again he didnt build that team, he was handed it and one number of men could have won with that team. Ferguson built his team, took them from mediocrity to now the most successful English team over the past twenty years.