Its Time to Say no to the GPA Deal

Started by Red Hand Luke, November 29, 2007, 06:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clubmember

Lads might be an idea to wait and see the exact workings before falling out over it :)

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: stephenite on November 30, 2007, 12:59:55 AM
Quote
Are the GAA paying the money? NO
[\quote]

You don't know that yet, do you? The statement released doesn't definitively say who will be paying the money. We know where the money is coming from but who is paying it out?

Conditions
1.   Funding for the above schemes will be provided annually through the Irish Sports Council to the GAA and the criteria and arrangements for their disbursement will be agreed by the GAA, the GPA and the ISC.
2.   These schemes will be additional to, and will not negatively impact on, existing funding or any future funding, provided by the Government to the GAA through the ISC.
3.   All parties recognise the amateur status of the GAA and nothing in this agreement will undermine that amateur status.


Now surely even you can understand the above comments??????

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: stephenite on November 30, 2007, 12:46:12 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 30, 2007, 12:35:51 AM
So calling me Dessie and saying you thought I would be more aggro?? or you and your ilk or grubby little gits.....are you saying they are polite points?????

What on earth has politness got to do with anything, words are used to get a point across and convey emotion. They are all used to be untruthful, or conniving which is what you attempted. But let's not get bogged down in that,


Quote
I would say it would get a reasonable level of support...yes...

I disagree.

Quote
Tiered grants were agreed within the GPA/GAA a long time ago....if you bothered to check up on that.....how does that possibly prove that they aren't interested in teh Mayo hurlers??? It actually puts in place procedures that the counties have to support all the panels rather than paying pure lipservice to the weaker sport in teh county....

I am aware that the tiered grants were mooted a long time ago - but now that this has been put in place in such an elitist fashion I believe that the inquity in this scenario is unworkable - a Mayo hurler puts in just as much effort as the Kerry footballer, why does he receive less? Is he less of an elite sportsman. It's Government money, there has to be a more equitbale way of distributing it.
I'm no lawyer (maybe BC1 can comment) but I'd be amazed if this was challenged and the outcome wasn't in favour of all players getting the same amount regardless of the teams progress

The GAA/GPA agreed tiered grants - so who can sue to change them???? They have agreed a tiered hurling/football championship as it is....
At athletic/boxing and all other areas grants are given they are not given on a same amount to every individual basis.
So is funding for all counties identical? Do the Mayo hurlers get the same funding from teh GAA as the Kerry footballers???

stephenite

Are you blind or just winding me up? How the monies are paid over has yet to be decided

stephenite

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 30, 2007, 01:11:01 AM
The GAA/GPA agreed tiered grants - so who can sue to change them????

Are you seriously suggesting that the GPA represent 100% of every inter county panel involved? This is patently untrue - so any non members of the GPA but members of the GAA could sue, I have no idea if they would have a viable case as I've pointed out - I suspect they might but I could be wrong

bennydorano

Quote from: give her dixie on November 29, 2007, 11:17:14 PM
The slippery slope has well and truely started.
Dessie and co. thanks for ruining our beautiful game.

Such ballix, Club football is the real GAA anyway, county football is a luxury, i'll survive quite easily without it. ::)

behind the wire

here here stephenite im with you on this one. tell dessie...sorry dubsforsam...what you think of him.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: stephenite on November 30, 2007, 01:13:02 AM
Are you blind or just winding me up? How the monies are paid over has yet to be decided

Was there not a formal proposal put forward by the GAA/GPA using the method of tiered payments?
The only issue was around who would distribute the money and that has now been solved.

Bensars

Looks like a done deal. Thought Nicky Brennan would have been stronger.

Suddenly the GPA members that were quick to run to the papers with their experiences of hard done by have gone to ground. Hope its not guilt. The GPA PR machine dubsforsam1 keeps on rolling.

Are you satisfied with what  you have  gained ?

Since you seem to have an inside track to the GPA  ::), is this the end of it ? Are there any more demands that havent been met by this agreement?



INDIANA

Dubsforum you are wrong on the paid administrators- funding in most cases is provided for these positions so that counties can run their affairs correctly and that has been the case for a while.

I can't see how you get a grant and the amateur status is unaffected. That simply depends on your interpretation. Our international athletes are in most cases professional in other words they don't have  a day job. The grant they receive is supposed to cover them. Now how can a GAA pl;ayer receive the same grant and be termed an amateur? Oh because the Irish Sports Council gives them the money? that is splitting hairs in fairness. You can't receive money for something ans still be termed an amateur. Who are they trying to kid?

believebelive

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 30, 2007, 12:27:53 AM
Believebelieve - so you are saying that in each of them votes every individual memeber of the GAA had a vote and the totals were combined???? That is different to being consulted.

No im not saying that and you know it - when did i say their totals were combined- think this through for a second - Cork have around five times (conservative estimation) the clubs that Leitrim have so by your logic they should have five times the say when it comes to congress - but that is not how it works and you know that.
The three incidences that i spoke about were opened to the grassroots members which meant that each club were instructed to debate the issue and come up with an opinion that reflected the majority of the members who attended their meeting - as a result at county board meetings club delegates went to the meeting and voted, not how they felt individually, but the way in which their club had voted - in turn this meant that those county delegates going to congress voted not how they wanted but how the majority of clubs in their county wanted. - its called democracy and every time the grass roots have been asked their opinion on major issues it has differed with the opinion of Croke Park Chiefs - Now, do you acept that!!!

full back

Was watching the news last night & some sports minister was on & he confused me slightly. He said the players arent getting this for nothing, that they will have to train harder & put something back into the community as well i.e coaching etc.
Now, I thought they were already doing so much that they needed reimbursed for their efforts - but surely this means they will have to do even more.  ???
What about their jobs etc?
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Red Hand Luke

Dear All,



After yesterday's announcement about pay-for-play in the GAA, a group of concerned GAA people are coming together as follows:



Wednesday 5 December



7.00pm



The Elk



(between Castledawson and Toome on the main Belfast/Derry road)





The aim is to hold an open meeting to see what the grass-roots view is about this absolutely seismic shift in GAA policy.



If you're concerned about this whole issue, please come along.



And it would be useful if you could circulate the content of this email to like-minded people.

cicfada

Peter canavan said on the Last Word last night that "it was a good start". So what's the finish then and how soon before the next strike threat comes?? It must be great to be in  minority that voted against the strike knowing that the majority vote for a strike  will get you money! ;)

pintsofguinness

#44
Quote from: SimpleSimon on November 29, 2007, 11:24:45 PM
As a GPA member, and hopeful recipiant of the new grant I am happy enough. Had it not been agreed I would have happy enough as long as it didn't interfere with me playing for my county next year. By the way before I get an ear-full I voted against strike but would have followed the majority vote!

This is the first time i've commented on the issue and lads, let me tell you, you's live in a wonderland and I wish I could operate in the purest world you think exists! I get grief in work for leaving to attend training weekends (out of my annual leave), specialist appointments with injury, coming in injured. Even though I had a very bad injury involving 3 bone breaks and only missed 1 day. So tell me that hasn't interfered with promotion etc and that's fair enough but I have been quite bluntly told otherwise!

But I don't care about the money I play for the love of the game and who/what I get the opportunity to represent. But it will be nice to get the grant as an added bonus!

Simplesimon, I'm sure happy enough at getting the grant, any of us would be happy at being handed a couple of thousand for doing the things we love, or profess to love.  It really is irrelevant for me that you voted against the strike, you were prepared to walk out on your county (my county) because of your greed.  I don't understand when you say you've gotten grief at work for taking your annual leave?
I have no sympathy with you when you say it's interfered with your promotion prospects, no one has ever made you play GAA.  That is your choice.  How many GAA players are in the jobs they are in and have gained promotions etc because they are intercounty players?
I assume you're on the Armagh panel - in the last number of years how would you say you've been treated, have you ever wanted for anything?  I would seriously doubt it.  We will be very lucky if you and the people like you have not destroyed our organisation, as an Armagh man I have no intention of ever showing my support for the likes of you again.  I don't know who you are or care but I'd be happier if you took yourself back to your work and gained that promotion and thank God Armagh weren't relying on the likes of you in the times when the players would be lucky if they'd a bus!

One last question, had you any trouble getting time off to go on the team holidays?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?