Info from my old PC

Started by illdecide, November 28, 2007, 11:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Lads can someone tell me what equipment i need to take data from my old PC (windows 98 2nd edition) and get it into my Laptop.

1. There is not a Re-writer drive on my old machine ( i tried dragging and dropping to a blank CD but it didn't work)
2. It will not accept my memory stick (i downloaded the drive for my memory stick of the internet and my PC will still not recognise it)
3. My Laptop does not have a Floppy drive so i can't transfer it that way either

Is there a way i can link my Laptop to my PC and transfer the data that way (some sort of cable). I have a load of personal photos of my daughter and family etc  and work related topics that i need.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Donagh

Quote from: illdecide on November 28, 2007, 11:16:58 AM
Lads can someone tell me what equipment i need to take data from my old PC (windows 98 2nd edition) and get it into my Laptop.

1. There is not a Re-writer drive on my old machine ( i tried dragging and dropping to a blank CD but it didn't work)
2. It will not accept my memory stick (i downloaded the drive for my memory stick of the internet and my PC will still not recognise it)
3. My Laptop does not have a Floppy drive so i can't transfer it that way either

Is there a way i can link my Laptop to my PC and transfer the data that way (some sort of cable). I have a load of personal photos of my daughter and family etc  and work related topics that i need.

You best bet is to persevere with the USB Flash drive (memory drive). You probably need a different diver to get it to work on your '98 machine. This one should do the trick: http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

If not you may just need to reassign some of the drive letters.

Snowed Under

I was going to say - or you could just zip everything up and email it to yourself.

amallon

If both your computers have network cards you could use a network cross over cable to network your two computers and copy your stuff across.  This is a little bit tricky if your not coming from a IT background.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Donagh

Quote from: Snowed Under on November 28, 2007, 11:27:35 AM
I was going to say - or you could just zip everything up and email it to yourself.

Would be excruciatingly slow.

AZOffaly

Have you access to an external hard drive? If so, you can connect the hard drive through USB and copy the info straight onto it. It will appear as a new drive.

Alternatively, does your work have 'shared' network drives? You could always use them as temporary holding areas.

If not, but you do have a network, you could put your laptop on the network, along with the old PC. Share the folder on the old PC and map to it on your Laptop. Then it's a simple copy and paste job.

Lastly, if your computer is banjaxed for some reason, you could get someone who knows what they are doing to remove the hard drive, put it into another computer and do any of the copying you want from there.

illdecide

Cheers Lads. the PC is just old (still works fine) and i'm gonna chuck it out but i wanted to take the info of it first b4 disposing of it.

I'll try a few of these when i get home from work.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mylestheslasher

If I were you I'd try and borrow a external hard drive (obviously a non usb one) and move all your stuff to it. 2nd choice would be to try a different usb key from a friend, especially an older one, which is more likely to work on your machine - you will find lots of people have these so that would be a good place to start.

Donagh

Quote from: illdecide on November 28, 2007, 12:21:26 PM
Cheers Lads. the PC is just old (still works fine) and i'm gonna chuck it out but i wanted to take the info of it first b4 disposing of it.

I'll try a few of these when i get home from work.

I have a wee yoke that attaches to your hard-drive and allows you to connect it to any other USB device (essentially converts to hard drive to an external hard-drive). If you don't have any joy with some of those I can drop it into you in Lurgan some evening or leave it with Feet in the club.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donagh

Quote from: Gnevin on November 28, 2007, 01:03:48 PM

Are plently of programs on the net that will erase a HDD for you , give it the once over with a big magnet if you want.

Just are just as many will recover it all as well. If you really want to dispose of the fecker, delete the partions, format, delete the partitions again and then take a 20lb persuader to it (forgetting about the nails).

Gnevin

Quote from: Donagh on November 28, 2007, 01:08:57 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 28, 2007, 01:03:48 PM

Are plently of programs on the net that will erase a HDD for you , give it the once over with a big magnet if you want.

Just are just as many will recover it all as well. If you really want to dispose of the fecker, delete the partions, format, delete the partitions again and then take a 20lb persuader to it (forgetting about the nails).
If you over right the data 7 times it's considered unrecoverable* these programs do it 7 + times , of course a hammer should also be a good safety .

*= MI5 and the like have some programs that can recover some after 7 times
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity