4 Nation "Celtic Cup" announced - starting in 2009

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 26, 2007, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

International football is dead, just look at the apathy towards this tournament. No one cares anymore, the players won't want to play, the fans won't want to travel, Sky will probably broadcast it as a filler so nobody will get to see it on TV either....
#newbridgeornowhere

nifan

QuoteInternational football is dead, just look at the apathy towards this tournament.

does apathy to the carling cup prove club football is dead - or even the fa vase or whatever?

Main Street

There is a huge difference between a friendly and a competitive international, same as a clubs pre season friendlies and league games.

red hander

'I assume the NI V ROI game would be played in Croker, would their be any trouble from the OWC crowd or just people out looking for trouble?'

There's no way the GAA should allow Croke Park to be used for any game against the statelet ...  such a game would be a recognition of partition and would be a huge insult to the nationalist people of the six counties

revsperminute

Tolka Park is plenty big enough to hold any notion of this Celtic Cup home games in Dublin.

SammyG

Quote from: red hander on November 27, 2007, 10:13:35 AM
'I assume the NI V ROI game would be played in Croker, would their be any trouble from the OWC crowd or just people out looking for trouble?'

There's no way the GAA should allow Croke Park to be used for any game against the statelet ...  such a game would be a recognition of partition and would be a huge insult to the nationalist people of the six counties
Is allowing the partitionist FAI, to play, not also a recognition of partition and a huge insult to the nationalist people of the six counties?

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on November 27, 2007, 10:21:36 AM

Is allowing the partitionist FAI, to play, not also a recognition of partition and a huge insult to the nationalist people of the six counties?

By that sentiment you must agree that the political partition of Ireland is a huge insult to the nationalist people of the six counties?
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 27, 2007, 10:24:29 AM

By that sentiment you must agree that the political partition of Ireland is a huge insult to the nationalist people of the six counties?
Err I was being sarcastic, sorry if it was bit too subtle.

Hardy

I don't know if anybody told you about the Good Friday Agreement. Were you hugely insulted by that as well?

Refusing to accommodate a soccer team just because they come from Northern Ireland (there - I said it) would be a huge propaganda coup for the GAA all right.

(Time check: at the beep, the time will be 2007 exactly. BEEP.)

red hander

'Err I was being sarcastic, sorry if it was bit too subtle.'

f**k me .... SammyG is William Shakespeare

red hander

'I don't know if anybody told you about the Good Friday Agreement. Were you hugely insulted by that as well?'

What has the Good Friday Agreement got to do with the GAA?  As far as I'm aware, the GAA wasn't a signatory to the Agreement.  By the GAA allowing the statelet to play at Croke Park it 1) recognises the legitimacy of the statelet 2) goes against its core principle of being an all-Ireland organisation that does not recognise the border

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on November 27, 2007, 10:25:56 AM
Quote from: his holiness nb on November 27, 2007, 10:24:29 AM

Err I was being sarcastic, sorry if it was bit too subtle.

Yes and I genuinely thought you disagreed with partition  ::)
See I can be sarcastic too  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Hardy

Quote from: red hander on November 27, 2007, 10:32:03 AM
'I don't know if anybody told you about the Good Friday Agreement. Were you hugely insulted by that as well?'

What has the Good Friday Agreement got to do with the GAA?  As far as I'm aware, the GAA wasn't a signatory to the Agreement.  By the GAA allowing the statelet to play at Croke Park it 1) recognises the legitimacy of the statelet 2) goes against its core principle of being an all-Ireland organisation that does not recognise the border

I'm not going there.

Except: I didn't say it had anything to do with the GAA. I was just wondering, if you're so easily insulted, how you viewed the GFA. After all, that wasn't just a sporting association "recognising partition", it was all the people of Ireland. Surely a much bigger "insult".

nifan

QuoteWhat has the Good Friday Agreement got to do with the GAA?

well apparently fifa have to be governed by it, so why not the gaa

Tyrone Dreamer