Online Shopping.....

Started by Shortso79, November 07, 2007, 07:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

These are all US sites that deliver to here.  With the Dollar at such a good rate at the minute it doesn't hurt to check about. $2.04 today for £1.  the only snag is you'll need to add roughly 30% for shippin, but with some of the deals on it can work out

Everything
eBay.com, Costco.com

DVDs/CDs
Deep Discount
Caiman
PlayUSA
Djangomusic
Deepdiscountdvd
DVD Price Search

Electricals/Gadgets
Glooks
Microcenter
ThinkGeek

Clothes
Gymboree
ShopBop, American Eagle
Rei, Cafe Press
Blaec, LLBean
Zazzle, Local Celebrity

Books
Powells

The States has its own shopbots and these will give you a good benchmark of the cheapest prices. Some of the best known include Pricecomparison.com, Aimlower and Smarter.com

Shortso79

Thanks el_cuervo_fc !

Thats some list !

Is there any customs when you buy from the good aul US ?

I live in the north and I bought this leathal Homer Simpson mask for about £20 Sterling - then when it arrived I got hit with some customs charge of £10.

Does this apply to the south too ??

PS The Mask was worth every penny - Won Best Dressed in the Bot 2002 !!

el_cuervo_fc

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document

this should give you an idea

you could also be charged VAT on items over £18, or £36 if its for a gift

If you're talking about Halloween in the Bot 2002, Did MrT not win it that night???? 

Stalin

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

pintsofguinness

Playusa doesn't charge for shipping - I use them quite a bit but they are a lot dearer than their English equivalent.
You won't find many bargins with them.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Shortso79

Sorry it was 2001 - I was loaded - won a crappy Hi-Fi !

Should have went to the Egg - the prize was a weekend away....

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Shortso79 on November 28, 2007, 09:57:38 PM
Sorry it was 2001 - I was loaded - won a crappy Hi-Fi !

Should have went to the Egg - the prize was a weekend away....

Ah but you just cant beat the Bot for Potential  ;)

ardal

What's the craic when buying electrical goods from the states, anything we should be aware of before buying them? eg digital cameras, metal detectors etc

Bensars

anything using batteries will be ok. Cameras, MP3's etc

Anything that requires charging or mains power ( TVs and stereos)  may cause you problems. From my experiences anything that requires the converter will work initially but over a period will burn out. Also factor in the duty and VAT and your usually paying similar to here

pintsofguinness

Are you buying a metal detector?

I've always wondered about them.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardal

Ahhh POG, the wee nephew back home wants one so I thought I'd get it from amazon and have them ship it over

go4goal

Other than el cuervo's list were else could you shop for clothes online for a nephew aged 18?  :-\

Denn Forever

Quote from: go4goal on March 13, 2010, 09:47:15 PM
Other than el cuervo's list were else could you shop for clothes online for a nephew aged 18?  :-\

Your best bet would be to buy a voucher online as unless you have impecable taste in clothes I would let the nephew pick out his own clothes. 

Ask the nephews parents where he normally buy his clothes and get a voucher from there.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

el_cuervo_fc

Maybe not that great for clothes but this site by Martin Lewis is very useful for DVDs, Cds, Books, etc

http://www.megashopbot.com/

go4goal