'Celtic Cup' could start in 08: SFA

Started by ziggysego, September 06, 2007, 11:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I would remind you that the attendance at the Ireland V Unionist 6 Counties team in 1999 in aid of the Omagh Fund  was 7,000, the lowest in Lansdowne ever for an international match.

These fixtures will be end of season affairs, with an Ireland squad minus its top players (much like the one that goes to the USA every summer), and used by the managers of Ireland and Scotland to have a look at fringe lads etc. In otherwords a total farce and about as competitive as the Masters Five a side. Why do you think Engalnd pulled out of the British and Irish Championship all those years ago? Also it will mean a Love Ulster like mob, complete with unionist versions of the Ulster Flag and Union Jack descending upon Dublin every two years. That will please the population of Ballsbridge no end

Jim_Murphy_74

The biggest danger is that elements of GAWA and TBFITW would undoubtedly let themselves down.  No doubt at the expense of the taxpayer too.

An acid test of how far we have all come, a test I fear we would fail.

/Jim.

SammyG

Cracking idea but (unfortunately) I can't see it ever coming to being. It's been discussed off and on for years and has never come to anything. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I won't be holding my breath.

Evil Genius

Posted by T. Fearon:
"I would remind you that the attendance at the Ireland V Unionist 6 Counties team in 1999 in aid of the Omagh Fund  was 7,000, the lowest in Lansdowne ever for an international match."

Care to remind us of the score in that one, eh, Tone? Anyway, the figure I have is 12,100, although this may be incorrect. Apparently, the attendance in Dublin was reduced since it clashed with the Scottish Cup Final between Rangers and Celtic. (Care to remind us about the score in that one, either?)

Posted by T. Fearon:
"These fixtures will be end of season affairs"
Scottish FA Spokesman:
"Friendly dates from FIFA are available in August, November and February, so those could be used"

Posted by T. Fearon:
"Also it will mean a Love Ulster like mob, complete with unionist versions of the Ulster Flag and Union Jack descending upon Dublin every two years. That will please the population of Ballsbridge no end"

If the tournament is only going to be held every other year and the format is not yet finalised, it's just as likely that the ROI will only be at home to NI every fourth year.

P.S. Who are these "Ireland" and "Unionist 6 Counties" teams you were referring to?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Chrisowc

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on September 06, 2007, 04:49:24 PM
The biggest danger is that elements of GAWA and TBFITW would undoubtedly let themselves down.  No doubt at the expense of the taxpayer too.

An acid test of how far we have all come, a test I fear we would fail.

/Jim.

I would be concerned with this too Jim.  It would only take a few idiots to spoil things for everybody.  Lets hope attitudes such as Fearon's are in the main a thing of the past and that this tournament could be a great success and good craic.  In my experience of travelling through Dublin airport for away games banter between both sets of fans is lighthearted and good natured.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2007, 02:09:14 PM
This Celtic cup is a farcical proposition. It will have no spectator appeal, outside possibly the Real Ireland V Scotland match (even though nearly 70,000 attended the recent Ireland V Wales game at Croker) and will die a quick death. The FAI should follow the highly successful policy of high profile friendlies which have seen both Brazil and Italy playing in Dublin in recent years

I agree with Tony on this one. How many more bloody international tournaments that mean f**k all to anyone except the associations who will try to raise money by selling tickets.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magickingdom

it will never happen, why would the roi want to play scotland/wales/ni and why would scotland/wales/ni want to play the roi? can you imagine wales v roi in a celtic cup? who would go?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

As someone who goes to Scotland home games (and away when I can afford to and the trip looks good :)) I cant say Im convinced about this. Non competitive international games are often pretty lifeless affairs and lets face it this competition would be little more than glamourised friendlies. I suppose though there is an argument that if youre going to play an international friendly youre as well playing a neighbouring nation with a wee bit of spice to the game rather than Hungary or something.

Ultimately though the only real bonus Id see in this tournament would be a decent excuse for a weekend away in the pubs of Belfast/Dublin/Cardiff.