'Celtic Cup' could start in 08: SFA

Started by ziggysego, September 06, 2007, 11:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

QuoteThursday, 6 September 2007 10:09

A Celtic Cup featuring the Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could start next year, according to Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith.

Representatives from the four national associations met this week to discuss the plan.

Smith claims there are 'positive vibes' from each nation and Scotland boss Alex McLeish has given his approval for the proposed tournament, which could take place in alternate years.

Smith told the Scottish Daily Mail: 'We had another meeting in Cardiff on Monday and are getting some answers on the issues surrounding a tournament like this, in terms of dates, sponsorship and TV.

'It could even start in 2008 or the year after at the latest - if we all reach agreement.'

The meeting failed to iron out whether the format will be a knockout competition or a league system.

'So there is debate taking place but there are positive vibes from the four countries involved,' Smith said.

'Friendly dates from FIFA are available in August, November and February, so those could be used.

'And it could be every two years to keep space for other friendlies.

'We are getting answers and we will meet again in a few weeks.'

Sourced RTÉ.ie: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/0906/celticcup.html

Testing Accessibility

Deal_Me_In

Not sure if this would work if like the group stages at the min 2 teams are drawn in the same group, would they really want to play a team 3 or 4 times with approx 18 months?

brokencrossbar1

I said about 2 years ago that this would happen.  I think it is a great idea and can only bring up the level of football in all countries involved.  From an Irish point of view it may be a worthwhile venture to pump money into developing centralised teams in the main cities.  Instead of having 4-5 teams in Dublin have 1-2 and pump money into them, same in Belfast.  Have the current teams like St Pats etc as feeder clubs to the bigger clubs.

An Lark

I could be taking you up wrong BC1 but this Celtic Cup is for the international teams (not the clubs).

brokencrossbar1

Whoops, only half read the post. :-[

I still think my idea of a Celtic Cup a la the the rugby one would be a good runner.

ziggysego

Quote from: An Lark on September 06, 2007, 01:20:08 PM
I could be taking you up wrong BC1 but this Celtic Cup is for the international teams (not the clubs).

You did take him up wrong. I remember BC1 saying something last year about having a Celtic Cup. If memory serves me correctly, he felt it would be a lot more benefitical to teams instead of reviving the Home Nations competition and getting RoI to join.
Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

Quote from: ziggysego on September 06, 2007, 01:28:57 PM
Quote from: An Lark on September 06, 2007, 01:20:08 PM

You did take him up wrong. I remember BC1 saying something last year about having a Celtic Cup. If memory serves me correctly, he felt it would be a lot more benefitical to teams instead of reviving the Home Nations competition and getting RoI to join.

England are above all that.  Well, they think they are.

Besides, I hope OWC don't play England for another 50 years ;D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

An Lark

Ziggy,

I merely pointed out to BC1 that the proposed Celtic Cup competition that your post refers to, is for International teams and not club teams.

ONeill

Everybody's taking everybody up the wrong way. Wouldn't like to be any of you.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

This Celtic cup is a farcical proposition. It will have no spectator appeal, outside possibly the Real Ireland V Scotland match (even though nearly 70,000 attended the recent Ireland V Wales game at Croker) and will die a quick death. The FAI should follow the highly successful policy of high profile friendlies which have seen both Brazil and Italy playing in Dublin in recent years

delboy

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2007, 02:09:14 PM
This Celtic cup is a farcical proposition. It will have no spectator appeal, outside possibly the Real Ireland V Scotland match (even though nearly 70,000 attended the recent Ireland V Wales game at Croker) and will die a quick death. The FAI should follow the highly successful policy of high profile friendlies which have seen both Brazil and Italy playing in Dublin in recent years

The celtic cup sounds like a great idea, surely semi-competetive matches will improve the teams more than meaningless friendlies with teams like brazil who will turn up for a match with anyone willing to pay enough.

The Real Laoislad

I like the idea..These high profile friendlies that Tony speaks of are a load of dung.If im not mistaken the Brazil game ended 0-0.I go to every home International and by jaysis some of the friendly matches i've had to endure have been dreadfull...China,Holland a half strength Sweden,Brazil etc
I think a competition like this would bring a crowd,I certainly rather see The Republic play Scotland,Wales and N.Ireland than watch another friendly against the likes of China etc
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2007, 02:09:14 PM

That's settled, then: Fearon's agin* it, so I'm all for it.

In fact, as an NI fan, I'm sure the Celtic Cup will sit nicely alongside our British Champions trophy... ;)

In any case, bring it on!

* - Does anyone think it might be the competition name he's objecting to? Or maybe that England won't be in it, for him to cheer when they came to Belfast to play against the land of his birth?  :o

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

magpie seanie

Tony says:

QuoteThis Celtic cup is a farcical proposition.

The case for the Celtic cup rests m'lud.

Donagh

Where does the FAI propose their home games will be held? I certainly wouldn't want that shower of tinkers I saw running about Belfast the other week anywhere near Croke Park.