Rugby world cup

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 26, 2007, 11:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

O'Driscoll injury scare for Irish 

Brian O'Driscoll was forced off during training in Bordeaux
Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll is an injury concern for the crunch World Cup clash with Argentina on Sunday.
The Leinster centre limped off during Monday's training session after taking a bang on his right knee.

Munster hooker Jerry Flannery is also a worry after suffering a neck injury in a heavy collision with Simon Best.

Fly-half Ronan O'Gara (calf) and full-back Girvan Dempsey (collarbone) sat out training with injuries picked up in Friday's 25-3 defeat by France.

Flannery was floored by the impact with Ulster hooker Best before returning to his feet several minutes later.

An ice pack was placed over his neck and he took no further part in the session in Bordeaux.

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan names his team for the Paris showdown with Argentina at lunchtime on Tuesday.

The Irish will have to score four tries and beat Argentina by more than seven points in their final match to reach the quarter-finals.

The defeat by France followed unconvincing wins over Namibia and Georgia in Pool D.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are probably fecked anyway, but if this is the case, then theres probably no chance !!

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Uladh

A much improved but still very poor showing on friday night. O'Sullivan plainly put the wrng team on the pitch and even more glaringly made no changes within a timeframe that could have an effect.

for example, when the lineout wasn't functioning, why was o'kelly not introduced. granted, he's not world class with the ball in hand but if we can't get any possession at line out time then noone is going to have the ball in hand! timble was out of his depth on the wing, but he's still better than duffy.  a major selection fcuk up. in trimble's defence, it is obviously a tactical policy for the blindside wing to come off his wing and into the defensive line and not a decision he made in real time. ireland have done this consistently and gotte away with it.

I'm not sure what should be done about d'arcy. i'm firmly of the opinion that he's a class act out of form. we badly need him to hit his straps pronto. the problem is, the last time i saw him in this sort of dip was on the lions trip to new zeland and he never came out of it during that tour. maybe its best to leave him on the bench. The back row have been shocking in this tournament and personly i'd love to see a back row now that has heaslip and jennings.

i agree with dinny. there's nothing to lose and a team must be selected which shows intent to take the argentinians on and have a go. i don't agree with dropping o'gara however asthere is no alternative. wallace just isn't good enough. i'd go with

15. Dempsey
14. Carney
13. Horgan
12. O'Driscoll
11. Hickie
10. ROG
9. Reddan
8. Easterby
7. Quinlan
6. Best
5. O'Kelly
4. POC
3. Horan
2. Flannery
1. Hayes

that gives us the impetus of murphy, d'arcy, trimble, o'callaghan and wallace off the bench at the right times. much as i'd like to agre with starting murphy at 15, the argies will send up a lot of bombs early on and dempsey is the right man to deal with. if w can get ahead, a final 30 minute onslought after emptying that bench to cut loose could get the job done.

I thought the bull had an outstanding game on friday night by the way.

AZOffaly

Jaysus Dinny,

I just saw you put Quinlan on the team? Has it come to that? For my money Quinlan and Best may be exactly what that back row needs, a bit of fire in the bellies and a lunatic edge, but I never thought I'd see the day where you'd agree :D

It's quite depressing really when you think of it, but sure lookit, remember the Gloucester game at Thomond Park. If the Argies pick Henry Paul at full back we are grand.

Teeling Gael

Everyone seems to be forgetting Stephen Ferris in backrow as an option. In this kind of game , I'd have him ahead of Neil Best where we have to be creative with ball. My backrow would be 6. Easterby . 7. Quinlan and 8. Ferris with Wallace on the bench. With POC and MOK as 2nd rows along with Quinlan and easterby ay least we should be guaranteed line out ball.

whilst all the media are congratulating themselves over how they all knew Trimble was better than Hickie , I dont hear too many admitting than on Fridays performance R Best is now a better hooker than Flannery. Flannerys linout throwing was a passable impression of Steve Thompson  on Friday night.

stephenite

What time team due to be announced ?

passedit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/irish/7012164.stm
Murphy in for the injured Dempsey
Geordan Murphy
Geordan Murphy comes in for his first World Cup start
Argentina v Ireland
Parc des Princes
Sunday, 30 September
Kick-off: 1600 BST
Live coverage on BBC Radio 5live, Radio Ulster MW & the BBC Sport website

Injured full-back Girvan Dempsey is out of Ireland's crunch game with Argentina on Sunday with Geordan Murphy called-up for his first World Cup start.

Coach Eddie O'Sullivan has not panicked into making a raft of changes although he brings in Denis Hickie for Andrew Trimble on the left wing.

O'Sullivan has not tinkered with the pack but there is a worry over the injury to Jerry Flannery's shoulder.

Rory Best, however, could be forced into a quicker than expected return.

Best fractured his thumb against Georgia and was expected to be ruled out of the remaining Pool D games.

However, the Ulster hooker could be called upon if Flannery's injury does not fully recover.

Dempsey received his injury during the defeat by France last Friday, and was ruled out on Monday evening.

It gives the unlucky Murphy a chance to show his potency on the world stage.

His only other appearance during this World Cup was a 30-second cameo in Ireland's Lethargic win over Namibia.

He was controversially dropped from the 22-man squad for the French game with Gavin Duffy brought onto the bench. Duffy now makes way for Trimble who can cover centre and wing.

This could well be Hickie's final international game as he is due to retire following the World Cup.

Ireland need to score four or more tries against Argentina and defeat them by more than seven points to go through to the quarter-final stage.

Argentina have so far not had their line crossed during the present campaign and officially have the most miserly defence in the tournament.

Ireland: Murphy; Horgan, O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Hickie; O'Gara, Reddan; Horan, A N Other, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Easterby, D. Wallace, Leamy.
Replacements: A N Other, S Best, O'Kelly, N Best, Boss, P Wallace, A Trimble.
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

QuoteJaysus Dinny,

I just saw you put Quinlan on the team? Has it come to that? For my money Quinlan and Best may be exactly what that back row needs, a bit of fire in the bellies and a lunatic edge, but I never thought I'd see the day where you'd agree

Ah AZ, I'm not blinkered I know Quinlans strengths, I just think his weaknesses out weight them but we had nothing to lose and his aggressive in your face attitude is the right way to play the Argies, not that it matters after that team selection, unbeliveable..

#newbridgeornowhere

Uladh

IRFU must be delighted with the return on their investment in carney.

Ain't too many impact subs on that bench.

great to see eddie throwing caution to the wind  :-\

i wonder what team he'd pick if he had to get out of the group to save his job?

passedit

Looks like Flannery's carrying the can for the lineout debacle. I'd say they're waiting on Best's fitness not his.

Don't Panic

AZOffaly

That's a bit unreal alright. I think Eddie is pinning all his hopes that his nominal best XVwill somehow find the spark, but I can't see it happening. To leave the lads we've been talking about off the bench as well is just crazy in my opinion.

As for the people being hard on Flannery, I think the problem there is that he has simply not had game time, and our lineout movement is very static at the moment. Flannery is good in the loose, and is a good lineout thrower, but that area is one where you need constant repitition, and it's no surprise to me that he's a bit wild at the moment, seeing as how he's been second choice for a good while, which I feel is wrong. Ironically the Irish scrum, seen as Rory's forte, was grand on Friday, apart from one 8 v 7 shove.

I'd still have Flannery ahead of Best, based on impact with the ball, and balancing out the set pieces. But I don't know that I would pick him now, because I'd prefer a hooker that is used to the lineout at the moment, and Best is that man.

Sad to say it, but I'm nearly hoping the Munster contingent just escape this mess without any more damage to morale/confidence or body. Obviously I hope Ireland can pull it off, but I can't see it, so on the basis that they won't, I hope the Munster lads come home in a fit state physically and mentally, to put up a big season in the red.

passedit

Don't Panic

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2007, 12:07:27 PM
That's a bit unreal alright. I think Eddie is pinning all his hopes that his nominal best XVwill somehow find the spark, but I can't see it happening. To leave the lads we've been talking about off the bench as well is just crazy in my opinion.

He's been doing that for 2 years but everyone seemed to be happy under achieving in the six nations as our focus was on the world cup
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

FermGael

Lads was just wondering what anybody thought about a bet with the England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales not to qulaify for the quarters.  I heard odds last night of about 150/1.  Would this be a good bet??  Anybody any way of getting a confirmed price for this??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

full back

Quote from: FermGael on September 25, 2007, 01:01:11 PM
Lads was just wondering what anybody thought about a bet with the England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales not to qulaify for the quarters.  I heard odds last night of about 150/1.  Would this be a good bet??  Anybody any way of getting a confirmed price for this??

No teams to qualify for quarter finals  200/1   
1 Team to qualify for the quarter finals  12/1   
2 Teams to qualify for the quarter finals  11/8   
3 Teams to qualify for the quarter finals  5/6   
4 Teams to qualify for the quarter finals  9/1

Odds from Ladbrokes
Wouldnt fancy your chances fermgael :-\

ludermor

i see hickie and murphy are in, in place of trimble and dempsey (inj). Pack stays the same with hooker been left open to see if best and flannery recovers