Tommy Murphy Cup - Conclusion

Started by Denn Forever, August 04, 2007, 01:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Not finished yet but was the game as exciting as the radio commentry suggested.  Was it good football?

The co-commentating by Sean Boylan was a hoot.  Great delight without excessive criticing.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mc_grens

Dont Matter

The standard isin't great but it's tight and exciting.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

paddypastit

Classic case of the ref giving a team that was a point down the chance to get a draw... and  then getting caught out when they get the goal and there is no way that he can play on as he was already 50 sec over the 'at least one minute extra' which in itself was hard to justify.

If ever there was a basis for a hooter system that takes the call on time out of the hand of the ref...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

clarshack

antrim were robbed. the wicklow kickout that led to the goal was collected by the wicklow player inside his own 21 yard line which is a foul. the ref let it go as he was giving wicklow one last chance of getting a draw. i guess he didnt expect wicklow to score a goal. wouldnt have blamed mcgourty if he had have decked the referee at the end.

bigballman

Totally agree that Sean Boylan's commentary on the radio was fantastic. I was driving from galway to Dublin and didn't expect the game to be on the radio. Really good decision by RTE to put it on medium wave and it was so exciting I couldn't switch it off.
It made great radio and it was some finish. When Gill got the goal, you could hear Boylan screaming "'yes". He gave very humorous contributions.
I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights tonight.

Hound

wicklow deserved their goal and their win. If Antrim had two men back making the two forwards, they probably would have cleared it, then they would have deserved the win. I thought Wicklow were the better team over the 90 mins

ExiledGael

Cracking game, flicked over to it and couldn't leave it, McGourty is going to be a hell of a player in a few years, already is.
Well done to jody Gormley for keeping the players together and focused, this will help them imeasurably when preparations begin for next year.
Overall great advert for the competition, do think there's merit in the idea, and will always remember the beaming Declan Browne lifting a trophy in Croke Park

mournerambler

Quote from: clarshack on August 05, 2007, 01:56:17 PM
antrim were robbed. the wicklow kickout that led to the goal was collected by the wicklow player inside his own 21 yard line which is a foul. the ref let it go as he was giving wicklow one last chance of getting a draw. i guess he didnt expect wicklow to score a goal. wouldnt have blamed mcgourty if he had have decked the referee at the end.
Both the GAA & this board could do without assholes like CLARSHACK encouraging loutish behaviour in our games,the sooner landsdowne road is rebuilt the better.

clarshack

i've never been to a soccer game never mind landsdowne road. where you at the match? at the final whistle mcgourty ran towards the referee and i thought he was going to deck him as wicklow had cheated to win the game. maybe the rules were changed on friday night where you can collect a kickout inside your own 21?

screenexile

Also the ball was picked clean off theground for the goal but then sometimes luck just isn't with you.

imtommygunn

A few perhaps dubious things went against Antrim with referees decisions at the end.

Who the hell was marking the guy who was clean free in front of goals though?? That's what killed us not decisions.

We still did ourselves proud. Took some fine scores and to be honest looked as good as a lot of what was on view in the next match. Much promise shown and we can't go blaming referees or pin pointing individuals. Once we got our subs made and got the team stabilised (from about half way through the second half) we controlled a lot of that game and it should have been well away from Wicklow in extra time. Wicklow aren't bad though and at times looked like they'd steam roll us. They've some good footballers in the Carlow man, the number 7 and the number 14.

I hope in the future we don't play with so big a gap between the half forward line and the full forward line though!

Great Leap Forward

If Antrim had started with the team that finished they probably would have won the game. I know Jody wanted to stick by most of the players who had been there all year and you can't fault him for that. Hopefully all the players will make themselves available full-time next year.