Croke Park Admin Take Swipe at Touts.

Started by Bud Wiser, July 27, 2007, 10:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I remember when this board started and every week we would have a gripe about Croke Park for one reason or another. I am talking about the stadium in general and not G.A.C. etc. They seem to be doing everything right at the moment, their decision to postpone the games last Sunday because of the McGarry family tragedy being one example. Their latest imposition of how they want things done has come in the form of a letter written to every Premium Seat holder thanking them for their support in making the completion of the stadium possible.  Then comes the good bit. You are reminded that you have enterd a contract that can be revoked immediately if:

You sell your Premium Tickets to anyone.

If you Auction your tickets at any event.

If you allow your tickets to become sold by a third party.

It goes on to explain in no uncertain terms that if your tickets are seen "for sale" that you have broken your contract. It will be interesting to see how many appear on Ebay this year?  Was there not somedody on a few weeks ago selling ten Premium Seats on this DB.  I have logged on to www.needaticket.ie and registered to have any seats available notified to me - no answer.

This is great news and with the new scanning system anyone buying a ticket on Ebay could end up with a worthless piece of paper if our friends in Jone's Road can get on there and clarify the seat number.

As one who has never sold, or ever will sell, a ticket other than to give it away to a genuine GAA supporter I am not sure about the "raffle" and "auction" bit.  I understand where they are coming from in that a tout could end up winning them. However, I have auctioned tickets on two occasions, once in City West at a Charity do for a good family and same at Ballyboden. I see no harm in a raffle that is strictly between Club Members or for charity once it is clearly stipulated that the winner understands the conditions under which they are handed over.  However, if those rules are needed to stop the leeches who got seats for the purpose of making money out of them then so be it.

Star Spangler

This is a problem I wouldn't mind having.  I've been on the waiting list for Premium tickets for over 4 years now.

snatter

If they could put pressure on ebay to stop selling them, that would be a start.

I wrote a flurry of emails to an executive in ebay's london hq a few years ago.

I explained that under the current terms and conditions, ownership of the ticket could only be transferred with the prior consent of the GAA.

Without that, I argued, the ticket wasn't actually a valid ticket, and couldn't be marketed as such on ebay.

I reported hunderds of AI ticket sales to ebay as being in breach of their terms, given that they couldn't be sold as tickets to the AIF's unless they had accompanying consent from the GAA.

Their eventual stock repsonse was that as far as they were concerned, ebay was doing nothing illegal. They said that any issues over legitimacy of the tickets was between buyer and seller. I argued that the gAA will not santion the resale of any tickets, so the approval couldn't possibly exist for tickets listed on tehir site, but they refused to answer that point.

I also requested them to remove the trademarked official gaa logo (the modern one) from their site as they were displaying it wiythout the official consent of the trademark holder. They ignored this request.

Imho, we've two options here - appeal to ebays sense of right and wrong - probably sweet fa chance of success given their reply to me.

Two - get legislation passed to make it illegal for AIF tickets being sold without GAA consent. Equivalent legislation has worked in the UK , stopping ebay from selling premiership tickets.

Deal_Me_In

I have a senario whereby my uncle has a premium ticket but has little/no interest in the hurling final. He is friends with a man in Cork who is big into the hurling so he swaps his hurling ticket for a football ticket (then normally gives it to one of his sons). Although the person is not the premium seat holder the tickets have been passed by mutual consent, dos this constitute touting?

snatter

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on July 27, 2007, 11:13:38 AM
I have a senario whereby my uncle has a premium ticket but has little/no interest in the hurling final. He is friends with a man in Cork who is big into the hurling so he swaps his hurling ticket for a football ticket (then normally gives it to one of his sons). Although the person is not the premium seat holder the tickets have been passed by mutual consent, dos this constitute touting?

Nope,

you're not touting unless

1. You sell your Premium Tickets to anyone.

2. If you Auction your tickets at any event.

3. If you allow your tickets to become sold by a third party.

As long as the swapee doesn't flog them, you're ok.

Bogball XV

what's wrong with selling them to help cover the cost to you?  Say, you pay, what 10K for a ten year ticket, you want it for a number of games, but don't want to see the Dubs play, so your Dub mate gives you €30 a game for Dubs matches and so on - I don't see a problem there at all.

rrhf

But why should you offset your costs.  The tickets were designed to make a contributory donation above normal market value towards the new stadium costs.  If people are offsetting (understandable) then they shoulnt have bought in the first place.  I similarly star spangler am nearly 5 years on a waiting list for 2.  Why dont people who dont want the fuckin tickets 100% just give other a chance to buy them use them and contribute.

paddypastit

rrhf - I presume then that you, if you get a ticket will attend every game personally for the ten years?? 100% as you say yuorself
People in glass houses...

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

rrhf

If I ever get my hands on one I  would never offset the cost of my donation against the market value of the "on the day ticket."  The ticket is the donors to give freely if they wish or can not attend but to someone they trust and I believe they have a responsibility to make sure it never gets sold.  I would have no problem giving my tickets to friends from other counties if I cant attend myself.  I dont see it as an investment more a donation, which you get rewarded for with the nice bars etc.   

Tyrone Dreamer

I think its fair enough if someone sell's there ticket at a reasonable and fair price if theyre not attending a game. Your talking a considerable amount of money and some people may just about be able to afford it and the monye back from the sales may allow them to justify getting it. Its ok for the rich lads to talk about giving them away, but by off setting a small amount of the cost more people might be able to afford the tickets.

rrhf

not a bother in my book with the GAA you are either a giver or a receiver.  This muddies the waters so im out!

Tyrone Dreamer

Your receiving great tickets so its not just about giving! Its easier for someone with plenty of money to buy the tickets and wont be as much a sacrifice. Id like to see as many people as possible be able to get the best tickets and not just the rich. Up Robin Hood.

rrhf

Why do you think the GAA dont sell them as half tickets Tyrone dreamer.  Before you answer I must warn you. Im like a cat with a rat when it comes to tickets. 

Tyrone Dreamer

If you mean for 2 people to share the tickets rrhf eg one person for football and one hurling then the reason Id guess is it would be no benefit financially and  would entail extra operating costs etc. I suppose they could charge more for each though. You tell me.

orangeman

Sounds like "that" time of year again !!!!