Are RTE hurling snobs ignoring football yet again, please say no

Started by fer fox ache, July 25, 2007, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

once the football gets interesting i am sure there will be more shown but the hurling championship in whole has been one of the best for years. the hurling games this weekend should be cracking. if you wanna see shite football matches, watch the bbc's coverage, they show no hurling.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Bogball XV

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on July 25, 2007, 10:31:03 PM
Ye are on about qualifiers, the hurling matchs on the weekend are knock out, Galway v Kilkenny in 2005 was one of the best games ever, ok Tip v Wexford May not be a glamour clash, but its more than likely going to be better than a football match.
To me football nearly always looks the same anymore apart from a few teams that play it long.

There are only a few hurling teams and they all bring there individual style to the table. Which is why its so good to watch.
Clare - hitting hard and grafting.
Kilkenny - superb skill and work rate.
Cork - short passing, possession game.
Limerick - real passion for the game when they try.
Galway - skilful fast play, well maybe when they get going this year.
Tip - with babs at the helm a Tip team will always be entertaining.
Waterford - Good open style of play with classy forwards.
Wexford - always good for a laugh.

For about the 20th time - i know that these are first round hurling games and will be shown, I have no problem with that, my point is that the hurling qualifiers which we've see this year have been dire.  As for all the different styles, same with the football.
Personally re hurling, I find Cork, Clare, Limerick very boring to watch.  Kilkenny are always worth tuning into, Waterford and Galway too are normally worth a watching, Tipp - sure who knows, but the Maestro on form is hard to beat, Wexford, God love them, tis a pity quarters need 8 teams and there are only 7 in the country, although that's maybe being generous to Clare?

neilthemac

play both

but find watching hurling on tv much better.

football games can be infuriating to watch due to some of the basic skills of even the top teams not being very good - ie kicking and point scoring

Rua Gael

tayto

All you lads wishing for setanta to get rights mustn't watch setanta very often.

The commentator often sounds bored rigid and they make Ger and marty seem knowledgeable at times.

fer fox ache

I never said the Derry game should be on on Saturday night, It's the Donegal Monaghan tie which should given live coverage, this is not a case of wanting to see my own team on the television week in week out. The point is that there have been four weekend of football qualifiers and only one of these has there been live coverage of any of the games. Contrast to hurling where every pull of the hurl seems to be covered.

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on July 26, 2007, 03:45:49 AM
Totally ignorant!
As Rua Gael(who earlier retracted a post from the 'Derry Hurling & Football' thread ;)) said, I would watch either of the two.
All Ireland quarter finals are being played. Important?
Maybe not for "For fcuk sake" or "Ballbag XV" but there are people in the country that have an interest in these games.
Are you really saying that these people do not have the right to see them? What gave you the authority?
Cork vs Tipperary, no matter of importance was a great game that I could watch over and over again.
Now Kerry vs Waterford (to name one), come on. What to buck was that all about?
Some games in both codes turn out to be damp squibs but RTE should have seen that one coming.
I would recommend trying to enjoy hurling rather than sitting there with your blinkers on saying "Why aren't Derry/Tyrone on every week?"

It may have been on the "Derry Football & Hurling" thread incase anyone is offended. ::)

Okay, a little advice, go back and read what we've written instead of starting off on an unrelated diatribe. 

nrico2006

QuoteI never said the Derry game should be on on Saturday night, It's the Donegal Monaghan tie which should given live coverage, this is not a case of wanting to see my own team on the television week in week out. The point is that there have been four weekend of football qualifiers and only one of these has there been live coverage of any of the games. Contrast to hurling where every pull of the hurl seems to be covered.

I play hurling and love playing the game moreso than football, but when it comes to watching games on TV the football is usually my preferred choice.  Someone mentioned this is the quarters of the All Ireland Hurling Champ, but as everybody knows this is practically like the opening round of championship football.  I'm from neither Donegal or Monaghan, but would loved to watch this game on Saturday night, as opposed to Killkenny beating Galway! 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

caismirt

Quote from: fer fox ache on July 25, 2007, 02:22:02 PM
Please somebody tell me that RTE are going to show one of the football games on Saturday on their website it's only stating that the hurling will be on.
If it's only the hurling again then I will be completely pissed off. Take a look at the facts, half the country don't even play hurling yet every time there's football or hurling call to be made it's the small ball game that gets the coverage. Truth is I've never played hurling, don't have hurling club within 10 miles of me and while I'd like to see waterford win it couldn't really give a toss who lifts the Liam McCarthy Cup.
On the other hand I love football yet coverage of the qualifiers has been scant even though the games are do or die unlike some of the hurling non-events we've been shown.
I'm totally fed up with the hurling snobbery that prevails. I reckon that the most exciting game in either code on Saturday will be Donegal v Monagha but we'll probably have to make do with 10 minutes of highlights on the Sunday Game. The sooner Setanta secure more of the rights to the football the better as far as I'm concerned

1/4 final > qualifer

They were 2 great games today.

caismirt

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on July 25, 2007, 05:58:44 PM
Lads we all know hurling is a far better game to watch.
Football these days is the same boring hand passing, kicking the s@~t out of each other and very little scoring.
Now do not get me wrong, the footballers are fitter than the hurlers but the game as a whole is not good to watch.
That's why hurling is on ahead of football most of the time.

The footballers are fitter ? How do you figure that ?

I'm a mainly football man myself but i know loads of huring guys who are FAR fitter then their football counterparts and i know a lot of them who play football as well as hurling simply for the sole purpose of staying fit.

I'd really like to see what you base that comment on. If your talking about the weaker counties then yeah of course, but if your talking about the big 3 and any more of the top teams then your dead wrong.

Jinxy

Quote from: caismirt on July 28, 2007, 05:41:25 PM
Quote from: fer fox ache on July 25, 2007, 02:22:02 PM
Please somebody tell me that RTE are going to show one of the football games on Saturday on their website it's only stating that the hurling will be on.
If it's only the hurling again then I will be completely pissed off. Take a look at the facts, half the country don't even play hurling yet every time there's football or hurling call to be made it's the small ball game that gets the coverage. Truth is I've never played hurling, don't have hurling club within 10 miles of me and while I'd like to see waterford win it couldn't really give a toss who lifts the Liam McCarthy Cup.
On the other hand I love football yet coverage of the qualifiers has been scant even though the games are do or die unlike some of the hurling non-events we've been shown.
I'm totally fed up with the hurling snobbery that prevails. I reckon that the most exciting game in either code on Saturday will be Donegal v Monagha but we'll probably have to make do with 10 minutes of highlights on the Sunday Game. The sooner Setanta secure more of the rights to the football the better as far as I'm concerned

1/4 final > qualifer

They were 2 great games today.

Steady on. One good game, one very mediocre game. Wexford/Tipp was just wide after wide after wide. Mind numbing stuff until the last 10 minutes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.