Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Did Brian Mc G see that article by J O'C orangeman?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2007, 03:44:35 PM
Did Brian Mc G see that article by J O'C orangeman?

FASB - I would doubt Brian saw the article (assume you are talking about the one posted on the MH thread referring to Brian as the spider in Tyrones web). As far as I know Brian still is (and has been for over 2 weeks) lying face down inorder to ensure his retina heals properly so its unlikely he would have been in much form for it. He really has had a terrible time of it and I sincerely hope things soon start to look up for him, he deserves a break.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thanks LL. Any chance of anyone reading it out for him would you say, might give him a bit of a boost, and heaven knows he needs and deserves it.

orangeman

Hopefully he has seen it or at least heard about it - it was a great article.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2007, 04:26:39 PM
Thanks LL. Any chance of anyone reading it out for him would you say, might give him a bit of a boost, and heaven knows he needs and deserves it.

I get where you are coming from but its a delicate situation at the moment, the football is very far removed from his mind at present and he might not be in form for too much.  

nrico2006

On Brian McGuigan, after the match last weekend all you hear is how we would be flying if we had him back with a few others.  Thats true, but whats it to us really.  We just want to see our team win, but its all put in perspective when you really think about the torment BMG has been through.  I have had a few minor injuries in my career(hamstring only) and its so frustrating from a playing point of view being out - lose fitness, sharpness and gain weight.  Imagine how damaging mentally it has been for Brian, seriously bad break of the leg - year of recovery and hard work with the intent of getting back to playing.  Then the eye injury, having to endure op after op and lay on his side for weeks at a time.  Horrendous situation really, and it wouldn't surprise me if BMG has lost his appetitie to come back.  I'm sure he will just be glad to go to work each day and have a decent life again!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

neutral

well said.  Its only a game lost.  Your healths your wealth. 

orangeman

He's a great lad and when he had the leg break he was very determined to get back - hopefully if he regains full vision and all is well with his eye, he'll be able to do what he chooses. I take your point about the frustration. It must be hell just sitting in the house all the time - But I know he gets good support from team mates and supporters.

Fear ón Srath Bán

No question, his return to full health is all that matters at this juncture. A game's only a game, but your health is your whole life.

Star Spangler

longball

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 09, 2007, 05:06:37 PM
Agreed, now let this thread die!!

no dont let this thread die Tyrone people need this
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

armawman

Orangeman said: "Did anybody read the suggestion in the papers yesterday about the proposed new format for the football championship ? It proposed giving the provincial winners another chance if they're beat in the quarter final - Like this year, the four provincial winners would play each other - the winners go straight into the semi finals and the losers would get another game against the qualifier winners to progress to the semis ? What do you think ?"

This is an excellent idea. It would be much fairer for two reasons: Firstly the provincial winners would get another chance and secondly only two teams would come through from the qualifier side of the draw.

The way it is at present, with four teams coming through from the qualifiers, there is too much advantage for teams who are in the qualifier side. With this system as suggested, the advantage would swing back to the provincial winners and would make winning your province more desirable. By allowing four teams through from the qualifier side, things are made too easy at present for teams in the back door.

No team should have to play on consecutive weeks. This idea of playing one match in each province per week is the root of the whole problem. In Ulster, for example, they should play at least two games in the championship each Sunday and the whole provincial championships would be run off much quicker. This would free up more time to avoid the pile - up in fixtures which comes later in the summer.   

The Provincial championships should be run off much quicker, so that there's a lot more free Sundays so that no team ends up playing on consecutive weeks.

Rossfan

What if a Provincial Champion goes all the way to the All Ireland Final unbeaten and then lose the Final? Do they get a replay on the basis that "every other team got a second chance"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's a better idea in that the provincial champions will be on the same relative plain of readiness, fitness, etc. as each other, whereas the qualifiers will have had the benefit of a run of games to bring them up to perhaps a more finely tuned level. And with the prov champions having faced each other they will have had that game extra to acclimatise themselves for the qualifier that they'll face.

Re a second chance and the final -- the line must be drawn somewhere.

orangeman

I expect this proposal to get a lot of support in the coming months.