Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2007, 09:21:01 PM
It's a better idea in that the provincial champions will be on the same relative plain of readiness, fitness, etc. as each other, whereas the qualifiers will have had the benefit of a run of games to bring them up to perhaps a more finely tuned level. And with the prov champions having faced each other they will have had that game extra to acclimatise themselves for the qualifier that they'll face.

Re a second chance and the final -- the line must be drawn somewhere.

I think it is a good proposal and should give some support to the provincial championships ,As a Kerry man I may well be wishing that this was in place for 07 after Sunday

rrhf

I think this is getting rediculous.  The second chance saloon cannont be increased it has more pros than cons but I believe that it is now time to merge the league and championship in a championsleague format whereby the boundaries (opendraw) are redrawn at the end of the round robin you qualify for Tommy Murphy or Sam.  After a further round robin we have semis and finals for each competition - should pretty much guarantee plenty of hq football with multiple chances and high profile games.  Adn also leave the season more manageable.  What other sport in the world plays the league and championship on 2 different timetables.  Clubs need to be brought back in from the cold and the shortening of the intercounty season is the only way.

magpie seanie

QuoteClubs need to be brought back in from the cold and the shortening of the intercounty season is the only way.

100% correct.

orangeman

In soccer, the biggest prize is winning the league whereas in Gaelic the biggest prize is winning their equivalent of the FA Cup - nobody really cares about who wins the FA Cup - same with the national league - the winning of the national league is not really a great accolade . So if we had league basis, yes it would guarantee a long run and high profile football, but there's still something very exciting about the present format. Could the two be combined successfully ? I don't know - but it's maybe worth a try - then the whole argument about second chances and back door stuff could be done away with.

rrhf

orangeman, Im more of a traditionalist than most would think, I would love either fully knock out football run through the middle of the league with no Club football in the background or the combination of the 2.  the key here is that their must be a fully closed season for the club football to flourish and intercounty interference in club affairs is simply not permitted in the future.  Why should the few (albeit the lucrative few gaa games) ruin the gaa season for the many. In GAA we say there is no difference between the 5/8 doing playing reserves and the intercounty man.  The intercounty season has become a behemoth and has cost us our priorities and direction. 

DUBSFORSAM1

Well the simple solution is to continue to play club games during the summer....It is the county boards/manager who don't let the players play...

orangeman

What's the ideal solution then ? Remember the GAA hierarchy will want the summer for their use because attendances are potentially the best in the summer - I don't want to be cynical or anything but money MIGHT be a small consideration !!!