Christy Ring Cup 2007

Started by Lecale2, June 27, 2007, 03:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitehair

Down v Mayo

Down have made two changes for Saturday's Christy Ring Cup clash with Mayo at Ballycran (1300 BST).
Simon Wilson takes over from Emmett Trainor in attack with Patrick Coulter switching to the right corner and Wilson coming in at left half-forward.

Ruairi McGrattan replaces Jerome Trainor in defence, starting at left half-back and Michael Ennis switching to right half-back.

The throw-in time has been moved forward two hours to 1300.

Down started the competition as favourites but lost 2-13 to 1-15 to Westmeath in last weekend's opener.

Down: Graham Clarke, L Clarke, S Murray, F Conway, M Ennis, P Hughes, R McGrattan, A Savage, Gabriel Clarke, B McGourty, K Courtney, S Wilson, E Clarke, G Johnson, P Coulter.

www.bbc.co.uk/ni

Dinny Breen

QuoteDerry will have a full team out on Saturady.

So no excuse for their hammering, Kildare are a consistent Ring side and aren't far from making the breakthrough, should make the semi's I think for a 3rd consecutive year...
#newbridgeornowhere

slow corner back

God result for Kildare especially up in Celtic Park, did not see it coming myself but fair play to Kildare.

Gnevin

Quote from: slow corner back on July 01, 2007, 08:28:08 PM
God result for Kildare especially up in Celtic Park, did not see it coming myself but fair play to Kildare.
Really shows the pointlessness of the ulster championship when a team like Kildare who are no where near Leinster's (admittedly terrible) standard can well beat the ulster runners up
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

QuoteReally shows the pointlessness of the ulster championship when a team like Kildare who are no where near Leinster's (admittedly terrible) standard can well beat the ulster runners up

The gap here is closing as counties like Kildare, Meath and Westmeath are putting resources into hurling, Kildare's u/21s only lost to Dublin's u21s who are in the Leinster final by 5 points and had chances to win that game. But the Christy Ring for Kildare as it a competition that is really bringing on Kildare hurling...
#newbridgeornowhere

johnneycool

Down's chances of going any further in the Christy Ring took a bit of a blow yesterday when both Magic and Liam Clarke were injured in a club game. Magic's shoulder looked fucked and he went for an x-ray after the game. Wee Liam took a slap in the back of the hand when he was clearing the ball, swoll up like a bap and may be broken as well.
With Paddy Hughes getting a straight red for a bit of wrestling the already threadbare squad looks fucked now.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

With the limited options available for Down in the half back line now it looks like Simon Wilson and possibly Ciaran Courtney could be moved back. Would suit big Ciaran far better facing the ball and his strength in the air would be an advantage.

Expect Ciaran Coulter to start in attack to replace the one or two lads moving back - if the rumours about John Murphy are true it doersn't look good, no harm to the guys but not senior inter county standard at all. Surely drafting in the likes of young Conor Woods would be a better option?

johnneycool

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on July 04, 2007, 03:49:06 PM
Surely drafting in the likes of young Conor Woods would be a better option?

John Murphy has been one of the ever present individuals at training so he deserves his chance if he gets it. Parachuting players in has backfired already with this management.

No1

JC, I see your clubmate is endearing himself to his managers and teammates in todays Gaelic Life.  The Loughinisland footballer would have been safer keeping quiet till after the game this weekend.

tayto

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2007, 08:16:14 AM
QuoteReally shows the pointlessness of the ulster championship when a team like Kildare who are no where near Leinster's (admittedly terrible) standard can well beat the ulster runners up

The gap here is closing as counties like Kildare, Meath and Westmeath are putting resources into hurling, Kildare's u/21s only lost to Dublin's u21s who are in the Leinster final by 5 points and had chances to win that game. But the Christy Ring for Kildare as it a competition that is really bringing on Kildare hurling...

Kildare had their chances to win that game but the Dublin keeper made a couple of good saves.
All be it an away game midweek and we were and are missing two key players [and a couple of others]
Heard there's serious work going on in Kildare, long may it continue.

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on July 06, 2007, 09:40:57 AM
  JC, I see your clubmate is endearing himself to his managers and teammates in todays Gaelic Life.  The Loughinisland footballer would have been safer keeping quiet till after the game this weekend.

What did the big man say?

I personally wouldn't let him out of the parish, you just don't know what he'll say or do!!

I hear that a load of boys got good odds on Kerry with ladbrokes and made a killing with one fella having his bet withheld as ladbrokes as they investigate...

Lone Shark

Quote from: johnneycool on July 09, 2007, 09:03:46 AM

I personally wouldn't let him out of the parish, you just don't know what he'll say or do!!

I hear that a load of boys got good odds on Kerry with ladbrokes and made a killing with one fella having his bet withheld as ladbrokes as they investigate...

Get your facts straight. We are not with-holding any bets. We may disagree on what went on here but I would not stand by while my company doesn't play fair.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lone Shark on July 10, 2007, 01:42:58 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 09, 2007, 09:03:46 AM

Get your facts straight. We are not with-holding any bets. We may disagree on what went on here but I would not stand by while my company doesn't play fair.
Fair enough, I was only repeating what I was told and it was obviously bollocks. I'll apologise for that but you did imply that the Down hurlers weren't trying on the rackard thread and whilst Down were understrength I'm sure most of the lads give there all no matter if their ability was lacking.

As a matter of interest on a similar matter, how did you set the odds for the Cork/Waterford Munster semi-final considering that the Cork boys appeals were being heard right up till the saturday night before the game?

Lone Shark

I wouldn't say it like that - I would say that a lot of your own county men implied that they weren't going to try by their betting patterns, and certainly the match result did nothing to contradict that theory. I don't think you realise quite how rare it is for people to back against their own county in GAA in a vital championship match - I honestly can say I don't remember ever seeing it before.

I also think that although understrength, it still was a disgraceful result with twelve of the team that started against Westmeath. If ye lost by two or three I might be a bit more sympathetic.

On the Cork/Waterford game I took the punt beforehand that they wouldn't get off, but was then prepared to change the odds if necessary - I had a journalist on the scene ready to text me if the boys got a reprieve.