Christy Ring Cup 2007

Started by Lecale2, June 27, 2007, 03:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 07, 2007, 05:18:19 PM
Quote from: Mentalman on August 07, 2007, 03:28:08 PMStrange one, realistically how can they play in both?

I can only assume that they will be treated the same as the counties in Division 4 of the league, i.e. you're into the Tommy Murphy/Christy Ring unless u make ur provincial final. But then again doesn't the Christy Ring begin at the same time as the LSHC??? My head hurts...

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2007, 04:08:44 PM
In fairness the hurling folk in the county were quite confident going up to Croker but with the bus breaking down etc they had no luck, then in the first half 12 wides and the 2nd Westmeath goal was a clear foul on the goalie as well. However the U/21's were only beaten by 5pt against the Leinster Champions and the minors reached the All-Ireland B final. Hurling is on the up in the county and the likes of Kennedy and O'Dowd will bring on our hurlers. The future is bright, baby steps is the key though..

I would imagine that the bus breaking down had a big physcologial effect on the Kildare team, they didn't look at all settled on the field and were very slow out of the blocks. Couldn't figure out for the life of me how they had beaten an Eastmeath team we had drawn with in Naavaan until I heard about the bus...

We'll never know now I suppose. On the night against Meath the Kildare midfield and half backs looked the business, and never let the likes of Bislane near the ball, but they didn't have a stitch of a forward. On the basis I thought Westmeath would win, in as much as we've proved in every match to have naother gear when the chips are down, but it would be tighter. On the day, other than Kennedy, Kildare were miles away from their men until it was too late.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Farrandeelin

Will there be any relegation/promotion from the Christy Ring Cup to the Nickey Rackard cup this year? Afterall, there isn't from the Liam McCarthy Cup to the Christy Ring Cup
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mentalman

Wanted to post this a couple of days back but couldn't get on the board:

Qualter steps down as Westmeath hurling boss
14/08/2007 - 09:04:25

Christy Ring Cup champions Westmeath are on the lookout for a new manager after Seamus Qualter's decision to step down from the position he has held for more than two years.

Westmeath beat Kildare 2-15 to 0-13 on August 5 to win their second Christy Ring Cup during Qualter's reign, but the Galway native feels he has done all he can with the Lake county.

Between being a selector and manager, Qualter has been involved in the Westmeath set-up for the past four years. He took over as interim manager from Tom Ryan in May 2005, after Ryan quit when only 13 players turned up for a training session.

Qualter steered Westmeath to victory in the inaugural Christy Ring Cup but the following year, they were beaten by Dublin in a relegation play-off and lost their All-Ireland championship status.

But following a solid league campaign in 2007 - they reached a National League Division Two semi-final - Qualter's side mounted a determined challenge to annex their second Ring Cup title.

There were wins over Down, Mayo and Kerry and a draw with neighbours Meath in the group stages, they downed last year's beaten finalists Carlow in the last-four and Kildare were no match for them in the Croke Park decider.

The win earned Westmeath an invite to play in the 2008 Leinster championship but Qualter, a member of the Southern Gaels club in Athlone, will not be at the helm for next season.

The Westmeath County Board has thanked Qualter for the many years he has given to the county's senior hurling team, firstly as a player, then as a selector and finally, as team manager.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhcwmheyidid/

Great pity, we could badly do with hi again next year, I would imagine he hasa better offer on the table, could luck to the lad, he was instrumental in the best period of Westmeath hurling in my lifetime I imagine. Thanks Seamus! Íarmhí Abú!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Gnevin

If westmeath a good enough for Leinster they are good enough for Liam.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Croí na hÉireann

Qualter did a good job alright, was never afraid to speak up when the lads were looked over and always seemed passionate and committed. Short turnaround after the Tom Ryan shambles and all the messing seemed to come to a quick end...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...