Sam Maguire 2024 Group 1 - Galway, Armagh, Derry, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 13, 2024, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Is the Armagh Westmeath game on TV. The gaago overseas schedule is not showing it 

JoG2

Quote from: dec on May 22, 2024, 01:06:22 AMIs the Armagh Westmeath game on TV. The gaago overseas schedule is not showing it

The Dublin and Donegal games are being shown on Sat Dec

naka

Quote from: dec on May 22, 2024, 01:06:22 AMIs the Armagh Westmeath game on TV. The gaago overseas schedule is not showing it
No it's not on GAAGO

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2024, 07:30:21 PMLast week Derry were 6/1 for Sam and Galway were 12/1
Today Derry are 12/1 and Galway are 9/1

That's fair based on form.
Derry are at risk of the wheels coming off this year - even Armagh might beat us.  ;)

SouthOfThe Bann

If Armagh replicate their performance from the first 55 mins of the Ulster Final I think they could beat Derry with a bit to spare, especially if Derry's injuries dont clear up.

A lot of ifs and buts though.

statto

Is there any reason with games being played next week why the GAA can't confirm the dates and times of next weekends fixtures so that supporters can sort travel/accomodation if required.  I understand last round of games are neutral and undecided but why could they not announce the venues/times for the first two rounds at one time. 

JoG2

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on May 22, 2024, 02:28:08 PMIf Armagh replicate their performance from the first 55 mins of the Ulster Final I think they could beat Derry with a bit to spare, especially if Derry's injuries dont clear up.

Think they play for 77+ mins in games these days

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: JoG2 on May 22, 2024, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on May 22, 2024, 02:28:08 PMIf Armagh replicate their performance from the first 55 mins of the Ulster Final I think they could beat Derry with a bit to spare, especially if Derry's injuries dont clear up.

Think they play for 77+ mins in games these days

Derry only played for 22 the last day.

They have a bit to go.

armaghniac

Quote from: statto on May 22, 2024, 02:34:46 PMIs there any reason with games being played next week why the GAA can't confirm the dates and times of next weekends fixtures so that supporters can sort travel/accomodation if required.  I understand last round of games are neutral and undecided but why could they not announce the venues/times for the first two rounds at one time. 

They draw the groups before all the teams are known, but still cannot even determine the time of the likes of Derry and Armagh when it was known for 3 weeks that Derry would be playing either Armagh or Donegal. Since neither of these counties are very far away and as both would bring a crowd, then it didn't really matter which one was going to come.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2024, 07:30:21 PMLast week Derry were 6/1 for Sam and Galway were 12/1

Galway have put themselves in a great position to win the group now and that would likely have a massive impact on their chances of winning Sam.

Derry by contrast are very unlikely to top the group, so if they do get out of the group they will end up going the much much harder (close to impossible) preliminary quarter-final route.

twohands!!!

Quote from: statto on May 22, 2024, 02:34:46 PMIs there any reason with games being played next week why the GAA can't confirm the dates and times of next weekends fixtures so that supporters can sort travel/accomodation if required.  I understand last round of games are neutral and undecided but why could they not announce the venues/times for the first two rounds at one time. 

The thing is that this surely has to impact ticket sales.

The group draw was made on April 30th. On that date it was known that Derry would be playing at home against the loser of the Ulster final on the weekend of the June 1st/2nd.

On the 12th of May, Armagh were confirmed as being the opposition for Derry in this game.

10 days have passed by since then and there is still no confirmation of the date, location, or time.

It's a similar situation for all the final round games.

That's 10 additional days of ticket sales. Whatever way you want to slice it I doubt that having the tickets on sale for a longer period of time would lead to less overall sales and there has to be a very serious chance that it leads to increased ticket sales.

The season ticket holders and the other types of GAA regulars are pretty much guaranteed to turn up no matter where and when the game is on but even if you sold no additional tickets, it would surely be a benefit to a significant percentage of these thousands of people to know the date/time and location two weeks earlier.

I jsut can't understand why the GAA aren't better on this issue.

illdecide

Armagh will need to beat Westmeath on Saturday as they travel to Derry next weekend who themselves must now win this one having lost to Galway. Having Galway on a neutral venue will help but they look like they're building momentum and could go far in the Championship but will not win it. Armagh as per usual will be left behind sucking a hind tit.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on May 22, 2024, 07:38:25 PMArmagh will need to beat Westmeath on Saturday as they travel to Derry next weekend who themselves must now win this one having lost to Galway. Having Galway on a neutral venue will help but they look like they're building momentum and could go far in the Championship but will not win it. Armagh as per usual will be left behind sucking a hind tit.
Love to see great support for the lads! ;)

Mario

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 22, 2024, 05:41:05 PM

Galway have put themselves in a great position to win the group now and that would likely have a massive impact on their chances of winning Sam.

Derry by contrast are very unlikely to top the group, so if they do get out of the group they will end up going the much much harder (close to impossible) preliminary quarter-final route.
And if Derry qualify out of their group and win a preliminary quarter they will  play one of the 3 group winners in the quarters. Likely to be Dublin, Kerry or Donegal. Looking very tough atm but I don't think you can say it's close to impossible after 1 season. There will be years where a team gets momentum through this route and wins Sam or gets to a final. Derry might also have a stronger squad come the prelim qf game after Mckinless's suspension is over and hopefully with Doherty, McEvoy, Murphy and maybe even Loughlin back

The group isn't decided yet either. Kerry, Dublin and Derry all failed to win their first group game last year and they topped the group, albeit two of those results were draws.