Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on July 17, 2023, 05:12:19 PM
Armaghniac...you might check th'oul Connacht SFC results and less of the 1 of "Galway/Mayo(sic)" please.

I could have mentioned Donegal and Roscommon, for sure. But it was more typing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BuzzCagney

Derry have some good young players coming through. Will the Tyrone lad stay on to manage?

Derryman forever

Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 17, 2023, 06:43:18 PM
Derry have some good young players coming through. Will the Tyrone lad stay on to manage?

As an outsider looking in , i hope  so.

I don't know Ciaran personally but being originally from screen i am told he can walk on water, and is currently  awaiting canonization .
I suspect that had Gallagher been managing yesterday we would have come much less close in an arm wrestle.

twohands!!!

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 05:12:30 PM
I think it's fixed for a few years. Three or something.

There are far too many games though.

It's fixed for eternity and there is little to no appetite to change anything too significantly within the core GAA.
There may be some slight tinkering around the edges but there won't be any significant changes for at least 5 years and it will most likely be a decade before there is any significant change to the current structure. The Super 8 was fixed for 3 years.

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 17, 2023, 04:27:00 PM
I didn't think Glass was bad, he didn't stand out, to me alot due to the change in what he was required to do. He def too nice at times, just the way the lad is, he's a nice guy, and wouldn't be a fierce enforcer which Derry needed like F Doherty, D Heaney,, B McGilligan. Derry playing a year in Division 1 for the first time since 2015, will bring them on. There probably 2/3 changes required on the team plus the bench needs strengthen by 5 plus. Only good forward coming out of Derry but not yet on the County Team is, McCullagh of Slaughtneil. Think they need to go bck and add 3/4 Glen men to the team for cover. E Bradley I actually start at wing forward.
Glass half full ?

tbrick18

Derry have some good young players coming through. Will the Tyrone lad stay
on to manage?

Don't know. He might not want to be the main man.
I think he has earned a crack at it given how this year has panned out if he does want it.
Talk was he was brought in originally to sort out the defensive system, so maybe Gallagher got a bit too much credit for that - perhaps Meenagh was the brains all along.

Personally hope he stays as I think there's progress again this year and consistency is key to keep that going. New management with new ideas could set us back a few years again and we might miss a window of opportunity.

screenexile

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 05:05:18 PM
What was it? Club rivalry or was there a Toxic evironment left after the departure of the two Brothers?

I think all that shit was overplayed. We didn't have that many good footballers and the County started to fall and so interest in playing for the County fell as well. Getting a charismatic manager with a good CV made sure the best lads were 100% committed and playing for the jersey. The "toxic rivalry" stuff wasn't really true yes clubs fell out during games but it was no worse than any other county from what I could see!

toby47

Quote from: screenexile on July 17, 2023, 09:23:58 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 05:05:18 PM
What was it? Club rivalry or was there a Toxic evironment left after the departure of the two Brothers?

I think all that shit was overplayed. We didn't have that many good footballers and the County started to fall and so interest in playing for the County fell as well. Getting a charismatic manager with a good CV made sure the beat lads were 100% committed and playing for the jersey. The "toxic rivalry" stuff wasn't really true yes clubs fell out during games but it was no worse than any other county from what I could see!

Completely agree. Poor management set up after poor management set up

imtommygunn

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 17, 2023, 09:18:29 PM
Derry have some good young players coming through. Will the Tyrone lad stay
on to manage?

Don't know. He might not want to be the main man.
I think he has earned a crack at it given how this year has panned out if he does want it.
Talk was he was brought in originally to sort out the defensive system, so maybe Gallagher got a bit too much credit for that - perhaps Meenagh was the brains all along.

Personally hope he stays as I think there's progress again this year and consistency is key to keep that going. New management with new ideas could set us back a few years again and we might miss a window of opportunity.

Honestly think Derry wouldn't have played like that under Gallagher and meenagh deserves a lot of credit for how Derry setup and played.

When a county falls these days it takes a long time to come back. If you're going badly then there's too much commitment required and then you don't get full buy in. Almost takes success to get buy in so almost chicken and egg.Derry kind of fell into that.

An Watcher

The fear from a derry perspective is that they should be striking when the irons hot.  An injury to Rodgers or glass next year could derail any all ireland plans.  Look at armagh, probably should have had more all irelands before eventually getting over the line.  Then look at mayo. 

WT4E

Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 16, 2023, 07:51:23 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on July 16, 2023, 06:54:55 PM
Kerry's defensive play has improved massively the last few years

All credit to Paddy Tally

This kerry outfit has Tally fingerprints all over it. A dogged cynical outfit. But if they win does it really matter.

Aaron Boone

It's important that Tyrone coaches are doing well across the island.

It means a bigger interviewee pool for when the biggest job of all next comes up. 

Piskin

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 02:08:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 17, 2023, 01:34:52 PM
https://twitter.com/gaa__joe/status/1680880345019809792?s=46&t=zgzuYWfgC5dD3Y5jl1Xd6A

Oisin McConville showing us he doesn't know if it's pumped or stuffed.

Intercounty manager!! Someone send him the rules, deliberate trip, black card, accidental trip a free, but very strange considering Joe biased

Mc Quillan had a stinker as usual, two Kerry frees near the end were laughable, only Derry blew up and their decision making with it had a bigger impact than his incompetence he could have robbed them.
Only people that can't see that is obviously Kerry people and yourself, not overly supprised at either.
I am starting to see what brolly is implying this years that Kerry are the most cynical team in the game. With Referees like that I can't see them changing.

How did Antrim do this year?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Piskin on July 17, 2023, 11:09:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 02:08:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 17, 2023, 01:34:52 PM
https://twitter.com/gaa__joe/status/1680880345019809792?s=46&t=zgzuYWfgC5dD3Y5jl1Xd6A

Oisin McConville showing us he doesn't know if it's pumped or stuffed.

Intercounty manager!! Someone send him the rules, deliberate trip, black card, accidental trip a free, but very strange considering Joe biased

Mc Quillan had a stinker as usual, two Kerry frees near the end were laughable, only Derry blew up and their decision making with it had a bigger impact than his incompetence he could have robbed them.
Only people that can't see that is obviously Kerry people and yourself, not overly supprised at either.
I am starting to see what brolly is implying this years that Kerry are the most cynical team in the game. With Referees like that I can't see them changing.

How did Antrim do this year?

We are Div one hurling and Liam McCarthy. That's all I'm interested in. Bog ball/basketball/lateral football/15 men behind the ball is piss, a bit like your posts ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Piskin

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 16, 2023, 11:58:05 PM
Dirtiest bunch of pricks we played in years, and we played everybody past 4yrs.Understand why Tyrone detest them so much. Hope Dublin beat them out of the field.

Take your beating like a man....