RTE crisis

Started by seafoid, June 27, 2023, 12:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/06/28/live-rte-pay-scandal-latest-ryan-tubridy-salary-controversy-oireachtas-committee-dee-forbes/

Siún Ní Raghallaigh full statement.

At the outset, I wish to reiterate our profound regret regarding what has emerged in recent days.

RTE fell far short of the standards expected of us as an organisation.

I apologise for this egregious breach of trust with the public.

1am also mindful that this Committee, and others, were in the past presented with information that was simply untrue. That was a breach of trust with you, the elected members of the Oireachtas, for which we sincerely apologise.

ADVERTISEMENT
The public, RTE staff, and public representatives are angry and hurt.

We know that our bond of trust with the public is tarnished.

We know that trust is precious, and that once lost, trust is difficult to regain.

Step by step we will work to rebuild that trust.

We will not flinch in this regard.

We know that this will be challenging, but we are committed to doing so, in order that confidence in Ireland's national public service broadcaster can be restored.

We are committed to providing you with as much detail as possible and we wish to be as open and frank as we can

As you know, and as set out in our statement of last week, in late March of this year during a routine audit of RTE's 2022 accounts, an issue was identified in relation to the transparency of certain payments.

The auditors sought further information and informed the Audit and Risk Committee of the RTE

Board of their concerns. The Audit and Risk Committee promptly commissioned Grant Thornton to carry out the independent fact-finding review on the matter in question.

The facts were established by Grant Thornton and presented to the Audit and Risk Committee of the

RTE Board on Friday 16 June 2023 and then to the RT Board the following Monday June 19 2023.

On receiving the Grant Thornton findings, the Board asked RTE to conduct an internal review of earnings paid to Mr Tubridy in previous years, and through that review it was identified that Mr.

Tubridy's remuneration had been understated by RTE by a figure of €120,000 over the contract period of 2017-2019. To be clear, this was understated in the figures that were published by RTE relating to the top 10 highest earning on air presenters, which in turn were communicated to Government and the Oireachtas and to the public. Mr Tubridy's earnings were correctly accounted for in the RTE accounts, and the earnings he received were what he was contractually entitled to. In addition, for the record, I want to confirm that he did not receive an exit fee.

The circumstances that led to this understatement by RTE are currently under examination by a second Grant Thornton review and the findings of that review are expected within four weeks. Why this figure was understated - and by whom - that is the question we as a Board are also very anxious to know the answer to.

Within four days of the first Grant Thornton review being received by the RTE Board on Monday June 19th, the Board released a statement outlining our understanding of Mr Tubridy's earnings, including for the period 2017 -2019.

This issue has remained under active review and yesterday RTE issued a further statement, detailing its understanding of what happened, how it happened, and who was responsible for different aspects of the arrangement.

The full Grant Thornton fact finding review was also published yesterday,

Separately, we will of course be working closely with all aspects of the Government appointed independent, external review process when it commences.

I also wish at this point to acknowledge the upset and distress being caused to the independent production sector in Ireland, a community I know well. Their wellbeing is very much contingent on the wellbeing of RTÉ also.

As I have said previously, RTE is an organisation of more than 1,800 people. I apologise to each and every one of them for the distress they are experiencing as they deal with the shadow that has fallen over this organisation.

I want to assure this Committee and the public that the Board is committed to ensuring that we get full clarity on this, that there is accountability for it, and that it never happens again.

In conclusion I wish to say that today we will endeavour, to the very best of our ability, to answer, all questions you may put to us.

As public representatives you deserve nothing less.

AustinPowers

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2023, 12:32:18 PM
The old mental health card comes in handy. It's a pandemic of it own now.

Who has  played that card? 

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 28, 2023, 02:18:26 PM

Dee Forbes

Eamonnca1

I get the impression she went into RTE in the hope of straightening the place out because she knew it was a bureaucratic clusterf***, but was up against resistance from the anti-change crowd within. Now it looks like she's been scapegoated by the board who are trying to cover their asses. I've been watching the Oireachtas hearings on this and it's just a load of cross-finger-pointing. Everybody within RTE seems to be equally outraged about it. It's grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre, and unprecedented.

trailer

The Ex Director General, Dee Forbes. Anyone in any sort of bother now wheels out this line. No word of it before last week all the same. No word before she was asked to account for her actions. Was she seeing anyone before this all blew up? Honest question. Takes away from people who are genuinely struggling.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2023, 02:14:54 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/06/28/live-rte-pay-scandal-latest-ryan-tubridy-salary-controversy-oireachtas-committee-dee-forbes/

Siún Ní Raghallaigh full statement.

At the outset, I wish to reiterate our profound regret regarding what has emerged in recent days.

RTE fell far short of the standards expected of us as an organisation.

I apologise for this egregious breach of trust with the public.

1am also mindful that this Committee, and others, were in the past presented with information that was simply untrue. That was a breach of trust with you, the elected members of the Oireachtas, for which we sincerely apologise.

ADVERTISEMENT
The public, RTE staff, and public representatives are angry and hurt.

We know that our bond of trust with the public is tarnished.

We know that trust is precious, and that once lost, trust is difficult to regain.

Step by step we will work to rebuild that trust.

We will not flinch in this regard.

Lessons have been learned.

quit yo jibbajabba

Thats all we ever really wanted to hear

seafoid

Dee Forbes was holding everything up. It will be interesting to see how the Tubs issue is resolved. 

seafoid

The chair of RTÉ
https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/06/28/live-rte-pay-scandal-latest-ryan-tubridy-salary-controversy-oireachtas-committee-dee-forbes/This is why we are here. It is a culture that is in there that accepts that, well, that is approved by the [director general] so I am not going to talk about it.

"And I think all of the people here would agree now that that's wrong... For me that was a shocking part of it as well, that there wasn't the conversation that we all assumed would happen. But each of them in their each own individual area, as you said, it was siloed."

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/06/28/not-tenable-for-tubridy-to-return-to-air-amid-ongoing-controversy-rte-acting-dg-says/(Opens in new window)

Oireachtas

'Not tenable' for Tubridy to return to air amid ongoing controversy, RTÉ acting DG saysPatrick Kielty deal will be discussed by remuneration committee on Friday, politicians told

Expand

RTE board members and executives (left to right) Chief Financial Officer Richard Collins, staff representative to the board Robert Shortt, RTE Interim Deputy Director General Adrian Lynch, RTE Chairperson of the board Siun Ni Raghallaigh, Strategy Director Rory Coveney, board member Anne O'Leary and RTE Commercial Director Geraldine O'Leary leave the Committee on Tourism, Culture, Arts, Sport and Media at Leinster House, Dublin. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA

Colm Keena

Wed Jun 28 2023 - 19:17

It is "not tenable" for the presenter Ryan Tubridy to appear on air in the context of the ongoing controversy over payments to him, an Oireachtas committee has been told by the interim director general of the national broadcaster.

Adrian Lynch, who told the Committee on Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht that he was editor-in-chief of the national broadcaster, was questioned by a number of politicians about when the presenter would be returning to the airwaves, but did not give a definitive answer.

He said that it "is impossible for Ryan Tubridy to be back on air" due to what he described as "editorial reasons".

Pressed on whether the former Late Late Show host would return eventually to the airwaves, he said: "Again, can I just say for editorial reasons he is not on air at the moment."

READ MORE

'Not tenable' for Tubridy to return to air amid ongoing controversy, RTÉ acting DG says

RTÉ payments controversy: Executives tell Oireachtas committee of 'cultural issue' and say it will publish Kielty deal if he agrees

RTÉ struggling with fallout from Tubridy's secret pay deal

Ryan Tubridy rejects RTÉ's claim he is out of contract as pay controversy deepens

He said the presenter's TV and radio contract ended on May 31st and negotiations on a radio-only contract were currently suspended. Mr Tubridy was continuing to be paid on a radio-only basis, he said, but was not currently appearing on air.

Responding to questioning from the committee chair, Niamh Smyth, the chair of the RTÉ board, Siun Ní Raghallaigh, said the deal negotiated with Patrick Kielty, who is to replace Mr Tubridy as presenter of the Late Late Show, will be discussed by the board's remuneration committee on Friday.

Learn more

RTÉ's chief financial officer, Richard Collins, said the contract had been signed by both sides.

Ms Smyth asked that the details of Mr Kielty's contract be disclosed to the committee on Friday evening or Monday morning, and that if anyone had an objection to that being done, that the committee should be so informed.

RTÉ News reported on Wednesday night that Mr Kielty wished to make his fee public once the appropriate processes have concluded.

Ms Ní Raghallaigh told the committee the RTÉ board sought the resignation of the Director General, Dee Forbes, on Monday of last week, and initiated a disciplinary process when she did not agree to go.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2023, 05:00:30 PM

The Ex Director General, Dee Forbes. Anyone in any sort of bother now wheels out this line. No word of it before last week all the same. No word before she was asked to account for her actions. Was she seeing anyone before this all blew up? Honest question. Takes away from people who are genuinely struggling.

There's more to this story than meets the eye. In her resignation statement she had stern words for the RTE board, saying they didn't treat her with a whole lot of respect.  I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been giving her a hard time and it was causing her stress.

Eamonnca1

Dee Forbes' statement in full

I regret very much the upset and adverse publicity suffered by RTÉ, its staff and the unease created among the public in recent days. As Director General, I am the person ultimately accountable for what happens within the organisation and I take that responsibility seriously. I am tendering my resignation to RTÉ with immediate effect.

I have engaged with and consistently co-operated with the processes directed towards answering questions surrounding payments to Ryan Tubridy. Much of the information in the Grant Thornton Report furnished to the Board of RTÉ has emerged in recent days. There are a number of points which I think are important to emphasise.

Read Next
Related Reads

Arts Minister announces external review into governance and culture at RTÉ

RTÉ's case for licence fee hike in tatters as politicians take delight in having the upper hand

Inside RTÉ: Pay, roster and contract issues constant for lower paid staff
In early 2020 RTÉ began discussions around the renewal of Ryan Tubridy's contract. That contract contained contractual payments that had been negotiated and put in place prior to my arrival at RTÉ. Discussions on the new contract were taking place in the context of major organisational challenges and a commitment from the RTÉ Executive Board to the Board and the Government to reduce the fees paid to RTÉ's top talent by a further 15% overall as part of a wider cost cutting strategy.

As Director General, I led the discussions with the agent for Ryan Tubridy together with other RTÉ senior executives. We were keen to make a cost saving for RTÉ in respect of a contractual payment which was due to be paid. At the same time, we were attempting to retain Ryan Tubridy's services as a valued presenter and negotiate a new contract, with the agreed 15% cost cutting target in mind. In an effort to find a solution to the budgetary challenges, we explored if a long serving commercial partner might take on a commercial relationship directly with Ryan Tubridy.

Following detailed discussions including numerous internal communications over many months with RTÉ colleagues, including finance and legal colleagues, an agreement was reached which delivered cost savings for RTÉ. This agreement meant that the commercial partner would enter into a separate commercial contract with Ryan Tubridy for €75k in exchange for the provision of three events annually.

As a result of the negotiated cost saving agreement, RTÉ would no longer be liable for a contractual payment that was due in 2020. This new commercial agreement required that RTÉ guarantee and underwrite the €75K payments.

The commercial partner agreed to this new business relationship with Ryan Tubridy, but they required the change to be cost neutral, as they were in the final year of a three-year sponsorship contract and this was done by issuing a credit note for €75k against their airtime.

I did not at any stage act contrary to any advice.  Unfortunately, the pandemic restrictions meant that the commitment to the commercial client could not be met in 2020 and 2021 and was only delivered in 2022. The commercial partner informed us that the commercial arrangement was not going to work for them in the long term. At this point, only one €75k payment had been made.

Payment was sought for the 2021 and 2022 contractual commitments that now fell to RTÉ under the guarantee even though RTÉ had never expected to become liable for them and had not budgeted for them. Because of the commercial nature of the arrangement, it was decided to pay the invoices from the commercial barter account which was in credit. We were motivated purely by the need to find a solution to honour the contractual obligation.

At all times, I and the representatives of RTÉ acted in good faith. I fully accept and acknowledge responsibility for my part in these events as Director General.

This statement is directed to the events of 2020-2022. I understand from media reports and RTÉ's statement that the Board has raised questions concerning payments to Ryan Tubridy between 2017-2019. I have no knowledge of those payments and the Board has not raised those questions with me.

Finally, I want to reiterate that I have engaged fully with the Board during this process. However, the Board has not treated me with anything approaching the levels of fairness, equity and respect that anyone should expect as an employee, a colleague or a person. All of this has had a very serious and ongoing impact on my health and wellbeing.

I am deeply sorry for what has happened and my part in this episode and for that I apologise unreservedly to everyone.

I care very deeply about RTÉ, the people who work for it, the public it serves, its mission, values, its unique position as a public service broadcaster and its reputation. I will continue to do so as RTÉ moves forward under the new Director General.

seafoid

The issue of why it was covered up when pay restraint was in place is key. Nobody has answered this. Forbes is the only one who can explain.

Forbes was suspended after RTÉ  asked her to resign and she refused.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/06/29/nine-things-we-learned-from-the-first-day-of-rte-explanations-at-oireachtas-committee/?

There was more information about Ryan Tubridy's future - if not clarity - with confirmation that his Radio and TV combined contract came to an end at the end of May (although sources close to him dispute this), and negotiations for a radio-only contract have been paused. He remains off air for the foreseeable, but it seems he will be on our screens again with appearance at the committee by Kelly and Tubridy in the offing after chair Niamh Smyth signalled her support for such a move.

Captain Scarlet

Tubridy is the big shiny thing everyone wants to chat about but the Toy Show Musical was also brought up yesterday. A terrible money grabbing idea that bombed.

GAAGO is not sound governance either and they won't get money to improve it either.

The lad who modernised An Post wasn't wanted for the top job clearly...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.