Sam Maguire Group 4 - Derry, Clare, Monaghan, Donegal

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Brendan on June 18, 2023, 09:27:09 AM
Hard to see Derry matching the form they had before Gallagher got the boot, will a quarter final be as far as we get this year? Get a settled manager in for next year and give it a better go

If we make a semi (big ask) surely Meenagh deserves a crack at it?

Angus MacGyver

It is a nailed on certainty that Monaghan will be drawn to play Tyrone in Omagh next week.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 18, 2023, 10:18:22 AM
Hard to see Derry matching the form they had before Gallagher got the boot, will a quarter final be as far as we get this year? Get a settled manager in for next year and give it a better go

Will be a bigger ask for their Quarter Final opponents to reach the last 4. That will be their 3rd game in 14 days.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

restorepride

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 18, 2023, 10:34:57 AM

Will be a bigger ask for their Quarter Final opponents to reach the last 4. That will be their 3rd game in 14 days.
Depends on their trajectory.  Donegal, for example, will feed off the momentum they have created.

seafoid

Quote from: Angus MacGyver on June 18, 2023, 10:19:33 AM
It is a nailed on certainty that Monaghan will be drawn to play Tyrone in Omagh next week.
Tyrone or Kerry

JoG2

He does surely. Need McKaigue back in to bolster the defense. Few assumptions here (Mayo top group, Kerry beat Louth and Dublin beat Sligo by more than Roscommon beat Kildare), we're looking at the following as possible q/f opponents:

Kerry
Cork
Tyrone
Roscommon
Kildare

Be interesting to see how everything pans out today and tomorrow's draw.

screenexile

Spot the Watty who doesn't want O'Rourke to leave!! 😂😂

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2023, 12:30:12 PM

Was gona post same earlier Screen but said i wouldnt start 😃

#Malachyin 😉

Derryman forever

[/quote

Is O Rourke really the best option?

If Meenagh takes them to a semi and they are competitive why replace him?

bennydorano

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 18, 2023, 12:38:24 PM

Was gona post same earlier Screen but said i wouldnt start 😃

#Malachyin 😉
Yip, I'd say Armagh could come knocking.

Wildweasel74

No matter what happens you need to be going for, O'Rourke, been at 13 Derry games this year and to me they are winning but not the team they were under Gallagher. Derry were very poor first half. The goal they gave away was as bad as you seen all year. Better 2nd half. The ref did let Clare go with constant fouling, alot of the time to break up Derry counterattack. Why it took so long to book players when it was obvious what was happening beyond me. Tackle on Glass was a bad one, I couldn't see excately how he was hit, as was farther up the pitch in the stand. Mcfaul needs to be out round No.11, he's not a corner forward. McGrogan made a few bad mistakes too. Cassidy missed a few easy ones first half but got the range in the 2nd.half.E Doherty needs take the shots on more, sometimes he in better position for taking a point but passed to a man in not as good position. We need him tallying up scores. Support wasn't that great down at it, but you got a 120+ mile trip both ways at 6pm on a sat evening, 2pm start would beem so much better for travelling support.

Mario

Harsh enough on Meenagh. Gallagher prepared the team for the Ulster final. The Monaghan game was a tricky fixture and we dug out a draw. We were excellent v Donegal and won convincingly v Clare. What more can he do. One more win and it has been another brilliant season.

seafoid

Davy Burke could take Derry to the next level hi.

restorepride

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 02:24:30 PM
Davy Burke could take Derry to the next level hi.
It's the 'hi' bit that lets your post down!  Not heartland stuff - more Inis Eoghain. 

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 18, 2023, 01:52:58 PM
No matter what happens you need to be going for, O'Rourke, been at 13 Derry games this year and to me they are winning but not the team they were under Gallagher. Derry were very poor first half. The goal they gave away was as bad as you seen all year. Better 2nd half. The ref did let Clare go with constant fouling, alot of the time to break up Derry counterattack. Why it took so long to book players when it was obvious what was happening beyond me. Tackle on Glass was a bad one, I couldn't see excately how he was hit, as was farther up the pitch in the stand. Mcfaul needs to be out round No.11, he's not a corner forward. McGrogan made a few bad mistakes too. Cassidy missed a few easy ones first half but got the range in the 2nd.half.E Doherty needs take the shots on more, sometimes he in better position for taking a point but passed to a man in not as good position. We need him tallying up scores. Support wasn't that great down at it, but you got a 120+ mile trip both ways at 6pm on a sat evening, 2pm start would beem so much better for travelling support.

I have to say I agree with this.
We're not as sharp or switched on and for me that was the Gallagher effect.
I'd also say lets give Meenagh the rest of the season before discussing his replacement. Through no fault of his own, he was promoted to senior manager when he was there to perform a different role. I believe given the circumstances he's doing well.
He might not want the job, County Board might not want him, or maybe it's a match made. He has been there since Div4, so I'd imagine Derry's rise is at least partly due to him.
I think we should be fair to the man and let him finish the season at least without questioning too much who will replace him.

So far this year we have hit all our goals. Next one will be to win a QF, and I think we have a good chance of that.
What's the odd of us getting Ulster opposition though? Armagh/Tyrone/Donegan/Monaghan all in the mix, it's bound to happen.