Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

I just picked up a book two days ago by Terry Goodkind, it was the final part of a series and it is has been very enjoyable.

I am looking forward to getting a copy of Oisins book, it will be added to the Armagh memorabillia collection in me basement after i read it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

5 Sams

Had a glance through "Princes of Pigskin" in Waterstones last night and the hint was duly dropped to herself last night so hopefully it will be in the stocking. Classy looking publication.

For all youse snobby cnuts out there it might not  be Chekhov or Shakespeare but it's what the the people of this country are interested in!!
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

"Would you like a book for Christmas?"

- "No, thanks. I already have a book".

ONeill

Phew. Couldn't decide what to get you Hardy.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bennydorano

Just finished 'The Road to Croker' by Eamon Sweeney, and although I've always had my suspicions about thon boy for his views on Armagh I thought it was fantastic, probably the best sporting book I've ever read and I've read at least four.  With  a bit of hindsight he wasn't that far of the mark regarding Armagh.

Bought Oisin's book today and The Glory years(cant mind the author).

longball

have oisin book now as well but saving it for over the xmas period
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

thewingedlady

Does anyone know where i might get my hands on the Desmond Fahy book 'How the GAA survived the troubles'.Was in a few book shops in Dublin today but to no avail. If anyone has a copy they could sell on i'd be very interested.

pintsofguinness

There's a few selling it on amazon.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rufus T Firefly

Just finshing David Peace's brilliant novel, the Damned United which, based on fact, tells the story of Brian Howard Clough's days at Deby County and his disastrous short stay at Leeds. Came recommended by no less a literary critic as Billys Boots, whilst Rick Broadbent of the Times wrote in his review,

'Probably the best novel ever written about sport....'

Magnificent!

AZOffaly

I just finished 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGinness, an American Author who spent a season with Castel di Sangro, a tiny team in Italy, after they got promoted all the way to Serie B. The author is a bit of a pain in the arse, especially his attempts to completely overstep his role as a guest by continually arguing tactics with the manager and the way the book is written (it's all about Joe, Joe, Joe), but it's a good read at the same time. The trials and tribulations that go on with the team during the season are unreal, and there's a twist at the end as well.

Well worth it if anyone hasn't read it yet.

Billys Boots

QuoteCame recommended by no less a literary critic as Billys Boots

Glad you liked it Rufus.   ;)  It's the best book I've read this year - do yourself a favour, especially if you remember that era.

Quote'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGinness

I liked this too, and I shared AZ's views on the author.  It's a completely mad story too, and apparently true.  Imagine Longford Town FC, in its present incarnation, being allowed to participate in the English Championship - that would be a good start on the premise involved.  If you like to read about Italian football, 'A Season with Verona' by Tim Parks is good too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

On Italian football, Paggy Agnew's 'Forza Italia' is a good read as well.

Billy, is the Verona book in a similar vein to the Castel di Sangro?

Billys Boots

QuoteBilly, is the Verona book in a similar vein to the Castel di Sangro?

No, it's about an English fellah (don't let that put you off) living in Verona who buys a season ticket for the local club in Serie A - it's a game by game account of the season.  Enjoyable and interesting.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

Just finished Keith Duggan's House of Pain.

One of the best GAA books I have ever read...and I've been through quite a few. Highly recommended.
The Aristocrat Years

bennydorano

Reading INLA Deadly Divisions, only a few chapters in but absolutely fascinating book.