Fun Runs, Mini-Marathons, Half Marathons.

Started by Fishead_Sam, June 07, 2007, 08:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

Hey folks wondering if anyone can help me, Im trying to find listings of Fun Runs, Mini-Marathons, Half Marathons in Ireland esp. in Connacht or Dublin (maybe Midlands or Clare too, don't drive so it be better if accessable from the crap public transports system that the West of Ireland has to put up with). Tried to Google and got no good responses.

Moved home to Mayo about 6 months ago & have just ate and watched tv since, used to run daily & football training up to 6 months ago, so begining to look like a sack of spuds, sh!t have to get out running.

So anyone have a listing of runs from about (give me time to get a little fit again) the first weekend in July onwards, specifically in the 5km - 10km range at first then later in the year the 10-20km range. Hot day today and was weezing just walking, gone so so unfit, need a goal. Not going back playing football as standard higher down here and I crap, so its running me thinks, Any help folks with dates of upcoming Fun-Runs/Mini-Marathons. (Try to avoid clashes with all those back door Mayo matches to the Final :-)

ONeill

Wouldn't mind getting a NI version too. Need to get away from the wife. She has me weeding now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Stranworst

Loada ones I knew did legs in relays in the Belfast marathon there all in aid of bone marrow I think, missed the boat though! Just look out for the next marathons and there will definitely be some sort of thing like that

stephenite

Started training yesterday for the Sydney City to Surf ..... knew I was out of shape but :o

Anyone any good tips about how best to train for these runs - this race is about 10 mile I think but seems to a bit hilly etc.

dec

Quote from: stephenite on June 14, 2007, 12:03:09 AM
Anyone any good tips about how best to train for these runs - this race is about 10 mile I think but seems to a bit hilly etc.
I wrote a few tips for someone asking about a marathon but it should also apply for shorter distances. http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=1437.msg41774#msg41774
The short version
Build up your distance slowly and do most of your training at an easy pace, ie. a speed were you are able to have a conversation comfortably.

stephenite

Cheers Dec, legs a bit stiff today after the first run - think I'll do some stretching followed by a brisk walk rather than risk running again this evening and get back to the runing tomorrow, and keep to that rotation for a few days until I'm used to it again

Bod Mor

Started training yesterday for the Sydney City to Surf ..... knew I was out of shape but :o

I'm thinking about doing this as well this year. Have been going to the gym recently and playing a bit of soccer. Ran 6 kms the other day on the treadmill.
My advice to you would be to do a bit of incline running as well because heartbreak hill will be a killer!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

MacDanger

Have a look at the city to surf website, I think they have a 10 week program on there, not sure how good it is though.

dublin15man

http://www.activeeurope.com/home/index.cfm?STS=AE

You'll have to apply filters for "running" and the whatever region you are interested in.

Most organisers of road races in the Dublin region are listing the races on this site, don't know about the West though. It allows you pay the entry fee by credit card.

Best of Luck

darbyo

Lads regardless of the distance, you should include at least one interval session a week in your training schedule. If you're just starting off and are in poor shape do two long(by your own standards) slow runs per week and one short faster run, so for example you might do two 3 mile runs at 10min mile pace and one 1.5 mile run at 8min mile pace to start off with. Build the distance up over the first month for each run (1/4 mile for each run). So after 1 month you should be running 5 miles at a slow/moderate pace twice a week and one fast 2.5 mile. You may not manage to do this(it depends on your level of fitness starting off, your previous athletic experience, your weight etc.) so just work off the principle of making constant improvements on your previous week. This might mean increasing the distance/speed of only one of your previous weeks runs, if thats all you can manage that's ok. As you get fitter introduce the interval sessions and drop one of the distance runs. The distance your racing will obviously decided the distances you train but for variation, injury prevention, improved running and time management mixing up you training is the best way to train.    

magpie seanie

Good advice Darbyo so while you're at it I might pick your (and others) brains a bit more.

As my football season may be over quite early this season I'm toying with the idea of doing a local 10 mile race. Fitness, while not brilliant, wouldn't be the worst but I've no experience whatsoever of distance running. My main problems with running have been (a) think its boring and (b) suffer with pain in my shins from running on tarmac/road. I reckon I can deal with (a) for a couple of months and my brother, who does quite a bit of running reckons you get over the other problem after a while. Any advice?

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

dublin15man

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 14, 2007, 10:44:31 AM
Good advice Darbyo so while you're at it I might pick your (and others) brains a bit more.

As my football season may be over quite early this season I'm toying with the idea of doing a local 10 mile race. Fitness, while not brilliant, wouldn't be the worst but I've no experience whatsoever of distance running. My main problems with running have been (a) think its boring and (b) suffer with pain in my shins from running on tarmac/road. I reckon I can deal with (a) for a couple of months and my brother, who does quite a bit of running reckons you get over the other problem after a while. Any advice?

There is a good website called www.mapmyrun.com
You can map any route and it will tell you the distance, with markers per mile / km. I find if you pick land marks along your route every mile and keep track of your speed per mile it breaks the run up a bit and dosen't get as boring.